Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    Don't need any addons for pvp. Many rank 1 players use 100% default. Makes you more situationally aware.
    Can't use addons in tournaments, so top players are forced to use the default UI, not because it's any good.
    And better DoT timers don't make you any less situationally aware.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    Can't use addons in tournaments, so top players are forced to use the default UI, not because it's any good.
    And better DoT timers don't make you any less situationally aware.
    It's better to not have to glance at/rely on any sort of timer mod and instead just get your brain use to the spell durations so you just know in the back of your mind when stuff is ending and whatnot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used default UI no mods. Well, gladius after I passed 2200 cuz someone told me it was useful. But only for arena

It's better to not have to glance at/rely on any sort of timer mod and instead just get your brain use to the spell durations so you just know in the back of your mind when stuff is ending and whatnot.
    I fail to see how keeping track of dots on three targets in your head is better than having buffs bars close to your character onscreen so you can know their duration without even really looking.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skez View Post
    I don't care what UI people use as long as they do their job and they do it good enough.
    This pretty much, if you need 100 UI overhauls just to get through raiding and are still not up to par then i kinda feel sorry for ya, the default UI worked fine for me and I never had any issues doing my job right with it.

Default toolbar+DBM is really all you need to do proper raiding, everything else is just fluff for the sake of convenience.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    I look down on people who use a custom UI on patch days when the interface hasn't been updated, then I mock them for having a custom UI. A custom UI would just mean more work for me with no benefit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    You shouldn't use a speedometer on your car and instead just get your brain used to how fast you're going so you know in the back of your mind your speed and whatnot.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    You shouldn't use a speedometer on your car and instead just get your brain used to how fast you're going so you know in the back of your mind your speed and whatnot.
    Fail analogy but ok

Back when I played I only used DBM, atlas loot, and WIM...I didn't see much need for anything else...and even then, half the time I would turn off DBM when I got used to a fight (usually a boss will say something before a specific spell or they use a set rotation/based on health when they do abilities so I never really worried too much..DBM gets annoying when you are raid leading in vent and constantly hear RUN AWAY LITTLE GIRL or those annoying dun dun dun sounds). But I have never seen any addons as necessary. I played the majority of my WoW career without any (I didn't really know enough about them at the time and just didn't wanna feel like I was cheating lol then I learned they weren't cheating they were just to make gameplay less clunky.) But I still think whenever you have people who complain the game is easy, I just wanna tell them to turn off their addons and play without them...the only reason the game is as easy as it is is because pretty much every healer, tank, dps uses the same 5-10 addons that makes playing their class easy as crap...I have high respect for the players who play their class well and don't use addons, simply because it is more of a challenge that way.

But I see the need for addons, since most of the playerbase probably doesn't do too well without...but I have never been a fan of addons that change the actual LOOK of your interface (as in character portraits/raid UI/spell UI/etc.) I prefer to just use the party/raid tools WoW gives me, and like I said DBM is really the only raiding addon anyone needs, but it doesn't have to be used ALL the time, it's just nice for when you are learning a fight and might need that little reminder that the boss is about to charge or flame breath you or whatever. I have tried using some other addons, like ones that tell me when my cooldowns, as well as other healers/tanks/dps cooldowns were up (I forgot the name of the addon now but it was fairly handy for raid leading at the time, my only issue was it was constantly popping up making it somewhat annoying and I only used it for about 3 weeks before getting rid of it).

I think that people here are just trying to justify using addons, and that's fine and dandy if they do. But they shouldn't be angry at those who don't need more than a few simple addons. My old guild master used to use just about every addon in the freaking game it seemed like...she was ALWAYS looking for another addon to try out...her son on the other hand honestly only used maybe 5 addons total (his computer would crash a lot so the less he had the better).

