Thread: 'Multi-dotting'

'Multi-dotting'

Hello, as a survival Hunter, is it worth multi-dotting with Serpent Sting on a fight like Council of Elders (when they're spread out far enough that a Multi-Shot can't hit them all)? If so, do you refresh it with a Cobra Shot or do you just re-apply them when they fall off? And up to how many targets is it worth doing? I know this is a strange question lol. Is doing this worth it at all for beast mastery? I spent some time playing around with the dummies, but I didn't notice any drastic results. Thanks!
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Only SV should benefit from it greatly, just fill Gaps in rotation(Gaps = When you would normally use AS) with SrS at bosses, or Multi-shot when 2 are near each other, I would also say that use Multi-Shot(instead of AS) as filler when 3 are next to each other.

For this fight, I always use: Fervor, aMoC, Barrage. Barrage is superior to GT because it can hit all 4 bosses if you position yourself correctly, where GT can MAYBE hit 2 at best. Also it helps to have a longer CD T90 Talent for Multi dotting so your rotation doesn't get clustered too much with GT every 12 seconds.

Thanks for the swift response.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all

Deleted
    Council is a bad fight for us, we just need to suck that up.

Serpent Sting does more damage than Explosive Shot if you allow it to tick fully. If you can dot multiple targets without down time, then you should go for it. If you find you have dead time when switching targets, you should probably not bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlaena View Post

Serpent Sting does more damage than Explosive Shot if you allow it to tick fully. If you can dot multiple targets without down time, then you should go for it. If you find you have dead time when switching targets, you should probably not bother.
    There is a technique for everything and practice helps a lot. Target the mob you want to RIGHT after you cast a shot on your primary target and when the GCD finishes, you should already be spamming SrS and after SrS, do the same, target the one you supposed to DPS during the GCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlaena View Post

How is council a bad fight for us? Sand boss does spawn adds which is great for SV aoe. I guess pulling 150k DPS and being top 3 on the charts is bad though.

Like Teherokkar said... theirs a technique for everything. Our SS does an insane amount of damage. Not having it on each council member on this fight is a DPS loss.

Aite thanks, just trying to figure out some way to outperform the Warlock, Mage, frost Death Knight in my raid on heroic CoE. I'll try a little harder on trying to hit them all up next time!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    There is a technique for everything and practice helps a lot. Target the mob you want to RIGHT after you cast a shot on your primary target and when the GCD finishes, you should already be spamming SrS and after SrS, do the same, target the one you supposed to DPS during the GCD.
    Code:
    #showtooltip Serpent Sting
    /cast [@mouseover, harm, mod:alt][@target, exists] Serpent Sting
    Quote Originally Posted by Puerto View Post
    How is council a bad fight for us? Sand boss does spawn adds which is great for SV aoe. I guess pulling 150k DPS and being top 3 on the charts is bad though.

Like Teherokkar said... theirs a technique for everything. Our SS does an insane amount of damage. Not having it on each council member on this fight is a DPS loss.
    I have never ever even seen the sand adds except for LFR

Quote Originally Posted by timoseewho View Post
    Aite thanks, just trying to figure out some way to outperform the Warlock, Mage, frost Death Knight in my raid on heroic CoE. I'll try a little harder on trying to hit them all up next time!
    Boss frames help me a lot on fights like this.

doing 150K dps as SV is reasonable on that fight - I have a similar parse (154k). But being top 3 on the charts doesn't make that good - it means the rest of your raid isn't doing very well. My 150K dps on that fight is lucky to be top 10 in my guild.

SV is still the best spec for that fight by far, and played correctly you can still do respectable numbers. It's not hard to keep SpS up on every mob during this fight at all, as Puerto said.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinegos View Post
    doing 150K dps as SV is reasonable on that fight - I have a similar parse (154k). But being top 3 on the charts doesn't make that good - it means the rest of your raid isn't doing very well. My 150K dps on that fight is lucky to be top 10 in my guild.

SV is still the best spec for that fight by far, and played correctly you can still do respectable numbers. It's not hard to keep SpS up on every mob during this fight at all, as Puerto said.
    You raid DPS might be better, yes. But you have to consider the rank limit a little bit as a measure of what other classes are pulling on that fight.

Demo Lock - 139578.5
    SV Hunter - 145289.0
    Frost DK - 145289.0
    Boomkin - 160035.1
    Destro Lock - 138793.0
    Frost Mage - 139023.0
    Spriest - 168697.0
    Fire Mage - 156465.9

The top 10 parses for an SV hunter are close to or above 180k. Where other classes are pulling 200kish and above. Not THAT much of a difference. Not as bad as some may think.

