Deleted

[Protection] DPS vs Tanking tier?

Assuming you are not tanking end-tier content (doing HC's at a slow 1boss per week), which of the two sets would be preferable?

I have heard talk of mixing 2/2 set and some even considering going full deeps.

Any thoughts?

Deleted
    Depends from fight to fight
    The DPS you will gain from the 4 set DPS is quite substantial and honestly in a 25 Man raid I find both prot set bonuses lackluster so either go full offpiece HC TF or go for 4 piece DPS for a massive DPS increase

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
    Assuming you are not tanking end-tier content (doing HC's at a slow 1boss per week), which of the two sets would be preferable?

I have heard talk of mixing 2/2 set and some even considering going full deeps.

Any thoughts?
    Unless you plan on soloing a dungeon or doing a 25 man raid without 25 people, protection really won't matter. Generally, unless you know that your going to have to tank or your health is going to sink dangerously low without a healer, that extra DPS bonus will speed things up significantly.

Unless of course you prefer to fight twenty different mobs at once without having to charge from one battle to the next.

I plan to go full offpiece TF and pass the tier to the DPS/Healers in my guild but once everyone starts getting their tier I will be getting my full DPS set. The tanking set bonuses are not that great IMO and I would much rather have way better stats on TF or way better set bonuses from the DPS set.

Deleted
    You consider going 4 piece dps to get a second recklessness on a three minute timer? Sacrificing a ton of mastery in the process in exchange for some haste/crit you can barely use... interesting.

I'll aim for 2 piece prot set (probably helmet + shoulder) + heroic thunderforged pieces in the end, allowing me to hit the full combat table coverage at the end of this tier with both exp and hit capped. I don't see why you wouldn't want two piece, it's a 15/22.5-20/30% heal (un-glyphed, un-talented) which can help out your healer. Only downside it's on the gcd but getting off 200k+ heals isn't to shabby imho - with a 20 second window there's almost always some time to use it.

Deleted
    Crit is ridiculous for Prot DPS, just throwing that out there:P

Quote Originally Posted by klausistklaus View Post
    You consider going 4 piece dps to get a second recklessness on a three minute timer? Sacrificing a ton of mastery in the process in exchange for some haste/crit you can barely use... interesting.

I'll aim for 2 piece prot set (probably helmet + shoulder) + heroic thunderforged pieces in the end, allowing me to hit the full combat table coverage at the end of this tier with both exp and hit capped. I don't see why you wouldn't want two piece, it's a 15/22.5-20/30% heal (un-glyphed, un-talented) which can help out your healer. Only downside it's on the gcd but getting off 200k+ heals isn't to shabby imho - with a 20 second window there's almost always some time to use it.
    Didn't they make it a lot more difficult to get full combat table coverage when they moved block calculations to come after dodge and parry ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slondon View Post
    Didn't they make it a lot more difficult to get full combat table coverage when they moved block calculations to come after dodge and parry ?
    Well, I'm currently on 58.82% passive CTC albeit using 2 stam trinkets so you can add 4% to that value and my gear is pretty decent (524).

1k Mastery giving me .76% Block chance, 1k Dodge giving me 1.29% and 1k Parry giving me 1.25%, I'm sure you can do the rest of the mathematics to work out how much more stats I would need ^^:P
    Last edited by mmocae83d35844; 2013-03-27 at 05:05 PM.

klaus, they changed Reck to be 3 minutes and 30% crit in 5.2. The bonus will reduce it more though, making it further lulz.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    Well, I'm currently on 58.82% passive CTC
    No, you don't. Block is on a second roll since MoP.

In fact you have :
    miss : 0% (lvl93 cant miss lvl90 player anymore)
    dodge : 10.72-4.5=6.22% (dodge from you armory, boss is lvl93 so you dodge 4.5% less)
    parry : 20.09-4.5=15.59% (same)
    block : (100-6.22-15.59)*(0.2301-0.045)=14,47% (hits that aren't dodge/parry, you block chance (-4.5%) apply to theses - 2nd roll system)

So you're current CTC is in fact 6.22+15.59+14.47= 36.28%
    You need 104.5% block for full CTC, so it's impossible.
    Last edited by mmoc0e829c698e; 2013-03-27 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beppz View Post
    So you're current CTC is in fact 6.22+15.59+14.47= 36.28%
    It's really not even worth going through the trouble of mathing this out at all. Without a full combat table worth of block % CTC will always be impossible.

Deleted
    Either way, my point stands that its not exactly viable and I just did some quick numbers to prove it = P

ps: I had taken the dodge and parry into consideration vs a 93 mob:P

Deleted
    Atleast for 10man the 2piece tankset seems rather good. Other than that im gonna pass the rest tier pieces to classes that actually have a good 4set.

Deleted
    For 10 man, yeah I can see the 2 piece being pretty strong when combined with the glyph