Thread: Runescape 3

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Runescape 3

I'm just as surprised as everyone else.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03...r-summer-2013/

Jagex has announced Runescape 3! A "significant improvement on all fronts," building on the last 12 years of the original game's development and history, RuneScape 3 looks as if it's following in the footsteps of RuneScape 2 by improving on the existing game rather than serving as a standalone title.

RuneScape 3 won't require players to create a new account. Players will simply keep using the same avatars they always have. The game will take advantage of the HTML5 engine and web GL to run faster, look better, and suck players in even more deeply, though folks running with older computers will still be able to use the old Java client if they prefer. Jagex is promising more details in the coming weeks.
    I put hours into the older one when I was younger, but quit from the insane grind. I wonder if this'll take away a lot of that.

Announcement Video -

10+ Year Old Account
    the whole need to pay to get access to most of the content put me off not so much a sub thing but because you pay only to grind the same thing over and over and over and then die and lose your stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    Man runescape brings back memories.
    I remember being a total player hangin' round Varrock Square spamming lf gf and getting so many ladies on my friends list.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually hopped on my RS account today to see how things have changed and holy crap I have no idea about anything. Apparently my combat level went from 93 to 147 somehow, and there seems to be a lot of point systems you can pay real money for cosmetic crap or something. I might check it out for RS3, however I might end up with too much nostalgia of fishing in Catherby for lobbies with friends almost 10 years ago and just won't be able to get into it.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Loc, they brought back 07 servers, so you could still do that, assuming you made new friends.

I'm looking foward to seeing more about Rs3. I use to play that game so much before I got into WoW. Maybe this will make me go back to the game again.

Deleted
    Great news:P My mom still plays that game but I havent touched it since I was 14.. maybe this will give me the incentive to return

It's neat to see another major update, I still keep up a bit with what happens in the game, brings back fond memories of epic adventures and lots of grinding. =P

Not very surprising the game is very old they had to upgrade. Its too bad every update just makes the game worse for the past 6 years, bots have gone wild, inflation is at an all time high, and more paying members play the 07 version now than their new version that came out a few months ago. Bet that hurt their pride a bit. Maybe they'll turn it around rather than just placing cosmetic stuff to buy for real money all over anything and everything to make up for the people leaving left and right. I'm not expecting much though
    Last edited by Erolian; 2013-03-23 at 09:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    the runescape game itself will be all the same accounts, botted gold and items? yea no. these idiots need to do a complete reset, brand new game. nobody plays anymore(as i saw a 44,000 total online atm[90%bots on runescape, rest on their 2007 runescape])

Deleted
    Not really surprised they wish to rewamp the whole thing, that game have been going down the drain quite much lately. If its just a graphical update its not much worth to care about though.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good news, ahh reminds me of nostalgic times now :P Might try it out and just derp around in it when it comes out

Playing the Runescape Oldschool myself at the moment. Prefer it to the "EoC" thing they introduced late last year. 07RS is basically Runescape during Spring 2007. I will keep playing 07 because I like it, no other reason really.

Meh... very meh. Played it ages and ages ago. Was actually pretty into it, cousin played it and got me into it. Back then Jagex used to actually be about the players. Nowadays everything they do seems to be a desperate attempt to make money. This "RS3" is probably just more of the same with a few changes and some improved looks. There's only so much they can do with the current system of the game, and all of the micro-transaction shit isn't going to help the game in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Affixiation View Post
    Man runescape brings back memories.
    I remember being a total player hangin' round Varrock Square spamming lf gf and getting so many ladies on my friends list.
    yes "ladies" My friend went around pretending to be a chick, managed to scam 2 blues and a mask set..... some people are desperate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also for anyone wanting to know. the company doesn't have it's brain right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ytJibZtxsA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSKdnzdAJbI

I did not even know that Runescape was still alive, aka being actively updated and stuff.

Runescape gets a lot of really bad rep from the MMO industry and players alike. In my experience, Runescape will always be my first and most proper RPG. Runescape has elements that WoW couldn't DREAM of having - Player-owned Housing, Guild Halls for 100+ people, randomly-generated daily tasks and dungeons, player-driven storyline ala Skyrim, almost 200 quests - some taking over a day to complete (No quest being "Kill 10 boars").

I've outgrown playing it actively, but time and time again I log on just to see the world and how big it has gotten. Theres been 5 new skills added since I first began playing, with two more coming this year in 2013.

If someone were ever to ask me how to start playing an MMORPG, I'd immediately say Runescape over WoW, Guild Wars or others, its the closest thing to an online, playable Dungeons & Dragons than you'll ever find, period.

---------- Post added 2013-03-23 at 03:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    Also for anyone wanting to know. the company doesn't have it's brain right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ytJibZtxsA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSKdnzdAJbI
    This is true. RS certainly isn't as friendly as it used to be. I remember Jagex devs coming online into the game after a new update, asking people how they are enjoying themselves, and making changes the next day - Such as the first week of the Hunting skill, and J-mods lead groups of people from a city hub towards the hunting grounds, and instructed them where to buy equipment.

Thats all part of the business cycle unfortunately, Jagex has gone from a family-owned business to a multi-million company with quotas and revenue. Paul and Andrew didn't care about the money, but only the game. "Squeal of Fortune" (Literally pay real world $ to buy spins on a big Wheel of Fortune for armor, weapons and consumables) makes me sick to my stomach.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I did not even know that Runescape was still alive, aka being actively updated and stuff.
    They used to have more or less weekly content updates back in 2006/2007, Not sure if it still is that way since i quit fully years ago.

Currently, the Runescape, known as "EOC"(Evolution of Combat) is not so popular, the nostalgic-version, "OSRS"(Oldschool Runescape, A.K.A. 07rs) is bringing in majority of the players currently. I sure do hope that they won't put up same shit like they did with EOC, which are the P2W crap.