Poll: Will you try Hearthstone?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Today i saw the gameplay (the duel warlock vs druid) and i loved it, so YES, i'm going to play it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Where in my post did I state that I like or do not like something? Don't jump to conclusions based on nothing. Stay cool man, no one is attacking your card games.
    I have never played card games This will be my first one. I just wonder how much insight you have on the game since you already "know" that it is crap.

EDIT: Ofcourse you are allowed to think whatever about the game. Just sounded pretty harsh since there isnt even a beta yet.
    Last edited by mmocaf2cfee3ee; 2013-03-25 at 12:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Never played a card game yet and don't plan on starting with this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will give it a shot. I have played many Card games throughout the years. Spellfire, MTG, Star Wars, Pokemon, WoWTCG, and others. I hope it becomes at least mildly entertaining, though I doubt I'll spend money on it.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, however. Biggest reason is that it's free, not so sure I would even try it out if it cost money to buy it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    If i want to play a good fantasy card game i will just play magic the gathering online.
    Hearthstone will never be as complex dark and beautiful as MTG
    This pretty much. I very rarely play mtg these days, and I can't even imagine hearthstone being a better game (+I prefer card games irl).

10+ Year Old Account
    It's free so why not at least try? I'm def gonna give it a few rounds and see if it's worth sticking with.
    Aelmagus
    <Delusions of Grandeur>
    [H] Runetotem - US

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Oh, PVP twinks. I thought this was about Anduin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I am so triggered right now.

It's definately something I'll make an attempt at.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    If i want to play a good fantasy card game i will just play magic the gathering online.
    Hearthstone will never be as complex dark and beautiful as MTG
    "Complex" does not mean "deep". Depths is satisfying. Complexity for complexity's sake is not; it's just confusing. I'll admit I haven't kept up with MTG, since I quit back in '95 or so, but even then it was starting to trend towards being overly complex.

Depth is what you should be aiming for in a card game. As an example; Go is a game that is deep. Similarly, chess, though chess is admittedly more complex than go. Both games have reams and reams of strategization, though their rules aren't that complicated.

For a TCG type game like this, the bread and butter on depth is going to be how many valid builds there are for competition. A well-balanced and deep game will have thousands of potential decks. An overly complex but shallow game will have tons of rules, but most of them are suboptimal options, leaving a handful of decks being "good".

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Aren't you guys just a barrel of laughs? >_>

Where is it said that you HAVE to play this because it's got the Warcraft brand on it? :S
    Is there any other reason to play the game???

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "Complex" does not mean "deep". Depths is satisfying. Complexity for complexity's sake is not; it's just confusing. I'll admit I haven't kept up with MTG, since I quit back in '95 or so, but even then it was starting to trend towards being overly complex.

Depth is what you should be aiming for in a card game. As an example; Go is a game that is deep. Similarly, chess, though chess is admittedly more complex than go. Both games have reams and reams of strategization, though their rules aren't that complicated.

For a TCG type game like this, the bread and butter on depth is going to be how many valid builds there are for competition. A well-balanced and deep game will have thousands of potential decks. An overly complex but shallow game will have tons of rules, but most of them are suboptimal options, leaving a handful of decks being "good".
    Which is exactly what Magic has become, sadly. I remember games taking many many turns when the game was new, now if you don't have like 7-8 mana by the 4th turn you are doing it wrong and die.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxJr View Post
    Is there any other reason to play the game???
    I think one of the main draws is the fact it's free. There's something about getting free stuff that almost seems to force people into trying it. The idea that it's free seems something they feel the need to take advantage of. It's weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    Which is exactly what Magic has become, sadly. I remember games taking many many turns when the game was new, now if you don't have like 7-8 mana by the 4th turn you are doing it wrong and die.
    Like I said, MTG was trending that way even when I quit. Each new expansion layered on new rules, for the sake of adding new mechanics, not increasing depth.

if you've got like 6.5 minutes to watch a video on this stuff, this one's a good breakdown of the concept; http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/epi...vs.-complexity

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Like I said, MTG was trending that way even when I quit. Each new expansion layered on new rules, for the sake of adding new mechanics, not increasing depth.

if you've got like 6.5 minutes to watch a video on this stuff, this one's a good breakdown of the concept; http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/epi...vs.-complexity
    Yeah, they have so many rules now it is daunting to even try to start playing again. I looked into it and just cringed and decide against it.

There was a player-made, random rule set called Chaos Magic, which I loved, but it just added some excitement to the otherwise staling game that MTG had become.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I think one of the main draws is the fact it's free. There's something about getting free stuff that almost seems to force people into trying it. The idea that it's free seems something they feel the need to take advantage of. It's weird.
    Things being free doesn't force people to try, it allows them to with no commitment. No commitment (like outlaid funds) gives people a chance to try it and see if they like it. If they do, great, they've found a new activity. If not, fine, they can walk away no poorer.

Seems like common sense, tbh.
    Last edited by shanthi; 2013-03-25 at 02:33 AM.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Yeah I will most certainly try it. I've got a lot of mates who are big MTG geeks, and while I do own a deck or two - I'm complete shit at it mostly because they have 10+ years of experience on me, know all the cards and the universe etc, where as here we are all starting out fresh, and it's a universe and a franchise I care about.
    I had something typed out but this says it better. I've always enjoyed TCG's an it will be very enjoyable to start at the same time as everyone else for once and I won't feel so out of touch.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2013-03-25 at 02:28 AM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shanthi View Post
    I think you're a little confused. Things being free doesn't force people to try, it allows them to with no commitment. No commitment (like outlaid funds) gives people a chance to try it and see if they like it. If they do, great, they've found a new activity. If not, fine, they can walk away no poorer.

Seems like common sense, tbh.
    Yes, that's the logical explanation. Doesn't change the fact people will often do things because they are free, not out of some need to test it, but purely for the reason it's free and they feel like they are sort of wasting something if they don't take advantage of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Yes, that's the logical explanation. Doesn't change the fact people will often do things because they are free, not out of some need to test it, but purely for the reason it's free and they feel like they are sort of wasting something if they don't take advantage of it.
    They are wasting something: an opportunity to try something at no cost. Unless it's obvious to them that they're not going to like it, most people don't want to waste such opportunities.

If you're saying most people feel compelled to try free things that they know ahead of time that they won't like, we'll have to agree to disagree. I haven't seen that.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doubtfully... I generally don't like card games.
    Main & raiding character: Elchali, Holy Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shanthi View Post
    If you're saying most people feel compelled to try free things that they know ahead of time that they won't like, we'll have to agree to disagree. I haven't seen that.
    Oh no, I don't think free stuff has enough allure to draw people in when they dislike stuff. I think we pretty much mean the same thing, just you approach it differently.