View Poll Results: Do you like the Oondasta encounter?

Voters
489. This poll is closed
  • YES

172 35.17%
  • NO

317 64.83%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    There's no option for me as I have not even bothered with this encounter. The gear is kinda blech. I'm far more interested in Nalak for tier.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

You can see Nalak now if you want, but I couldnt find a way to engage him. Swim around to the back of Isle of Thunder and you'll see him patrolling high up in the air. I could find an easy way into the Thunder Forge room now and that area (swim around the ocean then go up the cliffs and jump down into that area), but couldnt see a way to get close enough to Nalak into his stage 5 area.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2013-03-20 at 02:31 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiea View Post
    You're main concerns are irrelevent, there is no requirement to kill this boss and thus it doesn't matter whether you're enjoying the encounter or not.

With that said, Blizzard did THE MOST retarded thing ever of making loot only accessible to you if you kill him on YOUR server, meaning that any server PvP server that is unbalanced in terms of horde:alliance ratio, the lower side simply CANNOT kill Oondasta.
    So far on EU-Outland, I don't think horde has killed her once. This is why I hate this boss.
    I like how you bring up that a faction hasn't killed Oondasta once, when he has been up max 4 times on each server.

Quote Originally Posted by nipil View Post
    It' not overtuned, it's meant to be done with a heroic raiding organized group.
    Why do ppl keep saying this, if this was the case he wouldnt drop normal non tier non thunderforged 522 gear, hes not any harder tham jin rock too if you have an organized group, wich is where the whole problem lies and why this boss is a compelte failure. You dont just soprout am organised group of 40 ppl out of your behind, save for some very few guilds none have 40 raiders capable of doing oondasta properly, and when you need to form cross guild groups to have some form of organised 40 man team tham schedules become an issue and even if you do manage to pull it out half the server population is farming bones on the Isle of Giants and when the boss spawns theyll simply start to throw theyre bodies at it to help/get loot and all maner of organisation your 40 man team might have had has now gone to hell.

If they want somethign to be tackled by an organised raid use a freaking instance, if its gona be a Wolrd boss its gona be a zergfest no matter what they try so just dont try it because all they managed to do was turn oondasta into a "graveyard run and kill yourself till boss die of boredom encounter".

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Yea thats what I did yesterday. And its fun - whats the problem? I had a blast getting my tag then watching another 100-200 people attempt to zerg him like crazy while I was dead. Thats not something you see in the WORLD of warcraft often these days.
    I assume you are serious. So let's see, run out to Galleon, hit him once with 100 people standing around or run out and hit Oodnasta once with 100 people standing around and then most likly dying. But only Oodnasta offers a "living, breathing world" because people die, unlike Galleon, because no one dies ? If you need a "World" isn't Org or Stormwind where you want to be ? That's where all the people are.

On the flip side, Go out into the real world, How many people do you expect to see out on the hiking trails ? Head out big game hunting in Africa, do you expect to see "hundreds" of people out there with you ? I giggle at you guys and this image you have that the "world" needs to be crammed packed with people when the real world isn't crammed packed with people once you leave the cities.

Fun albeit painful and expensive experience (guild repairs ftw). Seeing literally thousands of skeletons littering the ground was hysterical. My server's only kill was 2 weeks ago, when they still permitted cross realm credit for kills/loot. We had to hound the alliance group present by training adds into them...dick move, yes, but they were a group/guild that had previously left our server, so not a lot of love lost, lol. We had ~120 people present for our kill. The irritating part was that people got DCed with the boss at ~10% hp, came back in when it was at 2-3%, kept attacking him...but no loot, no achieve, nothing. We had been there the better part of 3 hours, too, so needless to say several folks were pissed (one being a guildie of mine). On the other hand, I ended up with a nice shiny new belt. To go through all that and end up with just gold though...kick in the balls. "Hey here's 28g to go toward the 400+g repair bill you probably racked up".

Oondasta really isn't a "difficult" fight necessarily. Ranged stay spread, melee stand and dps. Everyone alternate defensive cooldowns for the roar. He really doesn't seem a "heroic" difficulty boss as blizzard said.

However, what makes him hard is having so many people doing the encounter. When you have tons of people, that lightning jumps like crazy, and takes a lot of people out with it. This mechanic makes the world boss require a ton of people because if you have more than 40, the place gets too crammed. I mean, what did blizzard think was going to happen? People weren't going to join in?

Stupid world boss in my opinion.

I like the idea, but not the way the community has decided to execute the fight.

A coordinated group of 40 with t14H or better would be fine on this, but since it's now faction tag, every Johnny Casual who CBA to read what the abilities do that comes to "help" actually makes it worse. I'd like it if spiritfire beam couldn't bounce between raid groups or something, so that griefers (either intentional or not) wouldn't cause everyone to have a bad time.

I've killed it for the achiv, but sadly every slot he drops I already had 522+ in, so I won't be continuing to do it.

*I'm not saying that Casual = bad or anything, but merely that this is a fight that has heroic-type mechanics but is available to everyone, and those that don't know/learn/care about the mechanics are making it worse for everyone else.*
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

I've killed him twice so far, once on the paladin and once on the druid. Just another loot pinata IMO. And one that I only ever hear about when it is too late to get up to the island.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you mean endless corpse running with thousands of dead people around him ofc I love it, its epic! reminds me of the good old days!

