10+ Year Old Account

ERW usage as Frost

Hey, I'd like to pose a question for all the DK's on the forum regarding the usage of ERW.

Simply put, which is better usage of ERW assuming you'll get to use it twice per fight regardless of how you consume it, either;

1) Using it during your initial opener once all your runes are consumed to put out more obliterates during pillar of frost and your pot,

OR

2) Using it when you're completely out of resources to use and it's your only button you can press.

It's never been such a clear-cut matter for me, as if I use it during opener I naturally cap resources, but I put more damage out during all my cools, but if I use it when I'm dry I don't waste any resources from it.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

use it during hero

Typically, depending on the fight; I'll use it as an opener.

I sort of disagree with Hero unless that's just when you line up a burn phase; because if you're at all decently geared, Heroism/Bloodlust is going to already have you flush with more resources then you can spend, so a lot of ERW gets wasted.

I like to use it on the opener, then pop it again at the end in Execute range with my first Pillar of Frost + Mogu Potion sub-35% to guarantee two obliterates and a Soul Reaper with everything running full tilt, since that also tends to line up with the ICDs of my trinkets.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

it really depends on the fight.
    if the fight is over 6 minutes long, easily use it twice, one during the second pillar, and the second time 5 minutes later (asssuming you BL on pull).
    do not use it with BL if you can help it
    if the fight it less than 5 minutes long, use it once when you have a your cds up and your runes are on cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by scabobos View Post
    use it during hero
    That would be a total waste, you already have your hands full during Hero/Lust with Runes recharging so fast. Best to use during PoF if you have no runes up.

Deleted
    Use it for specific moments like AoE burst with trinkets procced, you can usually use it twice during a fight so using it early at some point is a good idea too. I tend not to use it on lust though as it can easily cap you out on rp especially if theres magic dmg flying about where you can gain good rp from it anyway.

ERW has always been very situational for the fight for me. You can either make it so you use it when you open and have no runes, or use it based upon the fight because of movement or some other factor.
    If you are able to use AMS within a few seconds of the fight I would suggest not using it right away. You can AMS absorb and get RP, thus giving tons of free DC's or FS's, and possibly giving back runes. Even then if you go through a full RP bar because of AMS then you might just get normal regen back to your runes and be able to cont back with your rotation.

All in all ERW just becomes a longer CD that the more you play a dk the better a judge at when to use it you will be. I know that my timing of it now is much better then it used to be just from continued use.

There's been a bunch of fights that last longer than 10 minutes, so my group usually opens with hero.
    I hit Unholy Blight, Obliterate x2, DnD, and Pillar, then some Frost Strikes, followed by ERW to finish off with Obliterate x3.

Then I save it for four minutes until Hero is popped again. If the fight is shorter than 10 minutes, I just use it when it comes off CD.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally use it when all/most of my runes are on CD with a greater then 5 second time on the earliest one.

I do run with blood tap though.

I'm not frost either, i'm blood. :3
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Only use it when I'm rune locked.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends how long the fight is. I usually use it during the opening sequence since it's almost always going to be up again. It's generally better to use it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    I hit Unholy Blight, Obliterate x2, DnD, and Pillar, then some Frost Strikes, followed by ERW to finish off with Obliterate x3.
    Why do you use PoF after using your runes, and why do you waste runes on D&D, assuming you're 2H Frost (If you're not, then the same applies to Oblits). That just seems really silly.

OT: I use ERW mostly when I need runes, or when I want to kill something specific faster.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2013-03-25 at 12:56 AM.

I figured I'd break down what I do as an opener.

For 90% of Fights it's as follows:

Prepot > AOTD + Raise Dead > Close with boss if not already in melee > Pillar of Frost > Outbreak > Obliterate x2 > Dump with Frost Strike until empty > Obliterate with RE'd runes/ Dump the 4 runes otherwise > ERW > Obliterate X2 til RP capped, resume normal rotation.

I've worked out that lets me waste minimal resources while effectively maximizing the amount of Obliterates I can work out at the start of a fight during the Potion/Pillar's duration.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by Murdos View Post
    I figured I'd break down what I do as an opener.

For 90% of Fights it's as follows:

Prepot > AOTD + Raise Dead > Close with boss if not already in melee > Pillar of Frost > Outbreak > Obliterate x2 > Dump with Frost Strike until empty > Obliterate with RE'd runes/ Dump the 4 runes otherwise > ERW > Obliterate X2 til RP capped, resume normal rotation.

I've worked out that lets me waste minimal resources while effectively maximizing the amount of Obliterates I can work out at the start of a fight during the Potion/Pillar's duration.
    Army updates dynamically so you should prepot after channeling it ^^

I would, but our tank likes to surprise pull us, so I tend to think getting my extra pot off is worth losing a couple of seconds with it. >_>

"PULLING"

"OHSHI-" *FRANTICLLY MASHES POTION BUTTON*
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

Oh dear I feel for you on that x.x

I just switched guilds, and my old guild did that. When I asked the leader/tank to use DBM pull timer they gave me silly excuses as to why it didn't work, and then continued to make any attempt at prepot worthless. I wish you the best of luck D:

I actually end up using it fairly early into the fight so its up again for hero (usually hero @ the end most fights).... and sometimes i just use it when im rune locked. Really depends on the length on the fight

Depends on the fight. I try and use it early to get another use out of it, unless there is a really hard burn phase like on heroic spine, then save it for that.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I only use it when I am out of runes with moderate to low RP. Typically if I don't have a lot of runes/RP up and I just popped PoF, that's when I use ERW.

Using it during lust is a huge waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    Oh dear I feel for you on that x.x

I just switched guilds, and my old guild did that. When I asked the leader/tank to use DBM pull timer they gave me silly excuses as to why it didn't work, and then continued to make any attempt at prepot worthless. I wish you the best of luck D:
    Oh he's a great tank and a good guy; he just sometimes actually pulls the boss halfway through the DBM timer.

Also, honestly. I'm just in the habit of potion before army.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf