Minority Report
    Serenity
    Watchmen
    Equilibrium
    Tron: Legacy
    Iron Man Movies
    Matrix Movies
    X-Men Movies
    The fifth Element ( not 2000+, still awsome)
    Galaxy Quest (1999)
    Starship Troopers ( 1997)

Deleted
    Minority Report - *
    Serenity - seen it
    Watchmen - really liked it
    Equilibrium - meh.. kind of dislike it but only because of my ex loved it
    Tron: Legacy - too male, didnt like it
    Iron Man Movies - RDJ <3 liked it
    Matrix Movies - these got me into sci-fi, seen them many times
    X-Men Movies - same as above at a lesser rate. Good movies, not even the fact that my ex likes it could tarnish it.
    The fifth Element ( not 2000+, still awsome) - seen it 3 times. Bruce Willis <3 one of hes best movies I'd say.
    Galaxy Quest (1999) - doesnt ring a bell, have to look it up
    Starship Troopers ( 1997) - hated it, comedy, ridiculous concepts, too much action, shooting, killing, sexual references.

* have to look it it up but im interested..

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm here to break the rules i guess... please dont hate <3

The Matrix. I'm gonna assume you have probably already seen this though, and the first one was released in 1999.

And then I have to recommend what isn't a movie, but 2 tv series. Battlestar Galactica. It's on netflix, and it's an amazing sci fi series, and it is worth breaking the "movie" rule, even if it is just to mention it.

And then the short-lived series Firefly. Luckily they came out with a not-so-bad movie, Serenity. Worth a peak.

edit: 1 minute too late on matrix and serenity

This movie is pre-2000, but it's one of my favorites movies of all time.

Contact http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118884/

Now, the ending may be a bit fluffy, but the rest of the movie is just one giant geek fest (if you're really into sci-fi).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

You could also try watching new Dredd if you haven't yet.

Can't really think of other sci-fi movies meeting your criteria that weren't overly popular now.
    You see, there's this thing called "aggro". It's a very complicated, very technical roleplaying expression.
    Loosely translated, it means "the priest dies".

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    I mean seriously.. I respect guys but quit with the stereotypes. There are plenty of female sci-fi fans. I can't speak for others but I'm personally fascinated by interesting concepts and technology if presented in a realistic fashion. And the funny fact is that Im not even overweight or born with a double Y chromosome. Just give the girls a chance.. not all of us want to be dumb bimbos.
    ... My post was a counter to a (what turned out to be silly) stereotypocal "guys r dumb" post, so your response is quite ironic.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thriller

But I haven't seen it so definitely considering it.
    some of the scenes with this track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQXVzg2PiZw u can feel the despair tbh.

dredd is pretty good specially comparing with the old one with Sylvester stallone which was total garbage.

pandorum
    Last edited by siafu; 2013-03-23 at 04:00 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Dat sense of humor. I mean even when reading it the comments appears kinda lighthearted doesn't it ? The amount of seriousness writing that line was about this much <-->

I was absolutely serious about The thing though. That shit is more horror than science fiction. And I never said it wasn't science fiction, just that I personally don't perceive it as such(which is a perfectly valid opinion)
    Alien(s) then, horror or sci-fy?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Would Looper be considered Scifi?

Deleted
    Your criteria make suggesting anything actually good very difficult. This is the best I can come up with that haven't been mentioned yet:

Moon
    Children of Men
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Solaris (no quite good as the original but since that one is Russian and from the 70s it's doesn't fulfill your criteria)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    let me go dig out the 100+ movie stubs i have from the past 4 years of going to the theaters and ill get back to you.

before i do that however it looks like all the good, big ones have been covered. some of my personal faves are matrix trilogy, ironman, avengers, star wars, the new star trek i thought was good, pitch black, chronicles of riddick, tron, thor. anyways give me a few and ill list some more.

edit : after reviewing my stash of stubs ive returned with.

looper
    men in black 3 (1 and 2 aint bad either)
    cowboys and aliens
    hanna (not sure if you can consider that sci-fi)
    limitless (again im not sure if thats sci-fi)
    adjustment bureau
    i am number four
    babylon ad
    transformers 1-3
    repo men
    inception
    source code
    in time
    prometheus
    gamer
    priest (its quasi zombie-vampire genre but in a scifi setting?)
    rise of the planet of the apes (the remake i thought wasnt bad)
    battle : los angeles
    green lantern (yes i actually liked it)

those are some of my personal "likes" that ive been to recently
    Last edited by dokilar; 2013-03-23 at 04:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Would Looper be considered Scifi?
    Looper had good leading actors but crappy plot I'd say. Plus it doesnt even make sense. If JGL kills himself, doesnt that mean that the old version of him wouldn't even exist thus giving him no reason to commit suicide in the first place.. paradox..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Alien(s) then, horror or sci-fy?
    At first I viewed it as horror but the franchise really grew on me during my teenage years and I stopped being afraid of it. I guess I view it as a scary science fiction movie now. With Prometheus out I really find re-watching the old Alien movies more interesting than scary since a lot has been somewhat explained. I'm not scared of aliens, I'm fascinated

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looper had good leading actors but crappy plot I'd say. Plus it doesnt even make sense. If JGL kills himself, doesnt that mean that the old version of him wouldn't even exist thus giving him no reason to commit suicide in the first place.. paradox..
    he killed himself because the old version of him was going to kill the rainmaker since it was the rainmakers gang that killed his old selfs wife.

so yes, thats the reason the young jgl killed himself, to prevent old jgl from achieving that.

edit : to clearify a little bit. the rainmaker from the future is the little kid. the rainmaker from the future is "closing the loops" thus forcing jgl to kill his future self. his future self's wife was killed when the rainmaker had him sent back in time. to get revenge the old jgl found 3 possible children that turn into the rainmaker from the future and was planning on killing them. the kid in the end of the movie that the young jgl befriended on the farm was the rainmaker and only turned into gang leader because the old jgl killed his mother. the young jgl realizes that if he prevents this from happening the kid might not grow up to be a criminal/terrorist or whatever and shoots himself, thus killing his old self
    Last edited by dokilar; 2013-03-23 at 04:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    *snip*

looper - seen it recently
    men in black 3 (1 and 2 aint bad either) - seen them all (comedy isnt really my thing)
    cowboys and aliens - seen it, would give it 8/10 even
    hanna (not sure if you can consider that sci-fi) - have to look it up, thanks
    limitless (again im not sure if thats sci-fi) - seen it, another one of those pseudo "deep" movies with a message. Really hate the Tarantino style.. with a passion. Drugs and crime dont intest me.
    adjustment bureau - enjoyed it. Good movie
    i am number four - forgettable but not bad. Seen it
    babylon ad - have to look it up, sounds decent + Vin Diesel Thanks
    transformers 1-3 - too male and immature, seen them, didn't like them, sorry
    repo men - seems boring, havent seen it though, so going with my usual "have to give it a try, don't judge something without having experienced it"
    inception - saw it 2 days ago.. 5/10. Not life changing but worth to watch I guess
    source code - really boring. "seen" it but was trying to pass the time playing with my phone and chatting
    in time - thanks again. I guess thriller means discouraging for me but im interested
    prometheus - enjoyed it
    gamer -I think I have seen it, didnt pay much attention though, so not my thing
    priest (its quasi zombie-vampire genre but in a scifi setting?) - I generally love vampire movies but that movie just sucked. I prefer the sparkly and redeemable kind
    rise of the planet of the apes (the remake i thought wasnt bad)- seen them, they weren't bad, would watch the sequel but once was enough
    battle : los angeles - watchable. Unfortunately seen them less than a year ago so might have to wait.
    green lantern (yes i actually liked it) - Oh god.. so many conflicting thoughts about this one. Loved the movie but the main hero was a complete doormat and I hated him. Would have liked it if it had featured someone with more spine..

those are some of my personal "likes" that ive been to recently

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    yea ryan reynolds didnt get very good reviews. its just his acting personality i guess. most people look at him and see him as van wilder, or some other comedy goofball.

im going to pretend i didnt see your "i enjoy the sparkly, redeemable vampire" movie comment

Battle L.A
    Dredd
    Gamer
    G.I Joe : Rise of Cobra
    Super 8
    The Watch
    Battleship
    Evolution
    Speed Racer
    The Mutant Chronicles

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

-cant have any spiritual or "deep" stuff in a la Butterfly Effect.
    And yet you liked Avatar with its New Age clap trap >.>

Anyway...

