Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    Oh and when a new patch comes out people who play with the default UI are not gimped cause the patch broke their stuff.
    99/100 times my addon pack have been updated prelaunch of patch due to PTR offering a way to bug test things for the developer.

The standard UI is not telling me what i need to know in a efficient way as the dot tracker is terrible and it have no way to track how long your dots have left to tick when there is multiple mobs involved, neither does it offer ways to track trinket/weapon/tailoring procs in a more efficient way then glaring at the buff bar instead of what is going on in the boss room.

I do not look down uppon people who uses the standard UI, that is just sad of those that do. If it works well for them, why should i care about what they use?

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    To be clear, the default UI *these days* gives more info than the very best mods did in tBC. It is far, far superior to what the original UI gave us.

That said, I just really, really, really hate the default art on the character and action bars. I always have. When CTMod first let me hide those? It became the greatest thing in the game.
    default UI still doesn't do what DBM does and there were options like that as far back as MC (and in some cases, those gave MORE info)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackyfrost View Post
    default UI still doesn't do what DBM does and there were options like that as far back as MC (and in some cases, those gave MORE info)
    The default UI now announces boss abilities and even provides an in-game strategy guide. All we had back in MC was thottbot and allakhazam. Also, think your sort of overplaying how much info anything gave us back then, bosses didn't exactly have a wide array of deadly abilities, they had one or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    The default UI now announces boss abilities and even provides an in-game strategy guide. All we had back in MC was thottbot and allakhazam. Also, think your sort of overplaying how much info anything gave us back then, bosses didn't exactly have a wide array of deadly abilities, they had one or two.
    needed to know when to stop throwing up dots and pushing others off, had to manage threat (not even a part of the game anymore), you avoided boss abilities or you died a lot of times, you didn't realize you were standing in shit or taking 10% of your damage per second and react

and you damn well better have been managing your raid's mana as a RL

there was so much more micromanaging in vanilla it's not even close. it's a dps check or a pinata nowadays. that's the problem with all the info mods give us they can't possibly tune it in a way that people with mods can do it and people without can do it. the gap is huge nowadays and back then it was just tuned to be a challenge one way or another

it was less about the boss abilities and more about all that micromanaging and trying to get the fucking smokers in your raid to take breaks together. the shit you're saying wasn't necessary is the exact shit blizz has incorporated over the years. i know you don't play without mods so SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Deleted
    Have you seen the top PvP players?

Thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by blackyfrost View Post
    and you damn well better have been managing your raid's mana as a RL
    For the record, you could do this in Vanilla using the default UI.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post
    Have you seen the top PvP players?

Thought so.
    They use the default UI, because addons are banned in tournaments. They don't use it because it's so good and perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I didn't start using add-ons until Late BC. Started playing IN early Vanilla. SO I don't look down on people. Now I think I have too many, as I get errors randomly and have no idea which addon its coming from. have like 60mb worth of add-on usage at all times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I didn't start using add-ons until Late BC. Started playing IN early Vanilla. SO I don't look down on people. Now I think I have too many, as I get errors randomly and have no idea which addon its coming from. have like 60mb worth of add-on usage at all times.
    I've also been getting a pop up lately at random times telling me I have too many errors. Only started after I installed gnosis but it's such a great add on I don't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by suffeli View Post
    They use the default UI, because addons are banned in tournaments. They don't use it because it's so good and perfect.
    One takeaway from that would certainly be that if you see someone in a tournament playing extremely well using the default UI then it's valid to assume that it's possible to play extremely well using the default UI. That's dumb to actually write out but there are enough people around who seem to think the only way to really play well is with a ton of addons.

That said, I'll reiterate what I said earlier: Use the setup that works best for you. Personally I think people that use a ton of addons are likely looking too much at their addons and not looking at what's happening in the game overly much. That's dangerous business in a raid since it encourages tunnel-vision.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    One takeaway from that would certainly be that if you see someone in a tournament playing extremely well using the default UI then it's valid to assume that it's possible to play extremely well using the default UI. That's dumb to actually write out but there are enough people around who seem to think the only way to really play well is with a ton of addons.

