Here's why Android isn't being developed 1st

Being a mobile designer, thought I'd share the common reasoning behind why Android will always be second place. This isn't about Apple vs Android, or Apple vs Samsung.

1. Profit

Developers make more money developing for iOS vs Android. It's a hard fact that iOS users are willing to spend money (and more money) than Android users. The gap is closing fast but the difference is still there.

2. Fragmentation

This is the biggest challenge about Android. You have to first understand that Google (Android owners) doesn't dictate which version of Android goes on which phone - it's up the the phone manufacturers and/or cell phone service providers.

So you all these different players dictating which version of Android to use, meaning more work and backwards compatibility issues for the developers. Compared to iOS, it has the highest and fastest adoption rate every time a new update comes.

Apple's iOS 6 adoption rate hits 60% after just 1 month of being released.

Android? Gingerbread? That's from 2010! Almost half the Android on the market are running on OS that's 3 years ago. An eternity in the tech scene.

Yeah, it's not easy just saying 'DEVELOP FOR ANDROID!' You gotta make sure your app works on all the devices (or most of them). Just google 'list of android devices'.

Apple has less than 10 devices, all sharing the same core screen resolution and OS versions.

That's why it's so much easier to develop for iOS first, it's just the fastest way.

(Imagine Blizzard witholding all their games till they develop a console version of it first, to release it together with PC/Mag - it'll take much longer and more resources!)

10+ Year Old Account
    I gotta agree with a lot of what you posted. Luckily I can also be sure they'll develop an android version soon enough, though .

15+ Year Old Account
    This is very true, I saw this on the official HS forum and replied there as well. I work for an indie dev studio and developing for iOS is much more cost effective and a lot simpler. Porting from iOS to Droid is not simple -- it requires a lot of work and programmers specifically versed in porting games to that platform. For example, there are a lot of Droid devices that don't have functionality that's available on all iOS devices.

They've already basically confirmed that they'll work on other platforms after iOS is complete, so it's just a matter of time.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2013-03-23 at 04:49 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know on my old itouch does not run the same version as the new iphones/itouch are running on. So that part you have said it a bit wrong.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by justjimmy View Post
    1. Profit

Developers make more money developing for iOS vs Android. It's a hard fact that iOS users are willing to spend money (and more money) than Android users. The gap is closing fast but the difference is still there.

2. Fragmentation
    1. It's free to play with a micro transactions. So it would do as well on either market. Seeing as Android has more share of the mobile market, it would probably be more profitable on Android.

2. You need to stop talking about skins as you do the OS. Pure Android which is only on Nexus Devices (or root if you so choose). These happen to be some of the most favored among the Android community. However, Samsung devices run Touchwiz, which is based on Android but is a Samsung OS. Same goes for all the other "skins" (Motoblur, Sense, etc) Fragmentation isn't that problematic anyway and that only has to deal with devices being on different versions of android. Backwards compatibility isn't that bad.

The number one reason why Android is going to be made first: Android is based on Java and not C. Windows, MacOS, and iOS all easily work with C, and it would take extra work to translate from C to Java for a native Android app. Has nothing to do with profit or "fragmentation."

Quote Originally Posted by justjimmy View Post
    1. Profit

Were the game an app that you purchased, I'd agree with you. However, the game is micro-transaction supported free to play. As a mobile developer you will surely be aware of the fact that Apple won't let them run micro-transactions in the iPad version of the game without the money going through Apple.

You make some good points but you've got to keep in mind that this is for tablets. Fragmentation isn't as much of an issue for the Android tablet, there just weren't very many in people's hands before 4.0. Sure you're still looking at a host of distinct devices but it isn't anywhere near as bad as it is on the phone side.

The reality is that they could develop an Android version right alongside the iPad version; there is no reason for it to take longer. What it would take is another few people familiar with Android development.. and thats probably why it isn't happening.

Personally I think its dumb that they didn't even announce Android as a possibility. Even if it was a few months behind the PC/Mac/iPad version there is just no way that it isn't going to be worth the extra time and cost to port.

I'd insert links but I can't due to new account. Just Google them yourself and you'll see plenty of Top 10 revenue making games are micro transaction based games ie Zynga.