Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Old race model updates?

Every now and then I check back to see if there's been anything more on the supposed model updates to the older races. So just checking here since I couldn't find anything. Have they even mentioned it? Or has this sort of just been long forgotten like customizable dancing?

Deleted
    Earliest at next expansion i'd say. As one of the selling points of it.

You'd say?
    So they(Blizzard) have not said anything about it? You're just speculating?

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz is still working on it, they are going to remake every old race with a new model and new skeleton, but still should be recognized to the current models.
    But it's not their top priority, so it will maybe make it to the next expansion, even tho I personally doubt it.

Deleted
    Soon(tm) thats what they say every time they get asked, so yeah. Next expansion looks the most likely at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are working hard on it, and they gave some information about it a week or 2/3 ago that they were still working on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    I suspect the first time you see the new models should be sometime on November 8th when the new expansion is announced. The first time people will play them will be about this time next year during expansion 5 beta and they should be rolled out in patch 6.0 along with whatever system changes will be made next time around. I don't expect them to be a feature you have to pay for but I do expect to see the new models heavily promoted in advance of expansion 5.

The last time the new models were mentioned was a few days ago in a Ghostcrawler interview. He confirmed that new character models are still actively being worked on and said that Pandaren are a good example of how detailed the new models will be. They have facial animations with moving eyes and mouths, fingers that are all individual and not just a mitten, as well as new animations. The new models are not just high-res reskins of old models, but completely rebuilt.

Ghostcrawler also said that the new dwarves are very pretty, which is really all anyone should care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    Unlike the Pandaren, we can’t take say the Tauren and make it a brand new race. At the end of the day, they have to still look like Tauren. It still needs to feel like it’s your character that you’ve had for eight years. They’ve got to have the soul of those existing races. It’s a long term project, it’s going well. We don’t yet have an ETA or how we’ll roll it out though.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...hs-Future.html

Quote Originally Posted by iscalio View Post
    The last time the new models were mentioned was a few days ago in a Ghostcrawler interview. He ... said that Pandaren are a good example of how detailed the new models will be. They have facial animations with moving eyes and mouths, fingers that are all individual and not just a mitten, as well as new animations. [/url]
    Well if Pandas really are the comparing point, here's what the Current Panda model looks like compared to the old Burning Crusade (unused) Panderen model looked like. If they ALL improve this much they could look great!

BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Deleted
    can't wait to get my hands on a new tauren model or troll even!

they mentioned something about animations recently too - i'll see if i can find it
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    they mentioned something about animations recently too - i'll see if i can find it
    They did, and I mentioned it and provided the link. Three posts above yours.

They said they would have the Pandaren quality level. I wouldn't take it as a promise since I really doubt they can make 16/20 new models with -mostly- new animations (while keeping the same 'feeling') plus some customization for the next expansion (which can't really be that far away now).

Either they cut some corners here and there (customization, facial expressions, texture quality) or it's going to take longer than what is left of MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    They said they would have the Pandaren quality level. I wouldn't take it as a promise since I really doubt they can make 16/20 new models with -mostly- new animations (while keeping the same 'feeling') plus some customization for the next expansion (which can't really be that far away now).

Either they cut some corners here and there (customization, facial expressions, texture quality) or it's going to take longer than what is left of MoP.
    This is wrong. They have been talking about making new models for 2 years now. You are telling me it takes 3 years to make new models?

There are guys on reddit who have re-made almost every race themselves. Using the same amount of Polygons, same length of animations, same color pallet as World of Warcraft. One guy even went and re-did some dragons and created models for Thrall and Garosh. All of which are superior to anything in the game currently, including the Panda's.

You could get a team of artists to hammer this project out in a few months to perfection, Let alone a few years. They create new AAA games in a year with models that are 10 times as complex and have 10 times more moving parts then any of the trash in this 8 year old game.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    I really doubt they can make 16/20 new models with -mostly- new animations (while keeping the same 'feeling') plus some customization for the next expansion (which can't really be that far away now).
    You have absolutely no data to support that assumption. They have been working on the new models since before Pandaria was even announced, and you have no relevant information about how much work is already done and how long the remaining work will take.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    This is wrong. They have been talking about making new models for 2 years now. You are telling me it takes 3 years to make new models?

There are guys on reddit who have re-made almost every race themselves. Using the same amount of Polygons, same length of animations, same color pallet as World of Warcraft. One guy even went and re-did some dragons and created models for Thrall and Garosh. All of which are superior to anything in the game currently, including the Panda's.

You could get a team of artists to hammer this project out in a few months to perfection, Let alone a few years. They create new AAA games in a year with models that are 10 times as complex and have 10 times more moving parts then any of the trash in this 8 year old game.
    Not to supporting Soulwind but making new models is not the real difficulty. But they need to make new skeletons too and all the animations but without changing the feeling of old models. That's a lot of works and they have to re-work the sacling factor of the weapons. Like maybe reduce the size of the weapon for female human and increase that size for female BEs.

I'm french, I'm really sorry if my english is bad. I try to do my best.

10+ Year Old Account
    They will be a selling point for the next xpack. Would be dumb of them not to use them that way.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Wooo Cant wait to see new troll, Orc, Dwarf Models they will be awesome !

But most precious for me is Night Elf if they gonna ruin Female Night elf character Im gonna storm Blizzard head building
    War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!

10+ Year Old Account
    They will come, people will be amazed, some will not be or will they care. Time will pass, from day to night. People will be bored and not care about them anymore. Meow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexsa View Post
    They will come, people will be amazed, some will not be or will they care. Time will pass, from day to night. People will be bored and not care about them anymore. Meow.
    Or not. You are, after all, a cat.

The important thing is that the 'feel' of the characters we play (and have played) for years is retained. My dwarf's attack-ready stance (to name just one example) is not simply a looping animation, it's definitive of his attitude. I do hope they keep that and focus mostly on the details, facial expressions, seperate fingers, etcetera.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.