Thread: You, 0 A.D.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Modern english borrows quite a bit from Latin. So it isn't too much of a leap, but still quite a leap to understand it. what i eem to know is that latin goes a bt like this: 'Paulus spectat mulum' or 'paulus spectat paulum'. i could be totally wrong, but it is the only thing i remember from a tech yourself latin book.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. that sounds like the perfect plot for an anime.

OT: I would be in the virginia area over 1000 years before its even colonized. I would work with the imo more tolerant and accepting to change indians to get humans to the moon by the year 1200. We would be a class 2 civilization by now.
    Last edited by Chickat; 2013-03-23 at 03:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Lets say the Bible is a semi accurate document (for arguements sake) people weren't too tolerant of change back then.
    Unless you'd be controlling the people to do your bidding. As in Emperor/Pharaoh.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try to beat Genghis Khan's spread of genetic information record.

Deleted
    I'd warn the roman empire for their impending doom, and I would make them swear to never ever ever convert to christianity so Europe would keep its cool gods like Pan, Thor, Gaia (or is she from Hindu), and all the others.

-Edit- Zues, Mars, Jupiter, Apollo, me (obviously I would convince them of my godlyness)
    Last edited by mmoc013aca8632; 2013-03-23 at 04:00 PM.

There is really not a lot I could do. I know a very little bit about a lot of things. For instance I could tell them how an internal combustion engine works somewhat in detail, but I couldn't even begin to describe the metallurgy or metal work required to make one. I could tell them generally about electricity, but I run into the same problems. That would be the case for the majority of modern things I know about.

What i could do is get mankind started on manned flight a lot sooner. I Know I could show them how to build a hot air balloon. I know how to construct an airfoil, and could probably put together a very rudimentary glider.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Lets say the Bible is a semi accurate document (for arguements sake) people weren't too tolerant of change back then.
    Actually the Romans where pretty open to everything, as long as it could be used for the glory of Rome, that was untill they converted to christianity, strangly the Dark ages started not to long after that :/

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Actually the Romans where pretty open to everything, as long as it could be used for the glory of Rome, that was untill they converted to christianity, strangly the Dark ages started not to long after that :/
    You realize that there were literally centuries of issues that led to the fall of the roman empire and the birth of the dark ages. You can't just point at christianity and shrug.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd nip it in the bud. Then probably lie in foetal position, rock backwards and forwards and cry.
    You and me both.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    You realize that there were literally centuries of issues that led to the fall of the roman empire and the birth of the dark ages. You can't just point at christianity and shrug.
    Indeed, the fact that their empire was simply to big to maintain efficiently for a long time was their biggest downfall.

Thats why they converted to christianity, because one religion that provides a heaven for the poor people was pretty good propaganda, it was all part of Panem et circenses (bread and games).

But you have to admit that Roman society was centuries ahead of its time.

---------- Post added 2013-03-23 at 05:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I could tell them how an internal combustion engine works somewhat in detail
    I would start with steam engines, maybe I'd give them a bit of electricity to play around with, eventually history would do the rest
    Last edited by mmoc013aca8632; 2013-03-23 at 04:13 PM.

Depends. Am I just transported back 2000 years to this very spot? Or am I launched somewhere else in the planet?

If I only moved through time, then I would try my damnedest to learn the language of the native tribe in my area and try not to get my ass killed for being strange looking. But, the natives here were actually very tolerant of quite a bit (they did say Hi to whitey without too much shitflinging). Then I would marry me a native woman and enjoy the simple hunter-gatherer lifestyle.

If I was moved through time and space (as in, appearing elsewhere in the world as well as elsewhen), and I was plopped down in the middle east... I would like to think killing Joseph and Mary and Jesus would put a huge damper on the intolerance and the human superiority complex that is rampant in the monotheistic lands.

Oh, and Lizbeth: from my understanding, women were equals in many tribes in America. It's the monotheistic slant of "man > woman". But, I am not gonna go further into that because that's treading into forbidden territory on here, and I don't want to get this thread locked.

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    {pedantic mode on}
    I think the gregorian calendar skips the year 0, goind straight from 1 BC to 1 AC.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
    {pedantic mode on}
    I think the gregorian calendar skips the year 0, goind straight from 1 BC to 1 AC.
    well, that doesnt really matter, lets say you just end up in the year Jesus was born (Even if you're an atheist, you must admit he was a real person)

Deleted
    I would travel around Finland, gathering information about our ancient religions and traditions and eventually I'd carve all the information on stones and hide them where the christians wouldn't be able to find and destroy them later on.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Erm... I guess I'd cease to exist? Since there is no year 0 A.D.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    hmm, 0 A.D. kentucky huh? i wouldnt have to do much, not a whole lot has changed here from back then

BA-ZING

thank you, ill be here all weekend

Wait, this same spot?

I would probably die in the vacuum of space since people seem to forget that the earth is spinning, traveling through space around a star which is also traveling through space, in a galaxy which is also spinning and traveling through space, and that space is in a universe which is constantly expanding.

---------- Post added 2013-03-23 at 11:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    well, that doesnt really matter, lets say you just end up in the year Jesus was born (Even if you're an atheist, you must admit he was a real person)
    No I don't.

Wait, in the same spot?

I would probably die in the vacuum of space since people seem to forget that we're on a planet which is spinning while moving through space around a star which is moving through space in a galaxy which is spinning while traveling through space, and that space is in a universe which is constantly expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    No I don't. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Urobolos View Post
    Wait, in the same spot?

I would probably die in the vacuum of space since people seem to forget that we're on a planet which is spinning while moving through space around a star which is moving through space in a galaxy which is spinning while traveling through space, and that space is in a universe which is constantly expanding.

So nobody with the name Jesus was ever born? doubtful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Urobolos View Post
    Wait, in the same spot?

Party pooper!:P

But just to be clear you end up on Earth, the exact same point you occupy now. Let's call it space magic. And yes, yes you do!