I like it. Feels like an army fighting a Dinosaur God. Every time you die you need to run through the corpse-fields in order to get back to where Oondasta is currently slaughtering desperate heroes. On my realm (Stormscale EU) there are literally hundreds of people there - its just epic. You really get the feeling that if you don't drown this guy in your blood before he leaves the Island then the whole of Pandaria will burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaktor View Post
    I like it. Feels like an army fighting a Dinosaur God. Every time you die you need to run through the corpse-fields in order to get back to where Oondasta is currently slaughtering desperate heroes. On my realm (Stormscale EU) there are literally hundreds of people there - its just epic. You really get the feeling that if you don't drown this guy in your blood before he leaves the Island then the whole of Pandaria will burn.
    Agree. Isnt that more fun and memorable than having a nice little world boss you can kill with 25-40 people and everyone happily goes about their pve rotation, nobody dies, and everyone happily flies off 5 minutes later with some new shinys?

I killed again Oondasta yesterday and it was still quite memorable. Could give reasons such as hundreds of ppl arriving, mass skeletans everywhere, people yelling over where to tank/how to tank/which way to face him, multiple raids forming, much rage and abuse over people not spreading out/standing in front etc. Did I kill sha/galleon this past week on X character? Im not sure - Id have to check my macro again, its just boring and not memorable at all. I fly past, drop down for a few minute, then fly off again. But as a few posters here mentioned, they would be loving the fact they can happily do their pve rotation uninterrupted for 5 minutes so they can fly off and go back to LFR queue.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2013-03-20 at 03:16 PM.

Deleted
    The fight is Fine.
    Mouthbreathers on the realm who cant follow simple instructions like
    "Wait on DPS for tanks to get threat and under control"
    "Stay 10 Yards Apart from each other, if there is no space wait until there is"
    "Dont wait for a res"
    "Stop pulling Dinos into the raid when the boss fight is under way"

And My personal favorite
    "Its Faction Tagged, you dont need to be in the group that pulls it"

Its been killed once (maybe twice) in total on me EU realm, and is pretty much alive all the time due to people not having the ability to listen.

I got 3 loots so far so yeah ;p i actually enjoy it also the gathering and waiting makes it much enjoyable for me ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Winkle View Post
    It's been purposefully designed as anti-zerg, there's a reason Blizzard made chainlightning so deadly, to effectively counter the 100 zerg runs.
    And this is primarily where blizzard failed. Spitfire Beam is annoying as all hell but it is NOT effective enough in countering a zerg. It does NOT stop people from zerging the boss with 100 or 200 people and killing it.

Like someone else stated, if they don't want people to zerg it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    They should just add a Doomwalker-style debuff to the encounter that kills you outright if you re-engage him within 10 minutes of dying. Zerging = fixed.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Did it today for the first time. Massive chaos, people panicking, people going nuts about whether to pull him to GY or not, haven't experienced such panic since... Pre-WotLK event? The encounter in itself isn't that good granted, but people make it fun, people are actually outside the capital city doing stuff, that alone makes it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by DakonBlackblade View Post
    If they want somethign to be tackled by an organised raid use a freaking instance, if its gona be a Wolrd boss its gona be a zergfest no matter what they try so just dont try it because all they managed to do was turn oondasta into a "graveyard run and kill yourself till boss die of boredom encounter".
    You're wrong. You obviously never did vanilla world bosses. There is a stupidly easy fix that they thought of in vanilla to prevent you from zerging them down from the graveyard... when you die you get a debuff, if you get close enough to the boss with the debuff then you instantly die. All the MoP world bosses should have something that does the exact same thing. This faction tag crap is also really dumb because you end up with people in different raids trying to tank him and he is not tauntable so it is not that easy to coordinate.

Should be 40 man raid only whichever tags it. If you die, you get a 20 min debuff to give another raid a shot.

Did it today for the first time. Massive chaos, people panicking, people going nuts about whether to pull him to GY or not, haven't experienced such panic since... Pre-WotLK event? The encounter in itself isn't that good granted, but people make it fun, people are actually outside the capital city doing stuff, that alone makes it worthwhile.
    Key part:

but people make it fun
    We have a winner ladies and gentlemen. This is why Oondasta is a good world boss. People make it fun as the above guy said. Blizzard could make another 50 world bosses like Sha/Galleon and theyd be nothing but forgettable and boring snooze fests that might drop epics. Bosses like Oondasta do so much more for this game.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2013-03-20 at 08:26 PM.

Wasn't fun today... We had so many people on it that the boss itself lagged so bad that it didn't even do any of it's abilities...

I never understood why this boss is such a chaos. The mechanics are easy as hell. Why do people fail at the encounter? He is killable without 100 people and without 522er gear. You just need to understand what the boss does and how you respond to it...

But this is how you do world bosses, hm? Just stand and "dps" (Doing 40k gets you a spot in the top 5 DPS lol)? Just do the boss how it is supposed to be done. Or zerg him down and complain at the forums, your choice.
    Last edited by Hubbl3; 2013-03-20 at 08:37 PM.