Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What would top end players do if WoW ended tomorrow?

Recently I have read a few threads about how insanely dedicated top end players get in both raids and PvP. The level of dedication they display is immense. Heck, some of them make a living on youtube videos from WoW or being really elite PvP players. So it got me thinking, what would they do if it just all suddenly ended tomorrow? All their time and effort, gone. Not willingly I might add.

I think they would take the hit pretty hard. What do others think? Ive never had experience with people who are dedicated so much to one thing.

Jump off a cliff

15+ Year Old Account
    They would go play RIFT, i can't think of any alternative..

I would assume some would probably move to another game. Say Rift or SWTOR. Some might move to other games/genres. Some would go out and get another job. I don't see how dramatic this would be. Remember it's only a game.

People would probably be pretty disappointed. I'm no where close to a hardcore player, but I think I would be a mixture of pissed, sad, and confused for a few days. So much time dedicated to this game...

My first reaction would be to find a new game (probably MMO). I assume many players (casual and hardcore alike) would do something similar seeing how there are a few good MMO options out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    They will wait until Elder Scrolls Online and do Diablo3 in the meanwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I would assume some would probably move to another game. Say Rift or SWTOR. Some might move to other games/genres. Some would go out and get another job. I don't see how dramatic this would be. Remember it's only a game.
    There are rumors of some top end guilds actually taking stimulants to raid for 50hours+ a week. They get pretty invested in just a game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voskopoula View Post
    Nice joke.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you mean someone that manages to make a living off playing a game, then the obvious answer is that they would likely try to find another game.

Of course, that also assumes that what makes them top end is more than just the absurd hours they are willing to dedicate to a video game and that their "mad skillz, yo" translates well into another game. And that also assumes that another game doesn't already have its own entrenched "world class" players jealously guarding their own niche, and I'm sure they won't be too pleased to have a bunch of ex-WoW players looking to elbow in, because lets face it, it isn't like most games could really support that many people making a living off of simply playing the stupid game.
    Last edited by Deathgoose; 2013-03-20 at 09:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voskopoula View Post
    Why the fuck would they play rift, that game is just horrible. Most would just move to another game and start to play that competitively especially if it's a pvp player. I believe some of the addicted pve heroes would do a suicide or something similar though.

Deleted
    Wonder" ok what now?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    Swap to professional LoL or dota.
    +1, mione. if they want to continue making money via streaming their games then they'll just switch to one of these games

Deleted
    As other stated, they would probably find another game to stream and make money of

I'd imagine if wow ended tomorrow, then the whole entire hardcore scene would just shift to another game.

Most of these guys play to be the best of something. If not wow, they'll find something else for sure. They would be pissed at first but they would get over it.
    Last edited by kustom; 2013-03-20 at 09:38 PM.

Professional League of Legends. Already good at it, can only go up if I swapped my raid schedule for playing League.
    Druid | UI | Youtube
    R1 & 14x Glad PvPer
    Honestly US 2nd / Ally World 1st

10+ Year Old Account
    Switch to Pro LoL.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd probably go back to EverQuest.. call me crazy, but I miss it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuragalolz View Post
    Nice joke.
    RIFT have gone a long way since release with Storm Legion, but mmo's dont get a second chance, needs to be a brilliant success at launch or else its doomed to be dragged along the floor violently.

On topic i can imagine the more professional players would swap to a game like LoL or starcraft 2 etc to keep their streams profitable.

I dunno, it's not a given a WoW player would be good at LoL. WoW raiding is more about strategic thinking and memorizing the fight. LoL requires insane reflexes. Really old people (25y+) can play WoW and be world top raiders. Yet there's no old people playing LoL at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    I dunno, it's not a given a WoW player would be good at LoL. WoW raiding is more about strategic thinking and memorizing the fight. LoL requires insane reflexes. Really old people (25y+) can play WoW and be world top raiders. Yet there's no old people playing LoL at that level.
    25+ is really old? I don't even... I don't know.... what is that? Was that a typo? 25+.... holy.....