Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

What weapons to use (all specs, speed mostly)?

Hello. I've done some reading up and looked over guides, and some barely have any information on what types of weapons to use. I'm also not sure what changes MoP brought. Trying to get every spec down. Hopefully someone wouldn't mind answering my questions, thanks in advance.

Ass.
    From what I've read, Ass. is strictly daggers.
    - Is that slow or fast daggers?
    - Can any other weapon be used with Ass.?

Combat
    - 2.6 speed for mh and 1.8 speed for off-hand, right?
    - Is that a slow dagger and whatever weapon in the off-hand?
    - Can anything else be used in the mh if 2.6 speed?

Subtlety
    Not sure on the weapon types.
    - What weapon speeds and certain weapons should I use?

Deleted
    Assassination: There are no slow/fast daggers, only daggers and you can only use daggers.

Combat: 2.6 MH and dagger offhand if you can't use Killing Spree in a fight, else 2.6 in both hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    As the above poster said, Blizz Normalized Weapon Speeds with MoP. Daggers are now 1.8 speed. And, Fist Weapons/1H Axes/1H Maces are 2.6 Speed.

For Assastination, use dual daggers.

For Combat 2.6 MH and 2.6 OH work better in most cases than a 2.6 MH / 1.8 OH.

For Sub, you want dual daggers as well.

I have seen some Rogues in PvP rocking a 2.6 MH (PvP Sword) with a 1.8 OH, but, you lose Ambush damage potential.

Hemo scales with weapon damage, so 2.6 MH / 1.8 OH increases Hemo, but, I don't know if that benefit outweighs the loss to Ambush.

I think it's mostly a play style thing.

The ambush damage loss is trivial, the big deal with a sword MH is no backstab.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where do you guys stand on the 2.4 speed mace, its a shared boss drop from ToT http://www.wowhead.com/item=95504 ?

10+ Year Old Account
    While the posts above do mention that for combat, a 2.6 offhand is ideal if you can killing spree on cooldown, I'd like to mention that that's ONLY if there isn't an ilevel difference in your available weapons. MH: best 2.6 you have around, OH: highest ilevel weapon you have left (2.6 preferred). For more detail see shadowboy's post below.

Zeeg's is a fine OH for combat, otherwise useless. Avoid if you have Renataki's. SO MUCH EXPERTISE.
    Last edited by Kael; 2013-03-20 at 06:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @ Mugajak You kidding? We need ALL the expertise.

jk.

For combat, the difference between a 2.6 and a 1.8 in offhand for combat is so small that it's better to use a higher item level weapon in your offhand REGARDLESS of speed. In terms of which type to use in the offhand assuming equal item level--I'd say go with the better itemized one (for example, it's better to use a non-upgraded, LFR spiritsever with sha gem than a double upgraded normal mode gara'kal in the off hand, assuming your main hand is not claws of shek'zeer). The conditions that make dual slow better are very narrow so in practice you'd get more out of a better itemized dagger than you would a slow weapon of the same dps.

My gearing strategy for combat off hand is item level > stats > type (the one exception to that is that I dropped a normal gara'kal in my offhand for an LFR spiritsever in offhand because the sha gem was much better than the extra dps of a gara'kal--I never got a better combat MH than a normal gara'kal--which I ended up with two of (no normal claws).
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2013-03-20 at 06:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedande View Post
    @ Mugajak You kidding? We need ALL the expertise.
    Expertise on gear is when you become a better player, right?

@ OP forgot to mention this, but shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com is a great rogue-specific tool for comparing gear, and if you have questions about specific gearing options, it's quite useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    Expertise on gear is when you become a better player, right?
    You're only a high brow raider when you don't get parried from the front.

for sub... what about using macros to switch wepons while spamming hemo and switch to daggers while trying to ambush or backstab ?? does it work good ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedande View Post
    You're only a high brow raider when you don't get parried from the front.
    It's important to be able to look the boss in the eye. Intimidation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Juano View Post
    for sub... what about using macros to switch wepons while spamming hemo and switch to daggers while trying to ambush or backstab ?? does it work good ?
    Swapping weapons triggers a GCD and (99% sure) resets your swing timer. You cooould, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Juano View Post
    Switching weapons in combat activates a GCD (and I think a 1.5s GCD) and resets your swing timer. Hemo and Ambush damage are somewhat normalized for daggers/non-daggers, but you lose a bit of damage with a non-dagger on Ambush and gain only a little on Hemo (and not enough to overtake BS), plus you lose poison procs. There's no benefit to a non-dagger as Subt and swapping weapons is not something you want to do.