Thread: Dot behavior

Dot behavior

I was under the impression that all dots were dynamic when it came to dmg modifiers.. But certain classes behave differently.. wanted to confirm hunter position on that..

For example, an unholy dk can go into the pool on jinrokh.. and as soon as he has multiple procs, he refreshes diseases and they are snapshotted with the pool buff and procs (ofcourse).. then even when he's outside the pool, the dots continue to tick as their last 'snapshot' and he can simply festering strike and ride that 'snapshot' till the next pool pretty much.. Having dots snapshot current attack power or spell power is obvious but personal dmg modifiers as well ?

I know AMoC atleast for us is completely dynamic.. but is it only for target buffs/debuffs or player buffs/debuffs as well.. Same with our other dots.. Cuz if they snapshot with player buffs as well, then it would be a dps boost to save fervor for the end of the pool buff, and then refresh it and go out for lightning storm and use fervor to let that srs run through as much of it's full duration as possible without having to cobra.. (Since i'm pretty sure cobra shot doesn't behave the same way as festering strike) An extreme scenario but just trying to make a point.. A better implementation of that would be on primordius and ji kun..

I was wondering the same thing. If my trinkets are about to fade should I reapply serpent sting right before they do? Same with black arrow etc.

yes.. as far as agi/ap procs go, you should reapply before they expire.. but that's not what I mentioned.. My dillema was pertaining damage modifier target buffs/debuffs and personal buffs/debuffs..

Warlock Shadow priests and Fire mages all work in a similar way. But DK's are different,Seeing as they do not "apply a new dot set" they simply refresh it. Shadowpriests,Locks,and fire mages aren't capable of this kind of thing so if you refresh a trink'd SW:P / UA + / Combust + pyro you lose that extra damage. Hunter dots are similar but are tweaked to benefit slightly less from this kind of advantage. Seeing as how shadow priests can trink --> DP and then DP again with a insanity right before trink fades for a full burst rotation. Warlocks are also capable of this but fire mages lack this kind of thing seeing as how casting pyro and half way through your trink fades your damage is reset to its original stats.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinse View Post
    Warlock Shadow priests and Fire mages all work in a similar way. But DK's are different,Seeing as they do not "apply a new dot set" they simply refresh it. Shadowpriests,Locks,and fire mages aren't capable of this kind of thing so if you refresh a trink'd SW:P / UA + / Combust + pyro you lose that extra damage. Hunter dots are similar but are tweaked to benefit slightly less from this kind of advantage. Seeing as how shadow priests can trink --> DP and then DP again with a insanity right before trink fades for a full burst rotation. Warlocks are also capable of this but fire mages lack this kind of thing seeing as how casting pyro and half way through your trink fades your damage is reset to its original stats.
    Fel Flame?

There are 2 kinds of +DoT time mechanics;
    1. Extending duration - This is what UH DKs do with Festering Strike
    2. Refreshing duration - This is what Hunters do

Extending keeps Trinket damage increases while Refreshing always takes a snapshot when you cast Cobra Shot and extends the duration by 6s.

Tl;Dr: SrS doesn't benefit from being re-applied during Trinket procs.

Deleted
    I was under the impression that all of our dmg is dynamic. Including Dire beast, stampede, SrS, and BA, where the dot's update each tick

Quote Originally Posted by Kirdiz View Post
    I was under the impression that all of our dmg is dynamic. Including Dire beast, stampede, SrS, and BA, where the dot's update each tick
    Dynamic: Pets(DB, Stampede, 2pc T15), aMoC
    Non-dynamic: SrS, BA, LR