Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    truth be told i'm not a great PvP'er but it is a huge deterrent now with PvP power and resilience to factor in. The thing about PvP is that there is no introduction as guys just kick the sh*t out of player in and out of BGs now, I'm a PVE guy start regulars, heroics, raids, etc. So you wanna prove that you're a great PvP'er play on a level that fits your gear score instead of prooving how "leet" you are beating on guys (like me) just testing the water from time to time
    Real Paladins Do It with Crusader

15+ Year Old Account
    Just because you feel you got more determined to play by getting killed over and over in a PvP battle doesn't mean the majority does. Though I can't speak for the majority since I don't know which side has the majority on this, however I don't like getting killed over and over without the chance of killing them.

problem is most casuals think being stomped is a bad think because they just want to jump around oneshot everyone because that's "fun" by their definition
    and if they don't get to do that they will whine and cry all over the place and they wont stop untill blizzard makes some changes and therefore casuals who are just bad affect high rated pvp and that's why people hate them

it works like this

casual joins BG --> he gets stomped --> cries on forums --> blizzard makes some changes --> high rated pvpers are mad because the changes make no sence --> they join BG to practice --> they stomp casuals --> casuals cry on forums ... and so on for last 5 years +-

Inspirational as your anecdote may be, you seem to be missing what they're actually aiming for. This game isn't really marketed as a PvP game in any way; it's really more of an alternate playstyle in a largely PvE game. I doubt they're looking to set the game up as a PvP challenge for new players to meet. Their changes to PvP gearing are to make it more accessible to the millions of dragonslayers already in the game that might enjoy PvP if they could be competitive in it. Keep in mind these aren't those exceptional newbies that are excited to improve; they're experienced players with developed egos. They have no interest in being useless and just getting farmed at low mmr, so if that's their only option they'll pass up the entire thing. I completely agree with these changes. There's no reason for PvP to be a gear grind when it can just be skill determining games.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's very simple fellas...
    We grew up, i mean i can't even begin to compare the free time i used to have 8 years ago to now.
    -married with 2 kids
    -full time job
    -mortgage etc etc etc

I don't demand blizzard to adapt their game to my habits and free time, but the truth still remains that around 70% of the people playing the game are old school players and WoW hasn't been getting as many new players as they thought they would.

So they just try to adapt to the majority of their fan base growing up and having less time, simple as that

Some people might react as you do where you become driven to succeed, but many people react in the opposite manner. They don't consider it fun to rez and be killed the instant they encounter an enemy player. That's not what they want out of this game, and it completely turns them off to PVP. They want to be able to play and have a chance to succeed. If you're vastly outgeared by the other players, there's nearly zero chance of success, and that isn't good gameplay. Blizzard is trying to fix that for new PVP players.

Also, I think they really do need to work on the class balance issue, also.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Personally I believe that they are attempting to address the wrong problem. I feel people are being put off PvP because of the terrible class balance which now exists and inconsistencies which arise due to PvP and PvE clashing. The solution would be two sets of numbers allowing them to balance PvP without impacting PvE at a much more consistent level.
    Bullshit.

Class balance has always been mediocre. What's changed?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Just because you feel you got more determined to play by getting killed over and over in a PvP battle doesn't mean the majority does. Though I can't speak for the majority since I don't know which side has the majority on this, however I don't like getting killed over and over without the chance of killing them.
    every (decent) PvPer in the world has gone through what I ve gone through

10+ Year Old Account
    It is all fine and dandy the first time around, but I am getting sick of gearing and leveling. They are ruining the game for me. I can handle leveling as much as I loathe it now, but it sucks knowing that after I get to 90 that I can't do anything worthwhile for several weeks while I grind gear.

I am one of those casuals now. So cater to me Blizz! You fucked me over when I was serious, so now gimme gimme!!!!!!
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    every (decent) PvPer in the world has gone through what I ve gone through
    WAGs about every PvPer aside, I don't think you really get it.

