Losing my auto attacks midfight?

So normally I'm among the top three in my raid group. So tonight we were working on Durumu and I was never beating our other rogues. I was watching recount and was noticing that I had significantly less poison applications along with very low melee hits compared to the other rogues.

For instance: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/4...?s=9608&e=9997
    Uptime: 92.7% 2nd Highest Uptime
    Melee Hits: 102, 33 fewer hits than the next closest rogue and 46 below the highest who I outlived.

Looking into that log I clearly need better uptimes on envenom, S+D, and Rupture. And I seem to be missing combo points somewhere. But being that far below on melee hit seems strange.

My first thought was lag, but on the first fight I had perfectly normal melee swings. Feel free to look through all the attempts and see if I'm just missing something that explains the drop off in dps.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

10+ Year Old Account
    You're looking at non-critical melee hits. 102+86 (crits) + 44 (SB MH) + 40 (SB OH) = 276 to - - 371 by Twiga. Nothing, to my knowledge, should be stopping your auto-attack unless you're doing something odd like vanishing and not re-triggering auto-attacks. Facing the wrong way? Swapping weapons by accident?

Deleted
    Does he have the 4pc t14? Do you?

Shadow Blades replaces your auto attack so if you have the tier 4pc and he doesn't then you should have less auto attacks than him but more SB dmg.

Several classes have been randomly loosing the ability to melee swing for years now... i'm suprised Blizzard haven't bothered to fix it yet.

On PTR the boss had a huge hitbox for special attacks and a smaller hitbox for auto attacks. To my knowledge this isn't the case anymore on live but it's maybe something you should look into if you're used to standing on max hitbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutix View Post
    Does he have the 4pc t14? Do you?

Shadow Blades replaces your auto attack so if you have the tier 4pc and he doesn't then you should have less auto attacks than him but more SB dmg.
    No, It seemed that I was losing auto attacks while moving but was still able to use attacks like mutilate or envenom. I double checked my macros and made sure I had /startattack macroed to every ability.

Yes he has a huge hit box but it didn't seem like I was missing while standing at max and beating on him.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Several classes have been randomly loosing the ability to melee swing for years now... i'm suprised Blizzard haven't bothered to fix it yet.
    Yeah. I had this bug in Icecrown after every time I got bone spiked. I thought it was fixed, but then it started cropping back up in Dragonsoul on Ultraxion. We had entire kills where I didn't land a single white attack swing (and yes, standing close enough).

I wouldn't be surprised if it was showing up again on a new fight.

That said, the range on special attacks is a little better than auto-swings if you didn't know, and it is completely possible in this game as a rogue to be in range for the former but not for the latter, so try inching in closer if you can safely.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Yeah. I had this bug in Icecrown after every time I got bone spiked. I thought it was fixed, but then it started cropping back up in Dragonsoul on Ultraxion. We had entire kills where I didn't land a single white attack swing (and yes, standing close enough).

I wouldn't be surprised if it was showing up again on a new fight.

That said, the range on special attacks is a little better than auto-swings if you didn't know, and it is completely possible in this game as a rogue to be in range for the former but not for the latter, so try inching in closer if you can safely.
    Is there a better way to run while meleeing. Right now I tend to run parallel to the boss. Is that to far away from the boss?
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    Is there a better way to run while meleeing. Right now I tend to run parallel to the boss. Is that to far away from the boss?
    There is a sliver of direction (around 90 degrees) where you can use specials and not melee the enemy; try this on a dummy and you'll see what I'm talking about. Turn just a hair closer and you'll still be fine. If your AA is actually cancelling, try putting /startattack macros back on your abilities, and it should disappear. Range can also be a concern, as mentioned above.

Specials and melee obey very slightly different rules for point of origination and end distance, which can feel weird.

