View Poll Results: Is WowDB of any use?

Voters
76. This poll is closed
  • wowdb is my primary wow database

8 10.53%
  • wowhead is my primary wow database

64 84.21%
  • I use both voluntarily (please details strenghts & weaknesses of both databases)

5 6.58%
  • I don't use wow databases

3 3.95%
  • wowdb has more screenshots and comments than wowhead

2 2.63%
  • wowhead has more screenshots and comments than wowdb

31 40.79%
  • wowdb is faster than wowhead

6 7.89%
  • wowhead is faster than wowdb

14 18.42%
  • wowdb guides are better than wowhead guides

2 2.63%
  • wowhead guides are better than wowdb guides

24 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What's the point of WoWDB?

Sometimes you have to accept defeat. Sometimes an offering is so good that you have to offer a major/revolutionary new feature if you want to launch a competitive product.

Case in point: Curse. It will be very very hard to compete with the curse client because players are used to it; it works very well, it is very comprehensive and it persuaded most addon makers to use it as a delivery Platform.

Case in point: wowhead. wohead is THE wow database. It is the most complete. It is the most commented and comments are 90% of the value of the database.

That is why I find wowdb a major nuisance. For me any page linking wowdb instead of wowhead just wastes my time. Because I won't find the information I am looking for on wowdb, I will directly click the wowhead link, and the result is just another tab that I will have to close. So for me a wowdb link is just like an obligatory popup spam. It can quickly add up, looking for 5 wow items will bring 5 wowhead tabs plus 5 unuseful wowdb tabs and it is a major hassle.

So why bother with wowdb? It has nothing better made than wowhead, it couldn't convice players to enrich the db with comments?

Do you agree or do you like and use wowdb?

10+ Year Old Account
    Without becoming too academical, the value of a competitive environment over a monopoly is that the presence of competition keeps the quality of content high.
    If you have only one choice, the quality may suffer since the only choice is by default the 'best' choice.

... Damn, I just gave the WoW haters another stick to bash with, didn't I?
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just because you will go directly to wowhead doesn't mean everyone will. Many will look things up on Curse to determine what the drop rates are for an item...which is one of the main things that the WoWDB addon does.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Deleted
    Just don't go to the website? :/ Is anyone forcing you?

Competition is good. It opens up more realistic improvements, as both parties want to stay ahead.

I use wowdb to find a wowhead link.

Deleted
    Not forcing me but if I want to take advantage of the link then yes I have to go with wowdb if it was so linked.

10+ Year Old Account
    WowDB exists because Wowhead refused to work together with MMO-Champion. Besides, competition isn't a bad thing, but yes, WowDB could do better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer WoWDB for finding the stats of an item, I go to wowhead if I want more specific information such as how to locate it. WoWDB is visually a lot cleaner for me to use when comparing gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    What's WoWDB?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    I use wowdb to find a wowhead link.
    It's the first thing I do, when MMO Champion links items in the news it always takes me to this new DB site, "wowhead link" and over to see some comments, screenshots etc.

Not sure wha the plan was with WOWDB.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stick with WoWhead since it is usually the first thing to appears in my Google searches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not necessarily. Wowdb has a much easier-to-use API than Wowhead and a faster response from the team. Wowhead has a pile of history and comments to support items.

Oh, please. Thottbot is the wowdatabase.
    For everything else, I use Wowdb.

Wowdb has better filters. While I really like the useful comments on Wowhead, there are way too many "funny" comments to sort through a lot of times.

Remember MySpace? No king rules forever. Having alternatives is always a good idea.

^^ Wait a minute? Thottbot still exists? Good lord! I was always under the impression everyone shifted to Wowhead back in the BC days. Thottbot was dead useful in Classic, but man, I guess I should do more digging...

Deleted
    Competition is good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Thottbot? That still exists? I remember using it back in Vanilla. Thinking back, it feels sort of like what myspace feels like compared to facebook (even though I don't use either).

Edit: went to check Thottbot, and it seems like far more of a joke than I remember it to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thottbot doesn't really still exist, the website is just a front-end for Wowhead.

http://www.wowhead.com/news=175371/t...head-framework

Edit: Apparently it's not even that anymore, it's just a Wowhead search box. Clicking search redirects you to wowhead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Might just be that Sweden is a bit behind the times, but Thottbot is no longer a real DB. (Not sure if serious, but my sarcasm meter is also low on battery power)