Poll: Which Expansion Was the Best?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm going to put down Wrath because of the storyline that was playing out and the resolution of a major part of Warcraft III's story, and its huge advancements beyond TBC and Vanilla. Cataclysm continued those advancements but they were incremental beyond what Wrath delivered, and while it was great at the start I feel like they missed an opportunity to explore the character of Deathwing and make DS more satisfying (it wasn't awful like a lot of people say, some good fights some bad, just wasn't amazing like an end of xpac raid kind of should be... it was just another raid. Spine of Deathwing was great though).

MoP has shown a huge step forward from Cata, adding so much new content I damn near killed myself trying to do half of it. And a lot of the little touches here and there have been awesome. Maybe by the end I'll actually say it's MoP.

---------- Post added 2013-03-25 at 02:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fragga View Post
    I think we can all agree it wasn't cata, although the first 2 tiers were pretty good, I quite liked firelands and rag hc was a great fight, I just think they got it so sp wrong with DS, such an awful raid and the entire expansion was just full of bad idea and wasted opportunities.
    Eh, people only remember an expansion based on the last raid, they forget a lot of what Cata did right. Personally I got my money's worth before I even got to level 85 just based on the old world revamp, which was amazing. Also LFR and transmog were great features (whatever people might say about LFR). The launch heroics were freaking awesome as well. ZG and ZA were also great the first few times - though it was a mistake to split the queues because doing them 7 times a week was horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    The amount of people picking WotLK is disheartening...

Any nostalgia baby that's not still talking about vanilla is probably talking about how much better TBC was than everything else. Lol.

I'm one of those nostalgia babies. In my eyes, during TBC, the game was at the perfect medium of complexity and simplicity. The sense of community was like nothing I've seen to date and is mostly what kept me playing through that time period. Probably 80% of my most memorable moments in WoW are from TBC. I can't help but have a strong attachment to it.
    A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.-George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Eh, people only remember an expansion based on the last raid, they forget a lot of what Cata did right. Personally I got my money's worth before I even got to level 85 just based on the old world revamp, which was amazing. Also LFR and transmog were great features (whatever people might say about LFR). The launch heroics were freaking awesome as well. ZG and ZA were also great the first few times - though it was a mistake to split the queues because doing them 7 times a week was horrible.
    Cata fell flat for me in art/questing department. New races were cool, but felt out of place. At least worgen did. Old world redux was nice in places, but it changed a lot of zones that I liked aesthetically into more boring versious. Specifically, Ashenvale, Aszhara and Stonetalon used to have this awesome mystical feel that instead of being improved, got replaced with boring war storylines. Stonetalon used to be one of my favorite zones before Cata, and now it's overdone with phasing and silly anachronistic war subplot.

New zones weren't much better. Vash'jir was aesthetically and thematically awesome, but the story was overdrawn and boring. Hyjal was bland and linear. Uldum started out fun, but quickly descended into a game of fitting as many indiana jones references as possible. Deepholm might have been the only zone that I kinda liked.

Granted, dungeons in Cata were kinda fun.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I actually liked Firelands patch. Didn't get to kill Rag, but firelands was awesome raid and the daily zone was kinda cool.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    You should change the thread title to reflect the actual topic.
    "What is/was your most enjoyable WoW expansion?"

MoP so far for me, With wrath coming a close second. Wrath would be winning if TOGC didn't happen!

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Cata fell flat for me in art/questing department. New races were cool, but felt out of place. At least worgen did. Old world redux was nice in places, but it changed a lot of zones that I liked aesthetically into more boring versious. Specifically, Ashenvale, Aszhara and Stonetalon used to have this awesome mystical feel that instead of being improved, got replaced with boring war storylines. Stonetalon used to be one of my favorite zones before Cata, and now it's overdone with phasing and silly anachronistic war subplot.

