Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

i5 3570K - Speed vs Voltage

Hi guys,

I've upgraded my rig to include a z77 board and 3570k cpu, with the dark rock pro 2 cpu cooler. Alas, I made a mistake with the motherboard purchase, and will be returning that tomorrow. (The MSI Z77A G43 is being advertised as an OC board, without the option to alter the vcore...... I needed it's big brother, the G45.)

However, since I have a pretty massive cooler and a good CPU (and no patience to hand in my silicon lottery ticket), I figured I'd check out what speeds I could find with the motherboards 'auto vcore voltage' setting. I've ran the intel burn test (quite fast /dance) at a lot of clocks until I finally found the one where my pc wouldn't boot anymore. Went back one step, and found myself at a 45 multiplier, running 4.5GHz. Ran IBT at 'very high', no issues. Tried to run prime95 overnight, and P95 froze up about three hours in (didn't freeze or crash the pc). Ah well, I can't properly alter my settings yet anyway...

I was quite hesitant doing these tests, as I've read numerous articles about motherboards running up to 1.4v through the cpu at similar clocks. I was sort of shocked to find the exact opposite. My 4.5GHz three-to-four-hour-long P95 test showed that my vcore never went above 1.080v (hwmonitor).

Is this any indication of how the CPU will overclock on a 'real z77 board'? Would you guys consider yourself lucky to find a semi-stable clock (ffffuuuu voltage lock) at that voltage? Or is it pretty average, nothing to write home about?

I'm hoping I somehow have a cpu in the same batch as these guys.

Just really curious if this is a good sign, or if it doesn't mean anything yet.

Cheers!

Redd

Not looking forward to taking the damn dark rock pro 2 off again that thing is a beast...
    Last edited by mmoce04b469aa5; 2013-03-24 at 11:37 AM.

Deleted
    you don't want to set auto vcore when overclocking. It will just overvolt more than necessary.

Deleted
    4,5 at that voltage would be pretty good. (double checked it with other Vcore programs? , usually uefi bios ones are the most reliable)
    also what kind of temps are you getting?

tbh im lately having issues with prime aswell rocking a lazy 4,8 with way too high vcore atm but it's stable in games/3dmark/3dmark11 so i figure ill keep it like this for those few days till the 3770k is supposed to arrive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    you don't want to set auto vcore when overclocking. It will just overvolt more than necessary.
    This is very true, you are better off playing with the settings by increasing the voltage .10 untill it becomes stable. Mine runs 1.305V at 4.8GHz, crashed at 1.295 but became stable after adding 0.10, I made sure by running prime for 24 hours with no errors. You will just have to try yourself when you get your unlocked board

Prime95 temps is at 60 average. More demanding games like BF3 which shows 80 % usage is around 50-55.. I guess I have a slighty OKAY chip, nothing like the guy in your post. I could go for 5GHz but I don't want to spend many hours making sure it's stable again :/
    Last edited by Toffie; 2013-03-24 at 11:45 AM.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    This is very true, you are better off playing with the settings by increasing the voltage .10 untill it becomes stable. Mine runs 1.305V at 4.8GHz, crashed at 1.295 but became stable after adding 0.10, I made sure by running prime for 24 hours with no errors. You will just have to try yourself when you get your unlocked board
    You've won the silicon lottery then. I cant push mine past 4.4 no matter how much voltage I throw at it.
    Last edited by Evil Inside; 2013-03-24 at 11:45 AM.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    @Diesta: Well, thanks for actually reading my first post. I said I'm taking back this mobo to replace it with a vcore unlocked one tomorrow. >.>

@Shroudster: It peaked at only 55c degrees (most around 50c). That's why I had the idea that this, perhaps, gave me a pretty decent sign of how well it will actually OC. I would guess that has something to do with the low voltages (= less heat). I might have to increase it a little bit to gain stability, but even if I had to go 1.1v with 4.5GHz, shouldn't I be really happy?

@Toffie: Thanks for the tip. I've read that .010 can be enough to make a difference between a stable and unstable OC. Will be fun to tweak around with it in the upcoming weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    I might have to increase it a little bit to gain stability, but even if I had to go 1.1v with 4.5GHz, shouldn't I be really happy?
    It's very good, I'll gladly hear how it goes with your unlocked board.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    well red it know it's different architecture but im running 1.4Vcore atm for a lazy 4.8 on my 2600k. (temps mid/high 50's )
    for that kind of voltage you got the temps seem quite high?
    1.1Vcore for 4.5 should be very nice indeed but im not that sure on temps. (either coolers differ allot or ivy really runs quite hot)
    so far im thinking the auto voltage has been higher then you think it was.