Battle: Los Angeles
    Skyline (I personally didn't like Skyline, but it fits the criteria)
    Cowboys & Aliens

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Who didn't? Visually amazing movies! * Faint whispering runs through the air...Independence day* xD
    I didn't. Visually stunning, yes, but didn't do much for me in the way of plot or entertainment. I liked it better when Disney did it and called it Pocahontas. Didn't take as long.

Edit: Clarification: I didn't like Avatar. Independence Day was a ton of fun. Will Smith for life.

That said, I'll second a nomination for Sunshine, though the scientific premise is lackluster. It's not really a "thriller" in the traditional sense. Stuff happens and you are thrilled, but I don't think it's intentional.

Powder is a little before your time gap but I'll mention it for the sake of posterity.

Knowing was pretty terrible but it has background noise value. Child has a horrifying vision at one point, that's always fun.

Real Steel. Yes, I said it. Hugh Jackman delivers over and over in that movie. I saw it against my will, but damn I'm glad I did.

Just watch Real Steel.

---------- Post added 2013-03-24 at 10:49 AM ----------

limitless (again im not sure if thats sci-fi) - seen it, another one of those pseudo "deep" movies with a message. Really hate the Tarantino style.. with a passion. Drugs and crime dont intest me.
    Back the truck up, missy. Limitless is nothing like a Tarantino style movie. Superficially, in that it starts and the end and recounts the story to the beginning, like, what, one of his movies? It's a common storytelling mechanic. You can dislike it, but don't call it Tarantino's. It's also less about drugs and crime and more about one drug and crime people.

repo men - seems boring, havent seen it though, so going with my usual "have to give it a try, don't judge something without having experienced it"
    Definitely a good movie, but you won't like it once it's over given the previously discussed criteria.

I prefer the sparkly and redeemable kind
    And here's where I question why I'm here.

---------- Post added 2013-03-24 at 10:51 AM ----------

You're looking at time travel too linearly. The movie even points out that it's an extremely fuzzy concept. For instance, Old Joe doesn't know what Young Joe will do until he actually does it, and then he has the action as a memory.

There are many rule sets to time travel between movies. Back to the Future rules don't work in Terminator, Terminator rules don't work damned well anywhere because they're silly, and Doctor Who rules don't apply anywhere else because only the Doctor understands the wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

So, within the context of the movie, it made fine sense.

---------- Post added 2013-03-24 at 10:56 AM ----------

Yea, I understood what the movie was about in the end. It just wasn't scifi or fantasy. The message of the movie was more about karma of fate and I really hate that concept with a passion. It's just a matter taste, I'm even not saying it was a bad movie, it just wasn't for me. I also hated Butterfly Effect, Donnie Darko and all sorts of pseudo "deep" movies like that.
    How is a post apocalyptic movie centered on time travel not science fiction? I think you might have read a concept you didn't like into a place it didn't exist.

I'm also going to disagree with Butterfly Effect being "pseudo 'deep'" in any appreciable respect. Can't argue against Darko, though I loved it.

---------- Post added 2013-03-24 at 11:01 AM ----------

Yes it was visually great but a bit cheesy and hacking the aliens and uploading a human made virus? Come on.. seriously?!:P
    Like many great movie plot holes, this one is explained in the deleted scenes. The Area 51 crew has had, what was it, 40 odd years to decipher the alien coding? There was a scene Mr. I-saw-the-countdown playing with one of their computers or something. A stretch, but better than the nonexistent explanation we get in the regular release.

Edit, again: I know you said no animated flicks, but Wreck-It Ralph was super cute and pretty scifi. Guys love games, typically, and it's all about game characters. There are plenty of big name guys that show up in it, too. Also, if you're trying to make this visit into a potentially romantic one, getting your boy all emotional won't hurt. I'm a grown man and I got all sorta wibbly-wobbly during that movie and I'm certainly not ashamed to say it.
    Last edited by RaoBurning; 2013-03-24 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Beats double posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.