New zones weren't much better. Vash'jir was aesthetically and thematically awesome, but the story was overdrawn and boring. Hyjal was bland and linear. Uldum started out fun, but quickly descended into a game of fitting as many indiana jones references as possible. Deepholm might have been the only zone that I kinda liked.

Granted, dungeons in Cata were kinda fun.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I actually liked Firelands patch. Didn't get to kill Rag, but firelands was awesome raid and the daily zone was kinda cool.
    Eh, personally I prefer all those zones post-revamp (hell Azshara was empty before Cata! Except Azuregos who yes I missed a bit too). Only thing I really miss from the old world was some of the old longass quest chains, like Shifting Sands and Dungeon Set 2. And the Tirion Fordring chain. I agree that changing the timeline so Vanilla happens after Wrath is kind of weird but still.

I loved Vashj, do agree it was too long though. And still needs resolution! Deepholm was good the first time, just wish they hadn't made me do it on every alt. Hyjal was fine (especially after the continuation in Molten Front). I loved Uldum personally, I enjoyed the Indiana Jones thing. It's only about a third of the zone anyway. The only zone I didn't much like was TwiHi. I liked the initial Dragonmaw quests, a few bits with the dragonflights and seeing Garona again but the rest was a bit boring (and the most boring quests of all got turned into dailies, ugh). Alliance side was a bit better, loved the Dwarf wedding.

It's true that the disparate zones made it a bit all over the place but I feel people overstate what a big deal that was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    TBC/Wrath but being a pvper at heart I mostly enjoyed TBC, very much so I voted that.

TBC was so damn terrible in so many ways. One button rotations and whatnot. Wotlk was my sentimental favorite, but I feel like wow got better each xpac until MoP.

Started on TBC and i loved it, Wotlk was awesome seriously music was awesome and all of icecrown was...so epic , cata was bad but then came MoP...this mysterious land like we've never seen before like in any other game with such an awesome music made by Jeremy soul which is such a great writter in the music industry makes this game feel powerful and alive so for me MoP then Wotlk!

10+ Year Old Account
    i wonder if all those who voted for MoP have even played longer than a year to KNOW what the others were like in their own time.???

The best expansion is pretty much when you started playing. So, it will mostly be Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King. For newer players, probably Mists of Pandaria.

Why do we need this thread every month?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I like MoP, but its too early to say "best expansion"; cata 4.0 was really nice but the rest no, firelands is nice but 4.1 is really small and Hour of Twilight is shit, the worst final patch ever; wotlk was a great expansion (ulduar, old gods, icecrown citadel, northrend, etc); BC meh (i only like zulaman and sunwell); and vainilla is not a expansion, so nothing.

Newer is always better True story

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahFrigginBlah View Post
    i wonder if all those who voted for MoP have even played longer than a year to KNOW what the others were like in their own time.???
    Considering people tend to hate on the current expansion, i'd say that actually enjoying the current one is really saying something. Having played since Mid-TBC, I would also consider it to be the best one. I love the hell out of Vanilla raids and leveling, and how unique every class was - But that wasn't an expansion, so i won't count it.

Tbh, the only expansion I really didn't like was Cata, but that's not really too much Blizzard's fault as a lot of the content was rehashing old zones, which had to be done at one time or another. MoP is still my favorite though, ToT did it for me. Straight into my top 3 raids, kara, uld and ToT.

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    The best expansion is pretty much when you started playing. So, it will mostly be Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King. For newer players, probably Mists of Pandaria.
    Not true, some of us are smart enough to realise that rose-tint doesn't make good content. I started in Vanilla, loved it, but it was pretty crap in terms of actual content, accessibility and time spent.

So, either WotLK or Mists would be mine.