That said, I'll reiterate what I said earlier: Use the setup that works best for you. Personally I think people that use a ton of addons are likely looking too much at their addons and not looking at what's happening in the game overly much. That's dangerous business in a raid since it encourages tunnel-vision.
    The default UI gives you all the information you need in this game, but the issue is how it is presented to you. That's what addons do better. You don't need damage meters, you don't need atlasloot or any of that kind of stuff. All the relevant information is indeed in the default UI, but the presentation is horrible.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Because people complain about everything, and I'm no better.

I think the standard UI is hideous but I dislike many of these "addon packs" as well. I wouldn't look down on you if you use the standard UI, but its ugliness just doesn't do it for me. And I'm talking about the action bars here. They're just too... no, can't play with that. I'm running Dominos so I can gather action bars in one single handy place and make keybinding easy and I've got.. Renetaire..? or something to enhance the keys themselves, which I think are fuck ugly with the standard UI.

Don't forget that an UI is personal, and if it works for you - regardless of what others think about it - you're doing it right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because customization of your UI suggests that you actually care about it.

That, and some addons are just really very useful, it's difficult to imagine playing without them. Though, to be fair, all the default UI is really missing anymore is a decent floating combat text and a buff tracker as versatile as TellMeWhen.

I think that boss timers are always going to be a thing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    Personally I think people that use a ton of addons are likely looking too much at their addons and not looking at what's happening in the game overly much. That's dangerous business in a raid since it encourages tunnel-vision.
    I use like 30 addons in all, here's what it looks like: http://i.imgur.com/RUkS6Lo.jpg
    I rearranged everything so I get the info I need, WHEN I need it while minimizong clutter. My UI is infinitely more efficient than the default UI, not to mention it's more visually pleasing. In my opinion, people who randomly install addons and get a UI like this are no better than those using the default UI.

Really, the problem with the default UI is it's layout. With minimal changes to buff/debuff tracker, unitframe position(And raid frames for healers. God, if I ever find another healer using default frames in a raid I'm going to slap him) and CD tracking, the default UI is usable.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

10+ Year Old Account
    As a raider, I only had issues with people who didn't use DBM or Bigwigs, other than that who cares what your UI did as long as you are competent and pulling as much as you should be expected of. The default UI is fine, I have used Default, Elv, spartan, and custom UIs throughout my years playing and there is nothing wrong with default.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Kuragalolz View Post
    Because they're douches.

Even if some add-ons are needed, others are not (Xperl for exemple).
    omg xperl is such a resource hog that offers bells and whistles that are completely uneeded.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    I use like 30 addons in all, here's what it looks like: http://i.imgur.com/RUkS6Lo.jpg
    I rearranged everything so I get the info I need, WHEN I need it while minimizong clutter. My UI is infinitely more efficient than the default UI, not to mention it's more visually pleasing. In my opinion, people who randomly install addons and get a UI like this are no better than those using the default UI.

Really, the problem with the default UI is it's layout. With minimal changes to buff/debuff tracker, unitframe position(And raid frames for healers. God, if I ever find another healer using default frames in a raid I'm going to slap him) and CD tracking, the default UI is usable.
    I love the warning that there are too many errors in your UI and it may be degrading your game.

I used the default UI for years before I started making my own interface late Wotlk. For me it's just a matter of taste, I really dislike the layout of the default ui but it's functional enough so frankly don't see a reason to bash people for using it.

I've been running a modified Elvui for 2+ years now but it was very difficult for me at first to get used to having my unitframes in the middle of the screen, I believe it took 3-4 months before I was used to it. Now I tend to center all of the important information I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedic View Post
    I love the warning that there are too many errors in your UI and it may be degrading your game.
    Yeah I kept an add on or two unupdated since Cata at the time of that screenshot that have since been removed. But that message doesn't mean jack anyway, I still got great performance.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Don't need any addons for pvp. Many rank 1 players use 100% default. Makes you more situationally aware.