Question Help with tanking gear please!

Hi guys,

I'm a fury warrior who is trying to get tanking gear for my second specialization. The question I have is, what is the best way to get basic gear to start tanking? Buying it with JP or VP? or looking at the AH? or doing heroics as and ask people to let me take the tanking gear?

Thanks in advance for all the help

I guess a combination between your different options would be the best!
    Spotify - Hardstyle | Hardcore

Deleted
    Exactly what aronaz said

On a somewhat related note...

I am currently leveling my warrior (at 86 atm). Is there a list somewhere of tanking items I should grab/look for as I'm leveling?

Getting the Blacksmith made set will get you ready for heroics and then you can work your way through there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronaz View Post
    I guess a combination between your different options would be the best!
    Then all I have to do is a mix of these three options? Not that one option is better than the other or fence to help me get gear faster?

Quote Originally Posted by sebun View Post
    Getting the Blacksmith made set will get you ready for heroics and then you can work your way through there.
    I forgot about that option ... I'm Blacksmith so I can forge the set myself, but I'm not sure which set is ... what's the name of the set?
    Last edited by RodrigoTxc; 2013-03-20 at 10:20 PM.

Deleted
    I would recommend running with a group of friends really, if the tank doesn't need anything of course! Otherwise you could just look around for gear where ever it's available.

I am planning to forge the basic tanking set and then tank heroics with my friends and then go to LFR
    Last edited by RodrigoTxc; 2013-03-20 at 10:28 PM.

It should be quite obvious really but...

If you have the gold to spend then

- Sutiru's Brazen Bulwark (476 Shield) - This is a world drop so look in AH
    - Unyielding Bloodplate (496 Chest) - Crafted by Blacksmiths
    - Breastplate of Ancient Steel (476 Chest) - Cheaper version of the above chest piece
    - Gauntlets of Battle Command (496 Gloves) - Crafted by Blacksmiths
    - Gauntlets of Ancient Steel (476 Gloves) - Cheaper version of the above chest piece
    - Relic of Niuzao (476 Trinket) - Crafted by Scribes

Make sure to kill Galleon/Sha/Oondasta/LFR every reset.

Practically everyone does it and no I'm not saying it's right but, most people don't care if they're not the tank and roll on tanking gear anyways so it's a judgement call for yourself if you want to do that. Another one of these kinds of decisions is you could queue LFR as a dps and when the queue pops just zone it and swap to a tank spec. Then dps in prot spec for the whole run in hopes for gear drops.
    AddOns: Tim @ WoWInterface
    Battle Tag: Mysterio#11164
    Current PC Setup: PCPartPicker List

Quote Originally Posted by RodrigoTxc View Post
    I forgot about that option ... I'm Blacksmith so I can forge the set myself, but I'm not sure which set is ... what's the name of the set?
    Spiritguard will get you to ilvl 450, few heroics and rep items later you'll be able to do LFR.

What I'd do:
    First go through rep and jp/valor vendors, then fill the missing slots with the crafted items.
    Last edited by sebun; 2013-03-20 at 10:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigoTxc View Post
    I'm a fury warrior who is trying to get tanking gear for my second specialization. The question I have is, what is the best way to get basic gear to start tanking? Buying it with JP or VP? or looking at the AH? or doing heroics as and ask people to let me take the tanking gear?
    If you haven't got any JP or Honor, start by buying the green tanking gear from the Adventuring Suppliers and queuing for Normals/Heroics as a Tank. As you start getting more JP and VP, spend it on the JP and VP rewards out by this guy. If you run out of JP rewards to buy, convert the JP into Honor at your respective home town (Org's old PvE vendors or SW's old PvE vendors) and buy the epics to fill in the low item level slots (the PvP gear will be better). Soon you will have a high enough item level to jump into LFR, and when you can, that mean's you're ready for that tier of raiding. 460 for MSV, 470 for HoF, and 480 for ToT.

Hope this helps!
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

You can tank heroic 5s in dps gear, so pick up what you can with points and farm heroics and LFR for the rest.

Thank you all for your help, I forged the Spiritguard set and with that I have enough to do 5 man heroics, from there I'll just follow your advice and buy everything I can with VP to gain entry to LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a high enough item level to get into LFR as a tank (Your DPS item level counts), then get into LFR asap. You can tank it in full dps gear. I do it on my DK because it speeds up the run when I do more damage than the dps because of vengeance. Also, if you have a piece of dps gear that is 20 item levels higher than your best piece of tank gear for that slot... Use the dps gear if it has mastery on it. The higher stam, armor, and stat budget will more than make up for the loss of defensive stats, especially if you reforge the crit / haste.