Glyph of Beacon of Light

Why do I see paladins using this? The top ranked paladins on tortos for example are using this glyph but only cast it 4 times.

What am I missing? The only thing I can imagine is macro it to beacon someone when casting divine or flash but according to lgos thats not what happens.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/p...?s=4162&e=4425

I feel like I am missing something major here.

Am I crazy
    Last edited by glorithan; 2013-03-22 at 06:24 AM.

Deleted
    i'm not sure there are 3 more useful glyphs on that fight. what would you use instead?

Glyph of Beacon of Light is your core, go-to glyph.

you wouldn't use it on tortos necessarily, but you use it on all the other tank swap fights.

Tortos I used Divine Protection, Divine Plea and Protector of the Innocent.

Deleted
    rockfall is nature damage so i didnt go for DP

I used it for the stomp to be able to sac the tank every other time.

For fight where i have time to safe swamp beacon i will not use this glyph
    -glyph of divinity (all the time)
    -glyph Protector of the Innocent \ glyph of Beacon of Light
    -divine protection (on fight with a lot physical dmg) / Avenging Wrath / blessed life (fight with stun like tortos)

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a good glyph and the person probably just didn't change it for the fight. Most of the glyphs have minimal effect. So they probably just have their 3 glyphs and forget about them.

Quote Originally Posted by glorithan View Post
    I feel like I am missing something major here.

Am I crazy
    What you're missing is that even though they don't get as much use from the glyph as you might expect, the times when they do use it are huge. Especially healing progression fights, there are a lot of times when a beacon swap would be really nice, but if its going to cost a gcd, you have to be careful not to do it at a time when you really needed that gcd for something else. On tortos, there are times when its really nice to beacon swap between tanks depending on whether bats are up or not. Often enough though, if you try to beacon swap to the bat tank, and then lose a healing gcd on him, he might drop low and suddenly be dead because of that. The glyph removes that risk by letting you have one of your most powerful mechanics off the gcd freeing you up to optimize your healing.

Big take away, it's not about how often you get something out of the glyph, but about how much you get out of it when you do use it.

I can see the merit in quick swapping, but I wish it's 'usefulness' was seen more than a handful of times during a fight. Just my opinion, but I think Ret and Prot's major glyphs totally outclass what Holy has to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    I can see the merit in quick swapping, but I wish it's 'usefulness' was seen more than a handful of times during a fight. Just my opinion, but I think Ret and Prot's major glyphs totally outclass what Holy has to choose from.
    I don't know if I'd agree with that. Ret and Prot definitely have more obvious choices most of the time, but I feel like holy has a lot more flexibility to tailor our build to specific fights and raid sizes. On the other hand, that means the choices are not always clear, and it's very easy to point to that as a flaw in the system since there's not really an accepted set of glyphs that you can run all the time with reasonable results. On the other hand, that's really what blizzard said they were aiming for with the new talents and glyph systems. No cookie cutter builds and a lot of freedom to take things that are specific to fights or areas of content.

Yeah, I totally see that, I just wish one spec had like 5 obvious choices for 3 slots rather than a bunch of vague or situational ones. Personal opinion/preference basically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not having to blow a gcd swapping beacon targets is a big help especially during high aoe or heavy tank damage. I swap my beacon target rather frequently when i heal.