Thread: Ji-Kun help.

Ji-Kun help.

I'm having extreme difficulty consistently shelling the raid before quills, since neither the BigWigs or DBM Quill timer seems at all accurate. In fact, Quills seems to come right after the tank swap, which is around 15 seconds later, but it's not consistent. Anything I can go by, or another bossmod?

My raid also seems to insist on going 3-heal on this boss, even though the damage output -should- be pathetic (Barring avoidable stuff). It does pathetic damage compared to Megaera.

If you have problems, stack for it and outheal? There's no reason not to stack at quills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valium104 View Post
    If you have problems, stack for it and outheal? There's no reason not to stack at quills.
    Except puddles and the need for people to be on the other side of the room at that time for nests...

Quills hit really hard: it sucks. Throwing out an early PoM followed up by a 2nd will help a lot for giving 'cushion' for PoH casting. Beyond that I haven't healed that particular fight really.

Quote Originally Posted by Frmercury View Post
    Except puddles and the need for people to be on the other side of the room at that time for nests...

Quills hit really hard: it sucks. Throwing out an early PoM followed up by a 2nd will help a lot for giving 'cushion' for PoH casting. Beyond that I haven't healed that particular fight really.
    You can stack for quills you just have to do it after puddles land, and we have healers go with our nest groups to keep them alive during quills.
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    Just SS+ Prayer on quills. Update DBM.

Here a Log from our Fight, i am the priest, i just Smite, Fly and come down to the boss to SS on quills. besides from that i am flying the whole time.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=3436&e=3918

Quote Originally Posted by Spraytwist View Post
    Just SS+ Prayer on quills. Update DBM.
    I'm not a complete idiot, I know how to use SS. Read the post. The timers from both DBM and BigWigs are off, and I have the newest release version.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    I'm not a complete idiot, I know how to use SS. Read the post. The timers from both DBM and BigWigs are off, and I have the newest release version.
    Quills is more of a "cooldown" for the boss, and it seems he (she?) uses it after other abilities on higher priority go off. I usually start stacking SS 5-10 seconds *after* my DBM timer goes off. Sometimes SS is about to fade when it actually starts, sometimes I'm still casting to stack SS, and sometimes it hits the sweet spot where I'm 100% ready. /shrug

Either case (and at least for Normal) it's not deadly so long as you have Cascade (or Halo if you prefer) and ProM ready, and hit a Penance and Holy Fire/Solace during the ability (although you surely won't rape the meters vs. your other healer, as they will actually have something to heal!).
    Last edited by Anastacy; 2013-03-24 at 01:34 AM.

From what I recall, quills generally goes shortly off after the feed (which happens several seconds after the dbm timer for quills expires). I usually just shieldspam/pom/atonement instead of spirit shell, it doesn't really hit that hard and 6-7 shields isn't that taxing on your mana considering there's no damage for the rest of the fight.

Deleted
    Yes, DBM says "Quils Coolddown". Meaning it comes OFF cooldown at that point. Which doesnt mean he is doing it as it comes off cooldown. I'm sure there's more spells like that, but i cant remember at the moment.
    I usually start shelling when that timer reaches zero

If I shell when the timer reaches zero, I've experienced quite a few times that the shell duration runs out before he starts Quill. I've resolved to instead start shelling after the tank swap, as he seems to do quills soon after that. We killed Ji-Kun, but the raid leader decided to go 3 healers which I felt was a waste. Like was said above, the healing requirement here really isn't so severe that I feel like you need 2 healers on the main platform, but being able to shell reliably would just have helped.

Deleted
    The quill timer is incredibly annoying, but to me it seemed (I just healed it once, so I may be incorrect) to delay quills if there were any other spells coming up within 10-15 seconds, the only spell that seemed to be a lower priority was talon rake. I assume that it's intended for it to be a little unpredictable though, I simply called out for a healing cd (ag) the one time where my SS expired too early, most raids have access to at least one of these.
    Last edited by mmoc321e539296; 2013-03-24 at 12:33 PM.

I just pop AA and throw a PoM and Cascade then go back to smite spam. Maybe some PW:S on clothies.

Only healed it in 25 man, but didn't see too much delay there using DBM timers. Seemed best to start stacking SS 10ish (maybe even less in 10's) seconds prior to the first quills and then pretty much on CD. Even though you wouldn't get it up prior to the damage it is still helping healing alot when used during the ability.

