View Poll Results: Do you like the Oondasta encounter?

Voters
489. This poll is closed
  • YES

172 35.17%
  • NO

317 64.83%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Another fail world boss design, news at 11.

Trying to copy the concepts of world bosses in a game that used instances in the first place to get around the problems that previous 90s era design games had. WoW wasn't the first to instance but it was the first to succeed at it. (I left a rng instance slow leveling game for WoW beta in 04 and never looked back. They also had epic fail outdoor raids with gauntlet runs along with rng spawns or stupid day+ timers)

A true world boss/raid area is supposed to be hard to spawn/get to in the first place, it solves a lot of the random zerg/leech/lag/etc problems. They still suck overall though, which is why so many people left those games for WoW 1.0

World bosses are like making fancy horse drawn carriages in the age of internal combustion. Sometimes interesting to ride in a park for fun, not something you buy.
    Last edited by Aluminum; 2013-03-20 at 10:45 PM.

Bit double, first time it felt epic to see 150 people going at one boss etc.

Now it just gets annoying. So many people that it's hard to spread, the boss turning around all the time (after a tank is down) shooting the frill blast in random directions. It just becomes a zerg with people playing bad and everyone constantly ressing.

I liked it the first week when I could kill it on a realm with more than 20 raid-geared players. Right now it would be impossible for me to kill it even if our entire alliance side banded together.

like oondasta, dislike the ppl that comes and ruins everything...
    those compulsive pvp kidz who just have to strafejump every fkn spell they cast.. chaining dmg and killing you..

10+ Year Old Account
    The "zerging" part made me sad.

However, this fight is pretty much doable by pugs ONLY through zerging it to geath, and even then, its not 100% likely to win. Blizz also probably intends for it to be done by zerging (It is significantly less painful if you actually manage to get raid groups capable of simply spreading out). His hit box is big enough that you can form a semi-circle around him wth around 90 ppl without any overlap. Of course, getting 90 ppl to move, sit down, and not spread is a disaster unless you have 90 ppl wh oknow how to use dbm /range

Decent fight imo. The only thing that would make him better is a debuff that instantly kills if you reenter combat with him within, say, 10 mins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

I didn't like it. I had to turn my graphics down to high just to get 60fps and I kept dying anyway due to spreading issues

15+ Year Old Account
    Glad i have a epic PC so still with that 60+ fps.

But still its boring as hell, on our serv its a 200 man zerg and still it reaches 25 stacks xD

Ress hit die ress hit die > wow thats cool.

But ahh i only do it for some loot+mount, dont mind it too much.

Not like Sha or Galleon is/was enjoyable > also a lame fight where u just faceroll.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderchain View Post
    Oondasta is a WAY overtuned World Boss.
    Hes melee hits needs to get nerfed A.S.A.P!
    1Shotting tanks is fail. Fail mechanic, and he should be like the ToT rares. The more you are, the better he gets. With a minimum of 40(Full Raid)
    If 120 shoots on him, he should have 3x normal HP, but shouldnt hit 3xnormal hits.
    Maybe a little more. But definently not be able to 1shot tank by tank.

Its rediclious.
    This sort of post makes me question, how did I survive against oondasta for 33 seconds SOLO as brewmaster, without using "big CDs"?

You're over exaggerating a little I think...
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    They should just add a Doomwalker-style debuff to the encounter that kills you outright if you re-engage him within 10 minutes of dying. Zerging = fixed.
    FYI, Doomwalker wasn't the first boss introduced with that mechanic.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I dont even know what the encounter feels like to be played at its intended environment as its just a colossal mess along with people pulling packs of dinosaurs, was fun the first time but it gets old fast.

Deleted
    I see a big problem with the way Oondasta mechanisms work:

The more you are, the deadlier his lightning attack is. Ok.
    So an organised 40-man group will have more chance than a 120 pug that can't physicaly spread enought.

BUT, how can a 40-man group attack a non-instanced world boss without having random people messing around ?
    There's will *aways* be random people around: be it the other faction, or some troll puller, or other legitimate group, or just some players exploring the island and curious about the encounter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    This sort of post makes me question, how did I survive against oondasta for 33 seconds SOLO as brewmaster, without using "big CDs"?

You're over exaggerating a little I think...
    Exaggerating to say the very least, or just using your defensive's pretty horribly

Solo tanked it for a 7:30 fight as a warrior with 24 people and didn't have a problem at all

i on a realm where the opposite faction is dominating. ever since the x-realm change has been done i haven't been close to seeing Oondasta.

Deleted
    So much for hard unaccesible boss.
    Tactic: pull to GY, tank him facing the beach, initial-burst as much as possible (we bursted 700 million in like 2 minutes) then shave off last %s with boss oneshotting everyone 20 sec after rezzing. Good tactic for individual DPS is to watch just 2 timers - the roar thing where you pop a personal CD, and frill blast where you just hug the boss's ass to not get raped by it. I managed to die only 2 times this way, one for random frill blast cos boss was dancing around like mad, second - supercharged roar that 1-shotted me even through a cooldown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Killed 4 times on a low to mid pop server without any top guilds without ever graveyard zerging. There are usually 3 to 4 raids there and it is dead after 2-3 wipes. Somehow the random people on my realm are seemingly a little bit better at spreading out.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a brains just stay away from it till its low on hp. Then attack. (it saves loads of gold)
    All you need is 1 dummy in raid and this happens:

This were 4 raids in total wiping 8 times on this boss.... dont ask. I was standing from a safe distance.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Killed it yesterday, I think there were 3 full raid groups.

It was not fun with this number at all.

Attunements, bring them back now that LFR is there for people to see the content.

I'm going to say no based on the fact I died 2 min in (along with half the raid of nearly 100 people). They didn't pull the boss down to the graveyard so it was a long run back. Then I would res and be dead anywhere from 15 sec to 1 min later. It would be nice to stay alive long enough to enjoy the fight. Oh and when I was alive the lag was so horrible I couldn't manage any sort of rotation - I just ended up spamming keys hoping I was doing some dps!

10+ Year Old Account
    Rez > Dead. Rez > Dead.
    Very fun I have to say.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeeh View Post
    People are doing it "wrong" atm. It doesnt require 100+ people, it requires 25-40 people that are actually geared (meaning full 522, if not 535) to do it right.
    You do know that he's dropping items with an ilvl of 522, yes?