Thread: You, 0 A.D.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Id become a viking

An angry black viking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pray I'm somewhere in the Roman Empire. (Or, as a not nearly as good, but potentially a still survivable alternative, the Han Dynasty.) If I end up anywhere else, my life is probably going to miserable and likely very short.

Be very, very happy that I took those 3 years of Latin in college. Be very, very, very happy that I'm a geek with an interest in the history of technology, and that I've basically memorized the Time Travel Cheat Sheet hanging on the wall of my cubicle. (The Cheat Sheet isn't perfect, but it's a good start.)

Find a rational local wealthy patron. Make a compass and, if necessary, whip up some field-expedient gunpowder to demonstrate my bona fides. (I can, and have, made both from scratch as hobby projects. The results won't be great, but they'll work, which is all they need to do.) Then, spend the rest of my life on the following priority list:
    1) Don't get killed,
    2) enjoy life as a high-class Roman citizen, while staying out of Rome itself
    3) write down everything I know for future reference, including "future history" as well as science,
    4) set the foundations for a (very) early Industrial Revolution, and,
    5) do what I can to turn the Empire into a functioning Constitutional Monarchy, if possible.

I'd really like to head off the collapse of the Julio-Claudians if I can, but I don't know if that will be possible without getting involved in Imperial politics, which is almost certain to get me killed. I'd love to be able to reference some physical events to potentially "prove" the accuracy of my knowledge, but the only non-human date I can remember from the period is the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would unite my ancestors and give them every advantage I could, warn them of the roman empire threat that will come in 100 years or so and enjoy a life without technology. Back then, the people living in Romania, the dacians were pretty awesome, there was wine to drink, food to eat, women to be had and later on wars to fight. Granted, I have no idea how to wield a sword, but I'd love to see my ancestor's way of life back then.

Personally, I wouldn't change a thing as some have listed here.

While I would love the opportunity to prevent the uprising of Christianity, and prevent the massacre of the teachings they plagiarised, I wouldn't risk the destruction of the history (or future to them at that point) that I know. I would probably just go off into the desert and die, to ensure I don't have any major impact on history / the future.

I'd adjust to the lifestyle of the locals. Perhaps become the councilor of somoene important although that would be somewhat risky. It all depends on how well I would blend in their society.

I know how to create gunpowder and the mechanics of a gun, so I would just create the worlds first gun and get to it, becoming a god amongst men.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

I speak Greek. Modern Greek isn't so different from koine Greek that I couldn't adapt to it quickly. Especially since I studied it some back in my youth.

So I'd ingratiate myself into the greater culture of the eastern Roman Empire, and use what knowledge I do have to become wealthy, and make sure I have every one of you other time travelers found and killed so as to not expose me for being one as well.

Wait...where we're currently sitting?

Dammit, I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so I guess die in the miserable cold and rain or wait to get enslaved by the Tlingit.

i would probably make friends with the ancient hawaiians and teach them all sorts of things so they can elaborate on it like science,etc.. then i would tell them to remember the dates 1778 and and 1893 and tell them to pass it down to their children so by the time it gets to those dates, the hawaiians will (hopefully) have the means to protect themselves from captain cook and the overthrow of the hawaiian kingdom.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would try to enjoy the scenery and live a safe and comfortable life. I would use my modern knowledge for the benefit of myself and those to whom I grow close in my new life.

One has to assume that if time travel is possible, then your current reality already takes into account things you did when you travelled back in time. Attempting to alter the future would be futile.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would probably get lost and maybe eaten by some bear in the giant forest of "everything north of the Alps" before I even meet other people.

I would pass mutated flu that would infect and kill entire population of europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I would pass mutated flu that would infect and kill entire population of europe.
    Best and most plausible answer yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't change a thing as some have listed here.

While I would love the opportunity to prevent the uprising of Christianity, and prevent the massacre of the teachings they plagiarised, I wouldn't risk the destruction of the history (or future to them at that point) that I know. I would probably just go off into the desert and die, to ensure I don't have any major impact on history / the future.
    It would have been a way darker time if Christianity didn't keep the language and overall cultural connection to the ancient past. Everything would have been destroyed and we would have started from scratch really.

As for what I would do... I don't know life outside Rome and cities in general was pretty rough I'm guessing, so I'd probably try to somehow move in somewhere and do something. Not sure how ill be able to survive the first few months, being a foreigner in rome without the language nor the customs of the times.
    If I live past the first few months ill be alright then.

i would try to empress them with my knowledge of physics and "alchemy" and either get a scaring god everyone follows or get burned cause im a warlock

---------- Post added 2013-03-25 at 12:32 PM ----------

or i would try to get jesus best friend and all will remember me as judas muhahaha

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    I wonder how many of those who would have big plans can speak latin or whatever ancient lenguage to accomplish what they said lmao
    I had it taught at school. I can speak about as much Latin/Ancient Greek as I can speak Italian... Which is not enough.

OT: I guess I'd try to live as normal as possible. Get a job, get a wife (or multiple?) and kids. You know, just the usual things there. I'll have a thriving bussiness in something. Don't know what yet, though. I won't really do anything religious, as I'm not religious. I'm officially a catholic, but I don't really go to church or pray or whatever.

I'd transcribe the plot of a Game of Thrones into Latin / Ancient Greek (Classics major, hells yeah) onto a tablet and then find a nice big mountain to descend from dramatically.

If you guys are about to celebrate the Death of Stark upon the Chopping Block and his subsequent non-Resurrection, my tomb's under a rock somewhere in the Sinai. Offerings accepted.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Are you saying you would do this by choice (which is what the OP is asking) or simply recognising that this is an inevitability?