The timer on quills is a CD timer, not the ability use timer. As was mentioned, Ji-Kun will cast quills after other abilities once the CD timer is up. We ended up 3 healing, resto druid and holy pally on main platform, me as disc healing the nest group mostly through atonement. The quills lined up right at the end of certain nests, so you could use the nest activation timer to know when quills will hit. Quills went off right after we finished the 2nd lower nest and 2nd upper nest on round 1, and 2nd lower nest and last upper nest on round 2. I had our nest group pause for me to stack SS on them before we moved to the next nest as quills was ending. It was like clockwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    I'm having extreme difficulty consistently shelling the raid before quills, since neither the BigWigs or DBM Quill timer seems at all accurate. In fact, Quills seems to come right after the tank swap, which is around 15 seconds later, but it's not consistent. Anything I can go by, or another bossmod?

My raid also seems to insist on going 3-heal on this boss, even though the damage output -should- be pathetic (Barring avoidable stuff). It does pathetic damage compared to Megaera.

PW:Shield the people you missed with SS before quills, pop PoM, and if a lot are out of reach atonement might be a better option then PoH.

10+ Year Old Account
    The BigWigs timer for quills is pretty accurate, although I was doing it on heroic (25). I pretty much never missed an SS on my group (if we were down/up) or the raid (if it wasn't my groups turn). I think DBM doesn't have an actual timer for it but BigWigs does, even though almost all the abilities say ~ before them, I found they all happened when that timer hit 0. This all might just be because I did it on 25 and not 10. Stress the fact that everyone MUST stack for that stuff even if you only get the benefit of it for a few seconds.

Deleted
    I can confirm what oddlawl is saying, timers work for 25 man but are broken for 10-man. Ran 25m normal first week, timers worked like a charm, on 10 man however it doesnt work at all, at least not on hc.

Yours, gottan

Deleted
    We are progressing on this on HC 10M (Had a 10mil wipe last night ;()

Quills are problematic. From a disc priest perspective, I shield everyone on the platform + pom as he is casting, then I pop Power Infusion and spam atonement, refreshing POM and using a cascade when people get low.

This is easy to heal though. The hard part is synchronizing the raid to DPS the nests correctly.

get used to triage healing - that is healing people for only the amount that they need to be healed for. While obviously having the best possible timers can be important, quills isn't really something you need a cooldown for. It does *about* the same amount of damage as your average raid member has health, so it really only takes one heal to live through it. I am assuming of course, that you're talking about 10N. There are a lot of other tactics for ji-kun that may be helpful to you, but for now I'll assume you just want to know about quills, in which case I'll echo that many of the abilities in the more recent raids (and some in old raids even) are cooldowns and thus there can never be true timers for them. I don't know that this is the case for quills specifically but I suspect that it is. Disc may still have the best preventative healing, but that doesn't mean its reactive healing is bad by any means, and in cases like this its best to survive without the spirit shell than to risk wasting the mana to pre-empt the damage.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 11:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reinforce View Post
    We are progressing on this on HC 10M (Had a 10mil wipe last night ;()

Quills are problematic. From a disc priest perspective, I shield everyone on the platform + pom as he is casting, then I pop Power Infusion and spam atonement, refreshing POM and using a cascade when people get low.

This is easy to heal though. The hard part is synchronizing the raid to DPS the nests correctly.
    if, for example, you put PWS on someone for 80k and then PoM, and they are then hit for 80,001, the shield will be removed, they'll take one damage, and PoM will heal them for one hp and bounce to the next recipient. its quite reasonable to expect that PoM has a real chance to heal for almost nothing in your scenario. I'm just wondering if there wouldnt be something more effective to do. I can't really think of one and I'm certainly not saying pre-PoM is a bad thing, but its an interesting possibility.

I think, absent a better ability to use in its place, I would probably PoM myself but *not* shield myself prior to quills cast. That way, the first tick of quills would proc it and give me a reasonably unhindered PoM heal, I could then shield myself in the subsequent GCD, and then have a markedly higher chance of not being the lowest HP raid member for atonement. If even one or two of your atonement heals go on yourself, you're probably negating the sum benefit of having pre-PoM'd

I imagine that both options are so similar in total healing done as to not matter much, I just found it interesting to think about.