View Poll Results: Do you like the Oondasta encounter?

Voters
489. This poll is closed
  • YES

172 35.17%
  • NO

317 64.83%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    I like the encounter, a lot! Hadn't had this much fun with a world boss or anything world related in a long time. The suspense of travelling to the island as fast as I can before he gets killed, trying to avoid his abilities, abilities that can actually kill you and are not there just for show, the piles of corpses of players all around, graveyard-zerging, and those tiny arms: it's just amazingly fun

I don't care that much about loot. If I get something it's nice, if not I had some fun. I don't get all the complaining about it. It reeks of entitlement to me. It's an additional, optional source of gear, nothing more. Nobody owes the players killing him anything. He was made to be a fun encounter in the game, not a loot-fountain. Stop treating everything in the game as a way to get shinies. It's both greedy, and not the way the game is designed. It's like Brawler's Guild all over again: "What do you get from it?" FUN! That's it. The fact that some people apporach him as a loot-fountain is their fault. If you don't play the game the way it is meant to be played and instead twist almost everything to fit your desires it's not the game's fault, neither it is Blizzard's. It's your fault. So, please, try to have some fun. For your sake.

Deleted
    its good now it has been nerfed to sha of fear difficulty

Oondasta was great with x-realm. 3 hours of watching idiots die while afking myself on a hill, only to run in at the last moment, hit him once and get gold for my heroic efforts.

Best encounter 2012

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    The idea of it is good, but in practice, it fails. People are saying "You need a full group of people geared at 522 or higher item level". Fair enough, but then why would you kill it? Sha crystals? The gear will be almost useless because if you had full 522, you would most likely be getting heroic items, item level 535 or higher (If thunderforged) from raid. Make's absolutely no point at all.

This is a boss for gearing up, not for raiders that are already geared up.
    I agree with this. There's not much point in me doing this boss anymore, since the gear really isn't that good, once you're raiding ToT. The fact that some people think that others should know, Oondasta is not a boss for "everyone" kinda baffles me. It should be obvious that a world boss that drops 522 items - something that not everyone will have access to outside of the VP vendor, ofc a lot of people will want to kill it.

If the point of Oondasta was to have well coordinated and geared people do it, the ilvl should have been higher. With 522 ilvl, everyone who's not already 522 geared will want a shot at it.

And about FPS and how that's people's own problem - well I'm sorry but how many people have a computer that can handle 3-4 40 man raids going apeshit without getting FPS issues?

On top of that, servers with an imbalance in Horde/Alliance ratio is screwed. My own server is Horde dominated and I don't know if Alliance on our server have killed it yet.

Don't know what Blizz expected tbh.

Deleted
    I knew even before the patch that he would be zergable.

Deleted
    Worldbosses are somewhat just strange most times people dont have a clue what they do. And instruction doesnt really help as it seams. Shift+j cant have been use for checking what abilitys he got atleast . But guess It work as It should when u can take 2-more raids and just wipe all the way to the chance to get the 522 loot.

Was fun the first time, now I just jump in when he is at 10% and score the kill on my 9 alts.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell yeah I do enjoy it. It's freaking hilarious how people try to bruteforce him. I think with a 25man group, coordination and some alone time, the Dino wouldn't be that hard.

And about FPS and how that's people's own problem - well I'm sorry but how many people have a computer that can handle 3-4 40 man raids going apeshit without getting FPS issues?
    Core i5-3570k, 8Gigs of RAM, HD 7870 OC.

Not really a high end system and I get 20FPS @ Ultra 1080p. I think we were there with 3 40man groups. Could have been more, dunno. Doesn't really matter b/c 80% are off screen corpserunning anyway.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2013-03-24 at 02:31 AM.

Deleted
    Another dead server (horde) here, so my guess is I'll never loot his corpse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Danishgirl View Post

Once again I would suggest changing from directx11 to directx9 and then checking if you still have fps issues. I play on this old laptop (link for specs) and I have zero problems whatsoever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danishgirl View Post
    I agree with this. There's not much point in me doing this boss anymore, since the gear really isn't that good, once you're raiding ToT. The fact that some people think that others should know, Oondasta is not a boss for "everyone" kinda baffles me. It should be obvious that a world boss that drops 522 items - something that not everyone will have access to outside of the VP vendor, ofc a lot of people will want to kill it.

If the point of Oondasta was to have well coordinated and geared people do it, the ilvl should have been higher. With 522 ilvl, everyone who's not already 522 geared will want a shot at it.

On top of that, servers with an imbalance in Horde/Alliance ratio is screwed. My own server is Horde dominated and I don't know if Alliance on our server have killed it yet.

Don't know what Blizz expected tbh.
    Good post really. BOA gear would solve the 'cba' issue for most people though.

tl;dr: instance bosses you don't expect zerged by a pack of starving rabid dogs. No such thing as a 'coordinated world boss'

---------- Post added 2013-03-24 at 11:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Snaige View Post
    Once again I would suggest changing from directx11 to directx9 and then checking if you still have fps issues. I play on this old laptop (link for specs) and I have zero problems whatsoever.
    I play on a fairly decent pc (I5,HD7950) and have experienced server lag on this Oondasta, especially noticeable as you actually fly into the zone. It's probably server dependent; high pop ones lag for everybody I'd imagine.

Oondasta is pretty much a failed encounter design. It failed to be what it was intended to be, and the extreme hotfixes reflect a sudden and drastic re-purposing of the fight. If Blizzard wants to recapture what old world bosses used to be, they've still got a way to go.

Somewhat ironically, the reason that the encounter didn't work the way they wanted it to was because of another addition introduced during this patch; tap-to-faction. Without that, we wouldn't have seen the 120-man gatherings killing Oondasta in harmony. It's removed the upper limit of how many people can get in a world boss's face at once, which means that it could be an outdoor Ra-Den and it would still get stomped.

As for Oondasta in general; pre-nerf, it was just plain stupid. Post-nerf, it's just a boring loot lottery.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2013-03-24 at 12:26 PM.