Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is Kel'thuzad dead?

I'm surprised Blizzard has not given more attention to Kel'thuzad, when he is one of the best characters in Warcraft, and given his enormous significance in WC3. After Naxxramas 2.0, he seemingly disappeared without a trace, and it makes you question if he really just died after his second defeat. But unless some absurd retcon says otherwise, it is stated a Lich can never die until their soul shard is destroyed, after which, they will fade from existence.

This shard, seen on Kel'thuzad's first defeat, was never seen after his second defeat, and the Lich King made no effort to bring him back or mentioned him (presumably for his failure).

What happened to him?
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

His phylactery is still MIA.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

10+ Year Old Account
    Kel'thuzad is a lich.

Of course he is dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe he is not dead. I never read anything about destroying his phylactery, so most likely it was taken by one of his followers in order to resurrect him.

No Kel'thuzad is not dead. Lots of people say that the Phylactery of the Nameless Lich from Sindragosa was his, but let us be honest here. There was no quest to destroy the phylactery therefor his spirit is still out there somewhere. I personally am waiting for Kel'thuzad to reappear in the expansion "Wrath of the New Lich King", featured as the second to last boss in Firecrown Citadel.

The scary thing? I am only slightly kidding about that... I would love to see more of the Scourge, I was so disappointed when we killed the Lich King.

He was their at the start of the exp maybe next expansion they will bring him back but atm we are in panda land so idk.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

wrong, its not going to be wrath of the new lich king its going to be Wrath of the Bitch Queen, because sylvannis is doing the same shit arthas was

10+ Year Old Account
    Thel'zan (the lich under Wintergarde Keep in the Mauloseum) was a false agent of the Dawn who was delivered the Phylactery in Vanilla to destroy it. But instead, he hoarded it, allowing Kel to reform. He was rewarded through ascendance to a Lich. Although, I have no idea where the Phylactery is.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    He's dead, all liches are.

The Lich King accidently brought him back after anuberak died in TOC,but he messed up and changed him into a lady lich, now she's the 2nd boss in ICC. Really though his phylactery is still missing, so tech he still exists but i would hardly call it living.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kel'Thuzad's status is unconfirmed. He won't cease to exist until his phylactery is finally destroyed. You'd think it would have been shortly after his second defeat in Naxxramas, but who knows - he may have set up failsafes to ensure his survival, like his first defeat.

He might find his way back to the realm of the living in the wake of Bolvar's crowning - maybe Kel'Thuzad feels it'd a good time to try for the crown himself.

Any liches that haven't had their phylacteries destroyed, eh...you just kind of have to assume they're done for good. And even then, there's no evidence that they would pledge themselves to Bolvar. No matter the state he's in, the dude's Venkman; not Gozer.

Anyway, Cataclysm and Mists showed us that the Cult of the Damned is just that, a self-defeating organization that has no real purpose without the Lich King's guidance.

So, forget it. The WC1 generation are happy you've had your expansion, but our storytime is overdue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles Malarkey View Post
    Any liches that haven't had their phylacteries destroyed, eh...you just kind of have to assume they're done for good. And even then, there's no evidence that they would pledge themselves to Bolvar. No matter the state he's in, the dude's Venkman; not Gozer.

Anyway, Cataclysm and Mists showed us that the Cult of the Damned is just that, a self-defeating organization that has no real purpose without the Lich King's guidance.

So, forget it. The WC1 generation are happy you've had your expansion, but our storytime is overdue.
    That's true, but the cult of the damned had that problem because they did not have noone to lead them, but if Kelthuzad come back and lead them to battle they can be a really great foe

"Naxxramas was just a set back." Kael'Thas Sunstrider.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles Malarkey View Post

but..... warcraft 1 was pretty much completely retconned...
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Original Kel'Thuzad fight had you loot his Phylactery and return it to Father Montoy and the quest ended there. That of course led to him going to Northrend and reviving Kel'Thuzad in turn for getting power (which we promptly killed him, worthwhile trade!)

But then the Phylactery is MIA and never seen again. If Blizzard played the game of keeping his Phylactery around and eventually set off that Chekov's gun, then they definitely didn't accidentally forget to include it the second time around, it's an omission that was very likely intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    I'm surprised Blizzard has not given more attention to Kel'thuzad, when he is one of the best characters in Warcraft, and given his enormous significance in WC3. After Naxxramas 2.0, he seemingly disappeared without a trace, and it makes you question if he really just died after his second defeat. But unless some absurd retcon says otherwise, it is stated a Lich can never die until their soul shard is destroyed, after which, they will fade from existence.

This shard, seen on Kel'thuzad's first defeat, was never seen after his second defeat, and the Lich King made no effort to bring him back or mentioned him (presumably for his failure).

What happened to him?

I would be VERY surprised to not see him pop in during the next Burning Legion themed xpac..../discuss among yourselves when that will be

Deleted
    The legion stole the phylactery and Kil'Jaeden will revive him as a Fel Lich :>

Nah i doubt about it, i think that he wont come back cause Blizzard didn't thinked about the phylactery...

Naxxramas will come back as a 5-man, because it STILL wasn't easy enough as a 10/25 man (for reference, see: people failing Immortal/Undying runs).

No, but seriously, he's one of the minor characters in their back pocket if they ever need to magic up another temporary roadblock enemy.

I think if they ever brought back Bolvar as a Fire Lich King style think in a tier of content KT would be one of the bosses if he is not dead