Deleted

Help me choose between two laptops

Here's the two laptops:
    http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?j=1293039,1902534

The price difference is cirka 800$, ie Asus is 80$ more expensive (I got extra price on both of them, so don't care about the prices showing)
    Is the price difference worth it?
    The CPU's are supposedly almost as good as each other tests says
    The GPU is better on ASUS
    The screen is better on Dell

So any verdict?

Thanks in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    While we could give advise on a pick between the two, we could also help pick a whole other alternative

What is your budget?
    What do you intend to use the machine for?
    Why do you want a laptop instead of a desktop?
    What do you expect from this machine?
    How important is battery life / weight / size vs. performance to you?

Edit: It should be noted that the graphics cards (7730m vs 740m) both are quite terrible at high-end gaming, even more so on the Dell which is 1080p and running a 7730m. Fill out the above questionnaire

The ASUS is better by raw power but thats not the point why you should get it.

Strictly speaking games, the horrible M GPU's for laptops are actually decent for weak games like WoW up to 1440x900 while the Dell is running 1080p apparently, which strictly speaking games is not good for that type of laptop, pretty but not good.

Go for the ASUS, unless you want 1080p and dont plan to play anything on there, its not that it cant, it will just struggle much more compared to the 768 resolution one which is stronger generally.
    Last edited by potis; 2013-06-28 at 01:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    While we could give advise on a pick between the two, we could also help pick a whole other alternative

What is your budget?
    What do you intend to use the machine for?
    Why do you want a laptop instead of a desktop?
    What do you expect from this machine?
    How important is battery life / weight / size vs. performance to you?

Edit: It should be noted that the graphics cards (7730m vs 740m) both are quite terrible at high-end gaming, even more so on the Dell which is 1080p and running a 7730m. Fill out the above questionnaire
    I did this in a thread earlier and got no answers, hence I found two laptops to decide between. But here my info comes!:
    * Budget - 0-800€
    * Res - 1080p (can live with lower, so don't place any true need on this. 14 or 15.6")
    * Games etc - LoL, don't care about settings ... I.e. no need to be a "gaming-laptop" really (got a desktop for gaming at home so... )
    * Software - Would love if photoshop worked, need to be able to do computer programming also
    * Country - Sweden
    * Parts reused? - Non
    * OS - Included by standard
    * Peripherals - Non needed
    * Needs to be easy to carry with me
    * Battery: Batterytime is important but I can buy a second battery and use that as an alternative
    * It's mainly for uni-work - gonna start studying engineering - computer science @ the uni this autumn.
    Extra: I'd really love if this laptop could outlive 5 years (in terms of being able to do computer coding/internet browsing/word and such "easy" tasks)

Deleted
    If you do any work on it, or will use it for school. Get the dell.
    The higher resolution will be much better for work related stuff. And for gaming you can probably turn the resolution down (if needed).
    The dell also has a full voltage model CPU, which should perform better than a low voltage one.

And also, 1366 x 768 on a 15 inch...... I wouldnt do that.

Just saw your post.
    Are you sure the uni doesnt have a laptop-project thingy. Where it offers a good laptop for a reduced price. Or are there any requirements from them, for the laptop?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    If you do any work on it, or will use it for school. Get the dell.
    The higher resolution will be much better for work related stuff. And for gaming you can probably turn the resolution down (if needed).
    The dell also has a full voltage model CPU, which should perform better than a low voltage one.

And also, 1366 x 768 on a 15 inch...... I wouldnt do that.

Just saw your post.
    Are you sure the uni doesnt have a laptop-project thingy. Where it offers a good laptop for a reduced price. Or are there any requirements from them, for the laptop?
    Haven't heard of such thing. But I'll do a quick secondcheck!
    We got our students card which is 15% of @ Dell and 7% @ Sony. But this one I'm already using on the dell And just a standard big extra price on the Asus (-16.25%)

EDIT:
    The uni I'm going to don't have any program of this kind
    Last edited by mmoc0811aa1cbc; 2013-06-28 at 02:45 PM.

Deleted
    The study program also doesnt have any requirements for you?

Another thing that just occured me. Do you need the laptop right now? Because it might be worth to wait a while longer.
    I think Intel still has to launch some lower end Haswell cpus for laptops, and prices could be a bit lower for some models.

If you need it right now. Out of those 2, I would pick the dell.

Deleted
    The study program also doesnt have any requirements for you?

Another thing that just occured me. Do you need the laptop right now? Because it might be worth to wait a while longer.
    I think Intel still has to launch some lower end Haswell cpus for laptops, and prices could be a bit lower for some models.

If you need it right now. Out of those 2, I would pick the dell.
    Ok, thanks!
    Euhm, I need it when I start studying (or well, I could manage to use my very old laptop if it's coming new cheaper laptops soonish - it's really slow). I'll start studying in august (more precise the 2Xth of august)

EDIT: Would it be worth taking the upgrade of Dell Inspiron (ca 80€ or 100$).
    With it I'll get blueray (don't care rly) and an *i7--3632QM*.
    Last edited by mmoc0811aa1cbc; 2013-06-28 at 03:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roflatorlunde View Post

EDIT: Would it be worth taking the upgrade of Dell Inspiron (ca 80€ or 100$).
    With it I'll get blueray (don't care rly) and an *i7--3632QM*.
    The blu-ray doesnt really matter. But you will a lot more use with that CPU. Will probably be a lot more usefull for your study, than the other cpu.

Deleted
    The blu-ray doesnt really matter. But you will a lot more use with that CPU. Will probably be a lot more usefull for your study, than the other cpu.
    So you think in the end that the upgraded CPU is better? (I mean worth its price; I want it to last as long as possible but still to be "worth its cost")
    Last edited by mmoc0811aa1cbc; 2013-06-28 at 05:17 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, I think its worth it. The gpu will be a bit lacking compared to it. But seeing as you got a desktop for gaming that should be alright.

The i7--3632QM, is a quadcore cpu with hypertreading. So that will help with multi treaded programs, which you might use during your study. It will def be usefull for photoshop, I think that relies more and the CPU

Deleted
    Yes, I think its worth it. The gpu will be a bit lacking compared to it. But seeing as you got a desktop for gaming that should be alright.

The i7--3632QM, is a quadcore cpu with hypertreading. So that will help with multi treaded programs, which you might use during your study. It will def be usefull for photoshop, I think that relies more and the CPU
    Thanks!

10chars