And as I said before, some addons are really useful and great. Other addons I think the game and most players can do without, and those are the addons I like to refer to as crutches. I think some addons genuinely do make the game a better experience...others are just, "I'm too lazy to pay any attention so I am just gonna get this to remind me when I need to use my finishing move" kinda crap. Everything has its place...but even if someone doesn't want to use the addons that make the game run smooth, it's their choice at the end of the day. If they can pull their own weight and not mess up without using the addons, then wonderful. If they happen to struggle though and get that, "I don't use addons" attitude, well that's just a shame. Like I said, I used DBM mostly to get used to fights, once I learned them I usually turned it off. That is an addon that makes it easier to learn a fight by walking you through the major steps. I think it's great for anyone who is struggling with raid fights to get it. And that goes for any addon that makes gameplay smoother, even if you just use them for a short amount of time to help with something you may be having issue with, it can still help in time.

But enough about that. I think I made my point.

Deleted
    Fail analogy but ok
    It does work like that.
    That "awareness" you think you get is probably a placebo, especially if your raid leader expects you to know to know strict timers. It'll be within a bigger margin of error than having the exact same timers of your raid leader.
    Again, personal preferences and fluffy placebos. Previously raiding with a bunch of stupids, timers were crucial when our raid leader couldn't call every dangerous spell out. Kinda helped that some other officers could agree on what each of us called out to ease the tension.

15+ Year Old Account
    I see nothing wrong with the default UI either, especially now when it was updated with raid frames. Though I am missing the UI I used back in Molten Core days, however once Burning Crusade came it was never updated

Deleted
    I've played with the Default UI for about 7 years. Gave ElvUI and TukUI a try, but I just couldn't get used to them and I quickly noticed that I lost DPS because I pretty much lost track of all the things Im used to. And to be honest, I've seen a couple of people who are into HC raiding that use the default UI (even some healers).

It's a matter of preference, and as long as you like it, it can't possibly be a handicap

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I see nothing wrong with the default UI either, especially now when it was updated with raid frames. Though I am missing the UI I used back in Molten Core days, however once Burning Crusade came it was never updated
    MazzleUI? I think I cried when it was no longer supported.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fail analogy but ok
    The analogy's perfect. The fail is within you.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

The analogy's perfect. The fail is within you.
    No it's not.

After driving for several years, most people can keep a car within 5 MPH of the speed limit without a speedometer. Basically, all your fail analogy did was prove his point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    No it's not.

After driving for several years, most people can keep a car within 5 MPH of the speed limit without a speedometer. Basically, all your fail analogy did was prove his point.
    LOL, no they can't. What a completely retarded defense. Furthermore, the point is not that it's impossible to drive without a speedometer, it's that it's -- obviously -- less accurate. Just like using timers vs *guessing* how long an effect will last. Sorry, really retarded line of thinking you have going on. Figure it out.
    Last edited by Televators; 2013-03-22 at 09:29 PM.

if anything, i find it impressive when people raid without addons. i eventually cobbled my own UI together mostly to consolidate information around my cast bar. Now, sometimes when i look back at when i had little to no addons and how i did the same stuff with less, i can't help but wonder if the addons dulled my senses some.

Driving a car is piss easy in itself, you can do it while sewing a button to your shirt (as proven on Top Gear, tyvm), so your driving analogies to high end arena/raiding are a total drag, get over it pal.

Default UI gives all the info needed in pvp, you don't want 10 trackers on your screen for stuff you actually CAN learn (fyi, top starcraft 2 players have tens of timers in the back of their head in every matchup on every map, same goes for anything competitive on a high level really), because whilst a noobcake like you is staring at that debuff tracker, his healer eats a cc chain that could've been interrupted... by you... hadn't you been looking at your freaking shiny addon, instead of paying attention to what's actually important in high end pvp.

As for pve, get bigwigs or dbm and some kind of a moveable cooldown/proc tracker if you're playing a class with actual complex priority (95% of players don't, by default, this game really is piss easy in pve, try to disable your precious addons and you will perform your rotation anyways, by muscle memory, you've been pressing the same 3-4 buttons for how long now... even a monkey can memorize that).

Also, default UI HAS BEEN improved over the years, anyone who claims otherwise was running around in diapers when this game launched.

Default UI is for tournaments, thats it.

Well, now some are starting to say addons are a disadvantage. I'm outta here!
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>