Can you guys who have actually experienced this problem post your race and sex? Could be a character model issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    Can you guys who have actually experienced this problem post your race and sex? Could be a character model issue.
    Human female, although I haven't had the issue since Ultraxion, and that was a stationary fight so I think my issue is/was probably different than the OP's. (the one on Marrowgar was a bug with bone spike ability itself)

| twitch | bsky
    |

Male Gnome and I too have fallen victim to this issue. Namely, Zorlock and Jin'rok, I'm in range for specials but them lil' dagger's aint swingin'. /weep softly

Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    There is a sliver of direction (around 90 degrees) where you can use specials and not melee the enemy; try this on a dummy and you'll see what I'm talking about. Turn just a hair closer and you'll still be fine. If your AA is actually cancelling, try putting /startattack macros back on your abilities, and it should disappear. Range can also be a concern, as mentioned above.

Specials and melee obey very slightly different rules for point of origination and end distance, which can feel weird.
    Yeah already have those in my abilities, so I guess just spam my buttons while moving to keep it going?
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    Yeah already have those in my abilities, so I guess just spam my buttons while moving to keep it going?
    ...if your auto-attack is actually canceling, yes. I'm leaning toward the explanation you're hitting a special vs. normal melee range/direction based on point of origin issue (one uses the character center, the other the edge of your racial model, and calculate distance slightly differently). Get some practice in on a dummy to see how that works, and try it out again on Durumu either staying a tadge closer (although his range is pretty biiig) or staying facing him a bit more.

Do note that you can strafe while facing forward (either strafe keys or holding RMB and using turn keys, by default). Your character is "facing" the way the screen is facing, but you're running sideways. This leads to the tank shenanigans of dodging, blocking and parrying while running almost directly away from an enemy.

Deleted
    Shouldn't macros like
    /startattack
    /cast Mutilate

work?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyok View Post
    Shouldn't macros like
    /startattack
    /cast Mutilate

work?
    If the issue if you've actually stopped attacking, yes. But simply casting Mutilate itself in that context will work too (the reason for the startattack there is generally in case you don't have enough energy to cast the ability, so you still autoattack in the meantime).

If you're encountering a bug that breaks autoattacks, it won't help.

If you're out of range for white swings, it won't help.

The last one is probably the case here since it's a movement fight.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    If the issue if you've actually stopped attacking, yes. But simply casting Mutilate itself in that context will work too (the reason for the startattack there is generally in case you don't have enough energy to cast the ability, so you still autoattack in the meantime).

If you're encountering a bug that breaks autoattacks, it won't help.

If you're out of range for white swings, it won't help.

The last one is probably the case here since it's a movement fight.
    Is there a way I can bind strafe to Shift-Right mouse button, and the same for left?
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290

Updating this because I again was losing attacks. Though tonight it seemed to go hand in hand with another problem. I have for the past few weeks been intermittently losing my power aura visuals. The addon is still running and I can access the options but nothing I do gets the visuals back on screen. Tonight it happened after I did a /reload. According to recount, no logs, I was losing over 200 melee hits between me and the other rogue while I was doing more mutilates, dispatches, and envenoms. It seems like all these problems started after a tiny lag spike where I was ported back twice while running back from a wipe. In the beginning of the night things were running fine.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290

Deleted
    isn't power auras horribly outdated? Use weak auras.

I've never experiences this, but I've also macroed almost every attack with /startattack, don't know if that is the reason.

Durumu has a fairly large hitbox, but you really have to watch out where the tanks are standing, because of parries... the boss is just a round blob, so sometimes its hard to see which way he is facing.

200~ melee's is a lot, i have to guess that it could be a combination of two things.
    1) your facing. If you are directly behind the boss facing him (we will call this 90 degrees) you can hit with everything. Once you turn to face 45 from the boss you stop hitting melees and hit specials only (this is designed i believe and has been usefull / needed on fights for a long time.)

The other thing that can change this is if you are not centered on his back... if you are off center but facing the same way the boss is facing your angle could become a 75 where you lose the white swing (always face the center of the bosses hit box for 100% chance of melee swings).

This is extremely important during his beam since you need to be strafing facing the boss to achieve full uptime on melee hits.

Look up my log on wol (mal'ganis, Xquizite's logs) for a high damage parse of that fight.

2) Haste / haste proc trinkets will dramatically effect the amount of white swings