Question New to 5.2 Fire spec - about Combustion.

I never really understood the Combustion mechanic so i stayed away from the Fire PvE spec, but since 5.2 arrived i want to give it a go.

As far as i understood in PvE we should use Combustion when we have the strongest possible Ignite DoT on the target, after which we do Inferno Blast to spread all those DoTs around?
    Is there any deeper wisdom/tactic to using the 5.2 Combustion? Should i use it's glyph or leave it without a glyph (PvE)?

I went through the fire guide stickied here but it seems outdated compared to 5.2 changes.
    Thank you for reading and helping me out.

Havent played much lately but combustion works like it usually did i think.

Get an add on like mybigignite from curse so you can track its size and if all dots are on target btw it helps loads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    Havent played much lately but combustion works like it usually did i think.

Get an add on like mybigignite from curse so you can track its size and if all dots are on target btw it helps loads.
    I don't know why people don't suggest "Mage Nuggets" for their addons anymore, it has a very nice bomb tracker and an extremely accurate Ignite tracker.

As to the OP: Combustion is the same as always minus a few things that have changed over this xpac. It only does 50% of ignite damange as the dot as well as it doesn't include the Pyro Dot anymore.

Best possible combustions come after a largely built ignite usually made from 3 pyro crits in a row. Try and use it when you have trinket/enchant procs as well as any haste procs/int pots, etc as it will be buffed before you toss it on there.

Lastly about spreading the dots, glyph of inferno blast now spreads those dots to additional targets. One thing to remember, it will spread to the targets on your first inferno blast.. especially if you have glyphed combustion, inferno blast again when its off CD if there are more adds up, you will spread it to more! There is no limit to how many adds you can spread it to, other than the fact that each IB will only go to a specified number of targets (glyphed or unglyphed).

Okay, what about Combustion's glyph? Should i use it for PvE?

10+ Year Old Account
    There are specific haste points to which glyphed or unglyphed combustion is "better", but I find that it is fight specific, if you are combusting on adds that die quickly then you will want it unglyphed if those adds are also spawning often and your duration of combust wouldn't be fully used on those targets.

If you are combusting on a boss to which you are getting full duration and nothing to spread to, combustion with the glyph has its cooldown (every other since its 1.5 minutes) directly line up with Alter Time (3 minutes) and you can get big ignites built up before you combust. Side note, if you are a troll mage berserking is also 3 minutes and lines up perfectly with 2 full combustion cylces too.

For example, on Horridon, I like to unglyph the combustion so I can spread it to adds as much as possible. But on Jin-Rokh I build up a monster ignite and blast him with a glyphed combustion under bloodlust.