Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Combat Spec. Good for PvP or not?

What are your thoughts about combat spec for PvP? With the ability to have both prep and shadowstep, does that make combat a viable choice in 5.2 for pvp? or does sub still dominate?

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Short answer no.
    Long answer nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
    <3

Deleted
    imo sub will still be the one most people prefere - energy regen for combat rogues are still to slow, so ( atleast I do) i find myself on low energy when i need it the most.

Deleted
    combat is a hard counter to noobs that let you 1v1 your cooldowns on a single target . If they got any brain its useless as they will avoid that situation.

i'm kind of tired of sub rogue. noticed a few combat rogues today, looked interesting enough. you don't think main gauche and our finisher provides enough energy regen ?

Combat has long ramp-up with low burst, adrenaline rush is very counterable, blade flurry got nerfed. The only good thing combat has going for it now is killing spree and 8.1s kidney shots.

Really all you have is Killing Spree

Although against demo locks I would like to see how the new bladeflurry works out

Deleted
    it could be strong is some fights.. but overall combat = no-go just stick to those daggers and u will pwn harder
    Last edited by mmoc2566e37beb; 2013-03-25 at 10:21 PM.

Deleted
    Really depends on what you call PvP. If it's strictly competitive arena (3s, 5s) and very high rating RBG (2.4+), then no. It has way less tools and utilities than Sub and Assa does much more overall damage.

Buf if you talk random BG, RBG sub 2.4 and 2s, then, as someone who went 2k+ in 2s during 5.0 in Combat, yes, I can say it is perfectly viable, and I find this spec very funny to play. Killing Spree is very powerful but very predictable and can be easily countered, keep that in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Combat requires a lot of haste and most of its damage comes from auto attacks. Both of those traits are not pvp friendly at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tholted View Post
    i'm kind of tired of sub rogue. noticed a few combat rogues today, looked interesting enough. you don't think main gauche and our finisher provides enough energy regen ?
    No it is not enough. On my rogue i had ~34% main gauche chance, 13,5 energy/sec regen and the problem isn't energy regen itself but amount of cp you're generating compared to assasination/sub. 20% chance for extra combo point is completly trampled by HAT and SF. So all in all combat is cp starved, energy regen isn't really outpacing other specs by enough to matter and spec has no armor penetration, weakest combat builder and finisher.

For a matter of fact the only thing going for combat is killing spree that really have oneshot potential when it is done on a single target on 30% bg and with trinket poped. But then again shadowdance isn't far off dmg wise.

The lockdown and burst sub provides just can't be matched by combat in the majority of situations, it also requires flawless uptime to ramp-up (combat insight) which isn't really realistic in PVP.

For fun sure it may work but for serious PVP I'd just stick to sub.

It is and always has been terrible for PVP. Combat is designed around consistent sustained damage and is therefore pretty antithetical to PVP. KS hits like a wet noodle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It is and always has been terrible for PVP. Combat is designed around consistent sustained damage and is therefore pretty antithetical to PVP. KS hits like a wet noodle.
    Combat was the dominant pvp spec in BC (ie, mace spec days). It's been not very good since then. That said, it's better now than it has been in the past two expansions.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
    Combat was the dominant pvp spec in BC (ie, mace spec days). It's been not very good since then. That said, it's better now than it has been in the past two expansions.
    I dunno... combat has never really been consistently viable for pvp. Even back in those days I remember the second mace stun got nerfed, hemo-spam sub was the thing...

Anyone looking for something other than sub because they're bored will probably want to be assassination for pvp.
    Last edited by Thaendra; 2013-03-27 at 02:11 AM.

Deleted
    It's frankly terrible. I really want it to be viable because it looks cool with swords but it simply isn't. Maybe OK for pubstomping noobs with cooldowns but even that will not be feasible next patch.

Killing Spree is too situational to make it viable. It has no armour penetration outside Shadow Blades and its long ramp-up time lets it down; trust me, I've been playing Combat the last 3 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ej33t View Post
    Killing Spree is too situational to make it viable. It has no armour penetration outside Shadow Blades and its long ramp-up time lets it down; trust me, I've been playing Combat the last 3 months.
    It doesn't have armor pen in SB either =( that only affects auto-attacks and CP generation. Can't speak to the viability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ej33t View Post
    The real problem with Killing Spree is that it attacks multiple targets when you only want it to attack one target. Its a PvE ability based around a PvE spec. Bandits Guile also hinders Combat greatly compared to the other two specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The real problem with Killing Spree is that it attacks multiple targets when you only want it to attack one target. Its a PvE ability based around a PvE spec. Bandits Guile also hinders Combat greatly compared to the other two specs.
    Actually the problem with Killing Spree is that you need to get your target alone because otherwise it jump between multiple targets. The spec also suffers requires you to stay on target for a long period before Bandit's Guile reaches it's maximum damage.