Poll: Do you play WoW because you are Addicted, or another reason?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you play WoW because you are Addicted, or another reason?

Lets face it, the game has been out for 8ish years. One does not simply keep playing because there are not better games out there now, there are more underlying reasons.

Do you play WoW because you are addicted to it? For example, you cant get yourself to get away from it because you believe you invested already too much time into it to even consider seriously playing another game?

I think a vast majority of people don't give other games a chance precisely because they are addicted, and therefore treat all other games as "second class" to their one and only god that is WoW (that they just cant get away from).

Is there another reason entirely that you play WoW?

10+ Year Old Account
    Mostly just to pass the time. I have plenty of games to occupy my interest. WoW just holds a niche in the MMORPG grouping for me.

Deleted
    I play WoW because I still enjoy the story, lore, and variety in gameplay. All these different races, classes and specs to play! I have other (single-player) games I enjoy, but the MMO for me is WoW.

Oh trust me, I play WoW because it's still the better MMO out there. I've tried Rift, Swtor, GW2(beta) and non of them made me want to play like WoW did. So yes, one does simply play keep playing because there are no better games out there.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Exactly that, addicted. You make a lot of good points. I've been playing games of this genre back since the commodore 64 days. Always been addicted to games like, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior/Quest. The thing about those games is they come to an end, this game however never comes to an end, i hope. To tell you the truth, if I wasn't home playing Wow I would probably be in the bar drinking or some other stuff, too old for that, so Wow it is :P.

Dan

The game offers nothing but a skinner box-isque play style where 90% of the time we are working for the 10% time we are rewarded for our endeavors.

Anyone who finds Wow or any mmo enjoyable is addicted to some extent, this can extend to any type of online game in general.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like playing RPGs. Have my whole life. Add to that I like playing cooperative multiplayer and MMOs pretty much hold the market. This one is the friendliest for me since I don't have a lot of free time in a given day and my schedule is based around family and work first.

I enjoy playing WoW. I've been playing off and on since Vanilla and regardless of how much time/money I've put into it, I don't feel like it's "too much" to break away from it. I have friends here, I enjoy the content, and there's plenty for me to do to pass time - yet I've been playing especially casually for the past few months because real life has just gotten in the way of serious play. I don't consider myself addicted. I could step away - and have - from the game without dying to come back. The biggest issue for me would be leaving behind WoW-friends, and even that's easily remedied.

Every time I've taken a break and come back to WoW, it's been less of an "OMG I really, really, REALLY want to play this game" and more like "Oh yeah, I used to play this - I guess I'll take up a trial account and see if it's still fun." So if you consider that being addicted...shrug.
    Quote Originally Posted by High General Turalyon View Post
    First, however, I must escape the clutches of the evil warlock Chris Metzonius of Blizzardonia. Only then may I return to Azeroth and smite the Horde with righteous fury!

I enjoy the game and playing my characters. Nothing more, nothing less

OP smells greatly of bias. I don't play anymore, but your poll and tone are... blech.

Deleted
    Think Cataclysm cured most of what addictions there were.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    OP smells greatly of bias. I don't play anymore, but your poll and tone are... blech.
    I definitely dont play it as much as I used to, but I still do play from time to time. I dunno, the glamour of panda land and cheerful sprites and cute pets sort of wore me thin on my enjoyment. The raids arent as epic feeling because everyone and their dog can faceroll their way through with their new lfr option. The mystery, and prestige are all but gone, and that will never be a part of the game again.

10+ Year Old Account
    The things that keep me raiding 9 hours a week are the people I play with. I have been raiding with several of them for at least a year, and my co-gm for about 2.5 years now. I consider them as close as my "IRL" friends.

When the content is really good (like this tier) it's just an added bonus that makes it that much more enjoyable.

I play because I often have nothing better to do. Not many friends. No GF, and honestly I'm not much of a gamer outside of WoW.

I've tried other MMOs, but they never really did much for me. I like WoW and all, but honestly if I could find something that I enjoyed outside of the computer, I'd go do that instead.

I was addicted all throughout vanilla and BC, most of the reason I dropped out of school when I was younger. Now I hardly play games at all though because after playing until early Cata I just feel burned out on every game for some reason.

My friends play the game, that is my reason ;P

Deleted
    Shock horror, I have fun with WoW. I know, mad isn't it.

I stopped really enjoying the game past wrath ( just based on the merits of the game) i did have fun in cata but it was really because of the people i played with and most of the people quit before mop so i did heroic raiding with another guild but it wasn't the same.

Quit shortly after since i did enjoy the game and my close wow friends had moved on so i quit as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being out 8 years makes it better not worse. I play because I still have fun. I do play other mmos but wow is by far the best one. Not to say the other mmos are bad. I have fun on them as well. Wow is just alot more polished. Since I play casual now days its not a big deal if I don't play for a week or more. I would say I used to be addicted but that was while I raided but that was more because I felt like I was letting down my raid team then wanting to play wow. Now that I don't raid I don't realy care if I can play or not.

Would I quit? No far to much as been invested in my players over almost 8 years. If I more important things to do I will not play wow, if its for a day or if its for 6months it does not matter but I will come back when I have the time.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2013-03-19 at 10:22 PM.
    Aye mate

I'm mainly on these days to hang out with guildmates and help out with dungeons or LFR. Can't really play as much as I want because of work and other commitments.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.