Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Why do people look down on players with default UI?

Player since late vanilla here, used default UI since then up until now and had no problems at all with it. However, when people see my UI on screenshots/stream they complain its messy and hard to look whats going on.

I asked some friends of mine, arena partners and guildies and most of them are using some kind of premade UI like ElvUI or TukUI...

I gave TukUI a try, but I just could not get used to it.

Anyone else playing with default UI with very few addons that experienced the same?
    Also, did you use a default UI and then used Tuk/Elv UI and got used to it, and how long did it take you to get used to it?

100% default UI doesn't give the info you need
    a lot of top players use the default bar/frames but move them around with addons while other addons fill in the info they need

don't think anyone really gives a fuck for the most part

i personally never have used the default UI

I'm using the default UI with affdots, recount, DBM, quartz, atlasloot and a bunch of mouseover/assist macros for all my spells so I kinda covered everything I need. However I got a new PC so had to download all addons again but I forgot what kind of addon I used to track procs/internal cooldown CD's.

Would it be viable to use a default UI with addons to cover whats needed? Personally I don't think there are any players in Blood Legion/Method/Paragon who runs default UI.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't get into using addons until maybe a year or so after I started playing. I don't look down on others if they don't use anything, since it really doesn't matter to me how they play.

10+ Year Old Account
    I look down on people that don't use DBM or some equivalent. That's pretty much it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I don't see what's wrong with the standard UI, I used it for years before I got into addons and I'm sure some prefer it that way, I just like an altered one better.

I use default UI with recount,mikcombat,DBM,atlasloot, and thats about it. All my other add-ons do little, like bagnon and postal. I was an officer and lead healer in the #2 horde raiding guild on my server in WotLK and part of Cata playing like that. Seemed to work fine for me.

Warender - Orc Enhancement Shaman - Mal'Ganis US

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't care what UI people use as long as they do their job and they do it good enough.

Looking down on someone because of the addons they do or don't use makes you look stupid. If a player plays fine without addons, it shouldn't matter. I don't use UI addons except Tidyplates because it can be hard to track large numbers of mobs when they're all together. I'm a tank, never had a problem tanking with default UI. Been playing this game since 2005 with default UI.

If you NEED addons to play properly then you are using a crutch.

Those premade UI packs are nonsense if you ask me. What's the point of modifying your UI if you're not doing it yourself, according to your needs and habits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Q: Why do people look down on players with default UI?
    A: Because they're sitting on a high horse.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only install addons that actually help me...i have like 3 addons installed at one time max those are dbm, npcscan and skada..i used to use grid but I've learnt to live with blizzards...I just feel a bit conscious about installing anything as it just eats away at the games performance and no point in lowering performance for things i won't use >.<

Deleted
    Because they're douches.

Even if some add-ons are needed, others are not (Xperl for exemple).

10+ Year Old Account
    I only changed from the default UI in Cataclysm, I have never had someone treating me differently because I used it. I'm using LUI V3 right now but it doesn't make my play style any better I just wanted a change.

Deleted
    deafult ui is good, I heard all the time from other healers in my group that they don't see specific debuff on their super duper addon ui.
    Tweak a default UI a little, move to the right position and it's best out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortera View Post
    Looking down on someone because of the addons they do or don't use makes you look stupid. If a player plays fine without addons, it shouldn't matter. I don't use UI addons except Tidyplates because it can be hard to track large numbers of mobs when they're all together. I'm a tank, never had a problem tanking with default UI. Been playing this game since 2005 with default UI.

If you NEED addons to play properly then you are using a crutch.
    Just because you do it since forever doesn't mean you're doing it properly... Or even if you're doing fine it doesn't mean you couldn't being doing it better. Not pointing at you really, but I don't understand ppl who are just stubborn to not get addons, just to say, "I'm awesome, I use default UI, don't need crutches"

If something improves your QoL why not use it? Still, on a side note, having 50+ addons cluttering the screen is not my idea of helpfull

Some standard addons I use(d):
    so addon to allow decent keybinds, cant remember the name but its a must
    Omen which was pretty much required until they added threat % to the default UI.
    some kind of Grid was absolutely necessary, even more if you were healer. Still now they got a decent update to the UI
    DBM/BW are kinda standard
    Some bags/bank manager is a must, can't see a good reason why someone would avoid using them
    equip/swap gear, was kinda obvious too... Now they got a decent feature to swap gear so may use the default
    I also like prat, but its not really a necessity, still its a new world after a installing a decent chat addon

in any case, there have been some decent updates to the default UI, making it decently to be used atm. Was not before!

I only use a few addons, Miks, DBM, atlasloot, recount, and gladius. Don't see a need for anything else. I used to like a fully customized UI with loads of addons but I really don't see the point anymore, the default UI shows you everything you really need.

And I don't think people that don't use addons are looked down upon(except from people that think they're better regardless of the reasons), go on twitch and see how many of the top players(pvpers at least) are using stock ui or a minimally altered ui.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow's default UI is a 7 years old outdated piece of shit, which Blizzard has no intention to work on. Blizzard themselves have even admitted it, the 3rd party addons are so great for the game, so Blizzard don't see the need to work on it. This is all understandable and it works in this game as the addons are so great. But this really underlines the fact that the default UI can't be used for serious gaming (especially PvE). If you use the default UI, you are handicapping yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by suffeli View Post
    If you use the default UI, you are handicapping yourself.
    In what way exactly ?

Deleted
    People look down on people who perform poorly. If you see a mediocre pve/pvp player with poor ui you know they have room for improvement.