or i should start worrying about the temps for my new chip since that one is ivy aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    well red it know it's different architecture but im running 1.4Vcore atm for a lazy 4.8 on my 2600k. (temps mid/high 50's )
    1.1Vcore for 4.5 should be very nice indeed but im not that sure on temps. (either coolers differ allot or ivy really runs quite hot)

or i should start worrying about the temps for my new chip since that one is ivy aswell.
    At higher clocks temperatures do start getting kinda high. You should be fine til about 4.5-4.6 or so, for example my chip at 4.4 idles at 30-40 Celsius and about 60 at full load, at 4.5+ it reaches about 70 at full load.
    Last edited by Evil Inside; 2013-03-24 at 12:37 PM.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted

I actually did come across quite a few articles saying ivy bridge runs quite hot, I'll try to look them up for you again. The voltages I measured showed in hwmonitor, and at least didn't go above that when I had my eye on cpu-z. I'll try some other monitoring tools to make sure. Either way, tomorrow I should be able to control it myself, so I'll be rid of the nasty auto voltage issue.

Can't wait for the new mobo. Want to know how far I can safely get this. Just ran 3DMark11 without issues, but no idea how to read the results and I didn't check if it underclocked at any point during the tests. (I just wanted to see what it was like, hehe)

Edit.

I see my voltages at 1.016 at idle in BIOS, but that hardly proves anything I guess.
    Last edited by mmoce04b469aa5; 2013-03-24 at 01:06 PM.

Deleted
    well yes i know ivy runs hotter but considering the pretty big voltage gap and not so big temp difference it did make me curious. (even more since we got similar coolers)
    also from what i've read so far for ivy people usually just set Vcore at 1.2 and see how far they can push the clocks. (maybe in your case with the 1,080 reaching almost stable 4.5 you might end up just below the 5,0 region)
    got a link for the 3dmark else?

Deleted
    I'll have to see what I can safely do. I'm new to the whole overclocking game, don't want to be too eager and ruin anything.

3Dm11 score. (Basic free version)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    I'll have to see what I can safely do. I'm new to the whole overclocking game, don't want to be too eager and ruin anything.

3Dm11 score. (Basic free version)
    cpu performance seems fine , saw some 4,2 clocked one reaching a 8392 score. (perhaps you still got some power saving option enabled?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine is 4.6 at 1.36v and i cant get 4.7 stable without going stupid high.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    Mine is 4.6 at 1.36v and i cant get 4.7 stable without going stupid high.
    ivy or sandy?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    You've won the silicon lottery then. I cant push mine past 4.4 no matter how much voltage I throw at it.
    ^^^ This, myself as well.
    Waste not, want not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Voltages
    4.5 GHz with only 1.08 V is very good. Most chips already require Vcore above 1.2V to run stable around these speeds. 1.08V seems almost to good to be true for 4.5GHz. Have CPU-Z running and then just start prime95 and look at the voltage.

"Official" stock voltage for the i5-3570k is 1.2V, but the chipset automatically adjusts Vcore depending on the particular chip. So in most cases the stock/auto voltage will be a bit lower. My 3570k runs at stock settings with 1.12V Vcore (everything at auto with no oc). Idle Vcore is around 0.92V.
    Via offset i manually set Vcore to those 1.12V and bumped the multiplier to 40x. Now the voltages are the same (0.92V idle, 1.12V load) with clock at 1600MHz idle and 4000MHz load. I haven't tried more yet, because i just don't need it.

Temperature
    As long as temperatures don't go very much above 60°C, it doesn't tell you anything about "how hot" your chip runs. This is for the simple reason, that the fan speed is temperature controlled (it should be anyway) and most fan controller are set with a target point of 60°C and will only really spin up when that temperature is reached. So as long as your cpu is below 70°C, all is well. If your cpu starts to reach temperatures above 70°C, then you need to either:
    - adjust the fan controller (if possible)
    - get a better heatsink/fan
    - cut back on the overclocking
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

10+ Year Old Account
    ivy or sandy?
    ivy, 3570k.

Deleted
    Thanks for the reply Biernot, I should be getting my normal z77 mobo tomorrow so I'll be looking at my cpu fan rpm's. It looked like it stayed at 100%, which seemed odd to me. The 4.5GHz isn't 100% stable at 1.08v, so I'll be upping the voltage a little bit. Actually might just set it to 1.2 and see where I can get clock/temp wise. Ran P95 again overnight and had a failure at some point during the night. Woke up to some nice hdd i/o errors. ^^

Oh, and it's a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2. If that beast can't cool it, I'm not sure what will. (Next to wc solutions, that is.)

Deleted
    do you actually have a fan controller/built in on the mobo?
    also aiming for a specific clock or just as high as it can get without too high Vcore/temps?