How are hunters doing in PvP atm? Marksman competitive?

I'm curious to get other opinions on this. They seem to be doing well from the outside however Ive crushed quite a few on my rogue without much trouble mainly because I know a lot of their tricks. This isn't flame or anything else, it just I've been playing wow since 2006 and played a hunter quite a lot during BC, Wotlk, and Cata. I just haven't played them that much this expansion. So all that nonsense being said I feel I have a skewed opinion on hunters because of how much I have played them over the years.

I see lots of BM and not much of anything else, is this because the other specs aren't viable or is this because BM is just easier to play? I have always been a huge fan of Marksman over just about anything else. I also for that matter don't seem to see that many hunters around anymore, and as I stated above the ones I do see are BM.

Thoughts? Is this just one of statistical anomalies that I haven't seen any memorable/skilled/geared MM or Surv hunters in bgs, rbgs, or arenas? Even after looking up the pros I see a staggeringly small about of MM hunters, do they only work with certain comps or?
    Last edited by Carni; 2013-03-21 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carni View Post
    I'm curious to get other opinions on this. They seem to be doing well from the outside however Ive crushed quite a few on my rogue without much trouble mainly because I know a lot of their tricks. This isn't flame or anything else, it just I've been playing wow since 2006 and played a hunter quite a lot during BC, Wotlk, and Cata. I just haven't played them that much this expansion. So all that nonsense being said I feel I have a skewed opinion on hunters because of how much I have played them over the years.

I see lots of BM and not much of anything else, is this because the other specs aren't viable or is this because BM is just easier to play? I have always been a huge fan of Marksman over just about anything else. I also for that matter don't seem to see that many hunters around anymore, and as I stated above the ones I do see are BM.

Thoughts? Is this just one of statistical anomalies that I haven't seen any memorable/skilled/geared MM or Surv hunters in bgs, rbgs, or arenas? Even after looking up the pros I see a staggeringly small about of MM hunters, do they only work with certain comps or?
    for 2's BM is still prolly best spec due to los dmg/ and utility. for 3's and group play (rbg) im rolling MM. the personal burst setup of careful aimed shots, self heals and constant slows on target are all plus's. i tend to get my zoo and pets cc'd alot more in 3's and groups as well, shutting down our dmg output, which sucks. Ive tried surv, and though the traps are nice, doesnt have the burst MM or bm have which is what is needed for pvp.

Deleted
    BM with Powershot is the only way to go atm, even though pets are pretty unresponsive atm, this los shit has really broken BM pvp atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    BM with Powershot is the only way to go atm, even though pets are pretty unresponsive atm, this los shit has really broken BM pvp atm.
    I got hit with that the other day..... I find myself hoping it can't crit because it hit pretty hard. Stupid freezing traps.

---------- Post added 2013-03-21 at 08:48 PM ----------

Why is BM considered the best atm? is it for all the built in healing you can get now? or all the free burst? or is it just easier to play?

BM is best mainly for utility, stun extra trinket, LoS damage.
    MM is still viable especially since they nerfed cc a bit, no insta fears, lower cd shockwave if your team is careful etc.

Deleted
    I did a lot of solo PvP on the Isle of Thunder, just for fun. You get a lot of 1on1 fights there. I play BM with shale spider.

I only had serious issues with the following classes:

Warlocks: takes an eternity to take them down, but their damage doesn't seem to be that great, it's just that they tend to outlast a hunter.
    Shadow Priests: great damage and great survivability, even if their shield is dispelled instantly. Maybe hardest class for a hunter.
    Blood DKs: great survivability, even if they are not allowed to death strike the pet, which also means a lot less damage done by the hunter. They are not like the cata Blood DKs, as they have access to things in the talent tree that aren't meant for tanks. So it's not like "olol kite the blood dk and he dead lolol".

Of course I cannot kill rogues if they want to run away... can't stop that, no one can stop them from getting away. A few losses against rogues are all due to shurriken toss, but in general they are doable.

Not counting hunter as a hunter, and I'm not sure about monks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joepesci View Post
    I did a lot of solo PvP on the Isle of Thunder, just for fun. You get a lot of 1on1 fights there. I play BM with shale spider.

I only had serious issues with the following classes:

Warlocks: takes an eternity to take them down, but their damage doesn't seem to be that great, it's just that they tend to outlast a hunter.
    Shadow Priests: great damage and great survivability, even if their shield is dispelled instantly. Maybe hardest class for a hunter.
    Blood DKs: great survivability, even if they are not allowed to death strike the pet, which also means a lot less damage done by the hunter. They are not like the cata Blood DKs, as they have access to things in the talent tree that aren't meant for tanks. So it's not like "olol kite the blood dk and he dead lolol".

Of course I cannot kill rogues if they want to run away... can't stop that, no one can stop them from getting away. A few losses against rogues are all due to shurriken toss, but in general they are doable.

Not counting hunter as a hunter, and I'm not sure about monks.
    In all honesty I really like MM for pvp as well but BM is so potent atm that you just cannot get away from it. Between the extra trinket and burst i find that the only class I truly have trouble with is Spriests and the occasional resto shammy lol (op much) and as far as monks that ring of peace bs is just that BS!!!!

Yea spriests seem absolutely ridiculous now, they got this shadow insanity thing that heals them to full and does 1123812371293 damage to me, and usually i can't interupt it? maybe they get like aura mastery or something but still, that's just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by joepesci View Post
    I'm a little confused by this part. Can't you just throw hunter's mark on them and they can't hide from you. On top of that, you have concussive shot...snare that's duration is longer than its cooldown. And no resource requirement. How does a rogue get away from you?

Right now, BM is the strongest PvP class across the board. Blizz has done a better job of making MM viable again, but BM still has the lead in terms of strength in PvP. It has the highest burst and also is very versatile. Pack blink strike with powershot for a BM hunter and you are bundling a huge amount of burst in a split second. An argument can be made for MM, but just look at the pvp leaderboards and you will notice how none of the hunters really run MM, most of them all run BM. At this point in time it still is the best pvp spec.