Vanilla - Wasn't an expansion; terribly bland (hence "vanilla") grind-fest, content-wise.
    TBC - Was hell for those who Raided or loved Alts - attunements. Otherwise good.
    WotLK - Eased up on the alt restrictions, had great PvE content and 10/25s were separate (needs to come back).
    Cata - Loved Cata besides DS; I still loved the raid but Spine/Madness was just bleh, and it lasted too long imo.
    MoP - Currently loving it, they're still making mistakes but they seem to be trying to fix them - Content coming much quicker.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2013-03-25 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahFrigginBlah View Post
    I have played since Maraudon for all but a six month period, and I say screw it: As of right now Mists hands down. As long as they don't completely fuck up 5.4 with some super cheesy Sha of Pride gimmick. Whatever they have planned.

The raid progression is more like BC than Wrath or Cata, for sure. They just recently put up a blue post saying that players who can't get past Horridon should clear T14, so easy Raid Finder loot may not be imposing itself on the most recent tiers just yet.

The story telling is at the best form it has ever been, in my opinion. I don't care for all of the content, but the way that they measure things out, such as 5.3 where they're giving some note to the Zandalari STILL after Throne of Thunder (and several other great examples) shows that hopefully the days of story lines like that dwarf princess finally returning to Ironforge in Cataclysm only to have nothing else happen with the dwarves are going to come to an end sooner rather than later (the dwarves apparently also being related to the Zandalari story for the Alliance).

PvP is totally fucked, though. But I admit, I do not care about that at all since the obvious sign of Flawless Victor titles being removed in just one season in Wrath because Wrath was just as horrible in similar ways.

Art? Gear and environment design? Well, I'm certainly still enjoying it all.
    Last edited by Shibboleths; 2013-03-25 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    TBC and WotLK are pretty much tied for me. Cata was bad and MoP is even worse.
    What the... I don't even...

Anyways for me It's TBC > TLK > Cata. Vanilla dosen't count ever it's not an expansion and I'm not counting MoP yet as we're mid expansion. So far its looking very good for MoP. Things I currently dislike is how the valor capping bonus works, as it feels like I need to play one character until capped then I can play alts so I'm not being inefficient with my valor. They could fix it by making it account wide so when you get X valor you get the bonus. Obviously the dailys at the start where kind of a frustrating/annoying grind but it wasent the end of the world people made it seem to be. Everything else has been very good, I don't pay much attention to PvP cause meh... Right now its probably just under TBC for me.
    Last edited by re1gn1te; 2013-03-25 at 03:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best is subjective, but I personally enjoyed Wrath of the Lich King the most. I enjoyed the 5-mans, loved the zones and their respective musical scores, and killing loads of zombies and ghouls is always fantastic.

I started to play in BC, but didn't get into the end game. However, I played most of Wrath up to RS and had a blast. The zones were great, the story was good, and 5-mans were decent at first. They became tank n spank later on, but I personally loved the Frozen Halls dungeons, especially HoR. There was so much to do and I played on a low populated realm at the time. People were always running all kinds of raids, even when ICC came out.

Cata was ok. I took a break and came back for 4.3. I switched to a medium populated realm since my last one died. In my experience, there was a lot less to do. You had 3 face roll heroics, LFR, and DS. Perhaps it was my realm, but players were hardly running any other raids and pugging was pretty much non-existent. Compared to Wrath, I became bored awfully quick and leveled alts. I found that there was a lot less to do during end game than in Wrath. However, I enjoyed the fact of how alt friendly Cata was. Overall, Cata was ok.

I just started to play MoP about a month ago, and this is by far the worst expansion. I can't stand the over-the-top cheesy Asian theme. I don't like grinding dailies and I don't like the fact that 5-mans and scenarios are utterly meaningless. I find no point running them. Currently, I am left with running dailies and running LFR once a week. Due do dailies, I have no desire to level any of my alts.

I hope it gets better, but currently I am enjoying MoP the least. Hopefully, I will be raiding soon and I am looking forward to heroic scenarios. I hope they provide a challenge, along with being a good way to gear up. Then I can start leveling my alts again.
    Last edited by Antiderivative; 2013-03-25 at 04:53 AM.