Nice rank there Tehstool btw, but Dracodraco beat you by 1500 dps lol.

Edit again... After that fight.. I thought I should have used barrage. I see that you two did and it probably help. Doing this next week.

Edit #3... Just looking through world ranks and its good to see that hunters have a fight where they can top parse in the world out of every spec in the game. Haven't seen this in a while.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...i-Kun/25N/dps/
    Last edited by Puerto; 2013-03-22 at 03:42 PM.

But look at the fight time - Draco's raid killed it 1m35s faster! That's crazy lol. I wonder how many different strategies are out their for ToT - probably dozens for each fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyflu View Post
    Code:
    #showtooltip Serpent Sting
    /cast [@mouseover, harm, mod:alt][@target, exists] Serpent Sting
    I have never ever even seen the sand adds except for LFR
    Does that macro cast SrS on selected target if you are not mouse over a mob?

Edit never saw the alt mod key, that mean you press alt and SrS keybind when using the mouse over? If you remove the modifier key would it cast SrS on your target if not mouse overed?
    Last edited by Windthorn; 2013-03-22 at 06:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthorn View Post
    Does that macro cast SrS on selected target if you are not mouse over a mob?

Edit never saw the alt mod key, that mean you press alt and SrS keybind when using the mouse over? If you remove the modifier key would it cast SrS on your target if not mouse overed?
    It casts SrS on the target I currently mouse over if it is harmful (enemy) if I press ALT, if I don't press ALT it just attacks my current target.

I just use

#showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover, harm, exists,nodead] serpent sting; serpent sting

It will always cast SrS on you mouseover whether you have a target or not, and of course if you dont mouseover any enemy target it will cast SrS on your current target...

As Puerto said, Boss frames are very usefull here, specially if you use any addon to make it easy to track your dots by frame. I use Elvui, so i can track and renew dots on each Boss by only 'mouseovering' it's frame...

" So much lost time... that you'll never get back!"....

You raid DPS might be better, yes. But you have to consider the rank limit a little bit as a measure of what other classes are pulling on that fight.

Yeah council is a great fight for us and thanks lol.

Btw if you are bm you should still multidot it is a dps increase.

---------- Post added 2013-03-22 at 08:23 PM ----------

I just wanted to say I got that top 10 rank with haste > mastery. It really is better if you have any RPPM things I feel.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Quote Originally Posted by Warrada View Post
    I just use

#showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover, harm, exists,nodead] serpent sting; serpent sting

It will always cast SrS on you mouseover whether you have a target or not, and of course if you dont mouseover any enemy target it will cast SrS on your current target...

As Puerto said, Boss frames are very usefull here, specially if you use any addon to make it easy to track your dots by frame. I use Elvui, so i can track and renew dots on each Boss by only 'mouseovering' it's frame...
    So just to make sure I am getting this correct as I use Elv also, but rather than actually having to mouse over the mob itself you can mouse over the boss frames and use this macro and it will cast SrS on them ?
    I usually just make encounter specific tar macros for multi dotting Nd it works ok, but this way sounds alot easier. Would like just to know if what I said above is correct in my understanding. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Windthorn View Post
    So just to make sure I am getting this correct as I use Elv also, but rather than actually having to mouse over the mob itself you can mouse over the boss frames and use this macro and it will cast SrS on them ?
    I usually just make encounter specific tar macros for multi dotting Nd it works ok, but this way sounds alot easier. Would like just to know if what I said above is correct in my understanding. Many thanks.

Yes, thats correct... During the fight i only try to make sure im in a position with range and LOS with the bosses, so i can mouseover the frames and reaply SrS on them with no problems.

" So much lost time... that you'll never get back!"....

I'll be a buzzkill and mention that it's only worth it if you're actually breaking empowerments on time. Cleave is nice on the fight because it makes the last set of empowerments go fast, but damage on relevant targets trumps everything.

That said, if you're going for questionably scumbag tactics to get higher on the meters (in the same way that I have decided to always park my pet on Horridon for the damage increase until someone in my raid notices), it's a clear DPS gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Conando View Post
    I'll be a buzzkill and mention that it's only worth it if you're actually breaking empowerments on time. Cleave is nice on the fight because it makes the last set of empowerments go fast, but damage on relevant targets trumps everything.

That said, if you're going for questionably scumbag tactics to get higher on the meters (in the same way that I have decided to always park my pet on Horridon for the damage increase until someone in my raid notices), it's a clear DPS gain.
    I do that because I feel my pet is running around too much to be 100% effective on Horridon, + getting him lower before the final phase is a good thing anyways.