Moderators - what's the point of puting all the videos/screnshots in one thread?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...2#post20524662

I posted a video this morning, but was told to post it at the tail of another thread that is 15 pages long. Does this make any sense? While I respect moderation, what is the purpose of keeping videos and screenshots in one thread that takes forever to load? Meanwhile the above post does not even get deleted? I have been using this forum for quite some time and this seems like poor judgement.

tl:dr Why close the thread and suggest the content be posted in another thread? This forum has over 7000 pages?

Thanks for moderating, it's needed, but I dont understand the logic here!

Best,
    scoops

10+ Year Old Account
    We try to keep similar themes together in one thread to avoid clutter. I've seen, before those stickies were created, most of the first page just being 1-post video threads. Everyone and their mother would post videos, sometimes duplicates of the same video (if one was extra popular that day), and the more interesting discussion-based threads would get pushed off the page where less people would see them.

well, you probably know better for being here more than I am, but to me, it makes no sense. Wont the uninteresting threads just slip into the other 7000 pages? More than 1/5th of the front page is stickies, if space is an issue, maybe remove some of those?

---------- Post added 2013-03-15 at 08:49 PM ----------

lel at moving the topic. You are OVERMODERATING.

No way, THAT person actually did what I said! KUKUKUKUKU

Alright, let's put this into perspective:
    1. If you have a real problem with moderation or a moderator, feel free to PM "Sunshine."
    2. The video megathread is actually for your benefit:
    2.1. You just made some random video and made a thread about it. There is no discussion to be had so no one would post. More than likely your thread would fall off the face of MMO-C forums, be glad you're able to put it in a sticky that people actively look at.
    2.2. You're not allowed to promote your own youtube videos/channels so your thread would have been locked anyway and you might have been infracted if it wasn't Darsithis, but another mod, who closed your thread. You're lucky.
    2.3. I'm sorry to say but your video quality wasn't that great in the first place.

---------- Post added 2013-03-15 at 05:01 PM ----------

He moved the topic because this thread has nothing to do with World of Warcraft General Discussions, it's just you complaining about MMO-C forum policy. That belongs in this sub-forum. That's not over-moderating, that's keeping the forums organized.

15+ Year Old Account
    If we had everyone make a thread for every video, we'd end up being flooded. Keeping them in one place lets people get visibility and makes sure the front page doesn't get overwhelmed.

Besides, this way, your video will always stay in that sticky thread, rather than falling off the front page in a couple hours.

Also, moving the thread was the correct thing to do since this is website feedback. If you have comments or questions on website policies, posting here or PMing me is the best way to change things.

10+ Year Old Account
    UNfortunately, having dozens of videos on one page can lead to a browser crash/system slow-down as well. And yes, good videos dipping into obscurity, because no one wants their system slowed down by visiting a 7000 posts mega-thread.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, people browse it frequently, and I'm not sure which browser/system can't handle the mix of videos / comments / posts at 20 posts per page.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 2013-03-16 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    If we had everyone make a thread for every video, we'd end up being flooded. Keeping them in one place lets people get visibility and makes sure the front page doesn't get overwhelmed.

Besides, this way, your video will always stay in that sticky thread, rather than falling off the front page in a couple hours.

Also, moving the thread was the correct thing to do since this is website feedback. If you have comments or questions on website policies, posting here or PMing me is the best way to change things.
    Thanks for your feedback, I think moving this thread makes sense, however, I think closing a thread serves no purpose. The way these forums work is that people only ready the first two pages anyway, so if the content sucks, it slips away to obscurity. If the content is good, it stays near the top. The users self moderate on their interest.

For me, I'd rather open one thread that says that it contains a video, rather than a 15 page megathread with all different content that takes forever to load.

Again, I understand that being a moderator is a thankless job, I am just offering my thoughts as a long time mmo-champ reader. I appreciate you following up!

Bri

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    No, people browse it frequently, and I'm not sure which browser/system can't handle the mix of videos / comments / posts at 20 posts per page.
    ...Invisionfree/Zeta Boards would like to have a word with you though at the same time I can understand the need to be considerate of folks with varying internet speeds or processor power.

I have a Zeta Board myself and did a stress test on my now 7 year old laptop last summer. What I did was I made a thread and got the post count up to 70 (I took the board offline while I did the test), putting You Tube videos and images (460 x 320) in each of them. My laptop loaded--and played ALL of the videos and pictures being limited only by my internet speed. Then again that was just based on one internet connection. When you're talking several hundred people in the same kind oif scenario it's a different story.

...I apologize for wasting your time ^_^;
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D