This is not a change meant for you (or me for that matter), this is a change meant for what Blizzard believes is a much large percentage of it's player base. People like Bublex a few posts up want to disparage them by labeling them "casuals" as a derogatory term, Blizzard on the other hand sees them as paying customers. And the nice thing about this change, most of the "high level" PvPers are actually happy about the change. Outside of ridiculous corner cases that people have fabricated in their mind (like evil PvE wearing yet PvP gemmed/enchanted/glyphed tanks attacking characters at random world locations), this change is harmless to people like you, me and Bublex who would have grinded up all our honor/conquest gear anyway.

Also, getting pwnd by fully decked out twinks in BoA gear won't change because of this either, so low level BGs will still be the gauntlet it is today. No change.

Quote Originally Posted by Danaos View Post
    And because you felt that way it will be the same for everyone starting pvp now? Seems legit...not.
    I can certainly understand how frustrating it must be to be dead before you had a change to adapt, even if you know yout class and the battleground beforehand, just because the other player has way better gear.
    that is the problem, people are so self-centered, they assume what worked for them, must be the best way for everyone.

to me, the problem with pvp, outside general imbalances, is that it is gear based at all, instead of purely skill based. The only ones that would fight tooth and nail for the current paradigm are ones who would rather outgear than outskill their opponents. You hear their sentiments, and a hint of their self-doubt ... I remember something said similar to 'so a new scrub should be able to challenge me?' which is quite telling, it means they realize that even though they've been playing for a while, they see their skill isn't superior, or are at least afraid it isn't, and want that gear advantage instead of the challenge and possible defeat.

If you truly loved the pvp aspect of the game, not gank potential/overwhelming your opponent, you'd want the challenge, and you'd want an equal footing. There is nothing like going against someone with equal or greater skill, learning and possibly defeating that opponent. That is the growth to be proud of, not outgearing people and wiping the floor with them, similar to a body builder walking into a hospital and punching bed-ridden people.

This is what a lot of people say about world pvp ... and why crz had such a large outcry against it at first ... max levels ganking lowbies. There is nothing wrong with some really great world pvp at level. I'd like to imagine a STV with all appropriate leveled toons ganking, forming groups, and having a total war ... not a bunch of 90s circle jerking over some 30s trying to quest. Ganking itself isn't the problem, it is people with low self esteem that need god-mode type power level differences. Nothing wrong with a rogue waiting for you to pass, popping out, stun-locking you to death, if they are within reasonable level of you. I can't say I'm not guilty of doing some OP ganks before, because I have ... but it wasn't fun, and I eventually helped them a bit ... because the most important thing for the game as a whole, is that everyone enjoys the game, so they continue to play; not chase people off the game through poor attitudes/sportsmanship.

At the end of the day, it is a game, and both factions are there to have fun ... if I camp a lowbie for 5 hours so they can't rez without death; that shows a lack of respect for your fellow human behind the keyboard. If I gank you a couple times, that is fair play, but if I clearly outclass your abilities/gear, then I'll move on to something that is a challenge ... because for me, the challenge makes it all worth it. Without risk of being defeated, there is no reward for engaging them in the first place.

The most fun I've had was in mid-high level bgs where you run into a couple people and win a 1v2+ fight of people with similar gear, using all your abilities and skill, and barely come out on top at the end. A victory from a proper challenge, is very fulfilling. When I roll a hunter with full heirlooms and one shot everything on the battlefield, it is not nearly as fun, besides when the rest of your team is crap and you actually struggle to win it, and your OPness is the only thing giving you a slight chance against an organized group (and an organized group will own you if the rest of your team is crap).

to each their own though.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only people complaining about these changes are the people who couldn't cut high rankings or find an RBG team and compensate by rolling random battlegrounds with elite gear.

Seriously, gear progression is totally unnecessary in PvP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

@op the new changes are great. sure a fully pve geared player does less dmg but still doesn't get 2 shotted like they do now.
    and do you really think that the lvl 17 vs 19 twinks did anyting to your 2200 rating?

and you where not a noob at WoW you where a newbie. alot of people don't understand the diffrents between a noob and a newbie.

---------- Post added 2013-03-26 at 04:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The only people complaining about these changes are the people who couldn't cut high rankings or find an RBG team and compensate by rolling random battlegrounds with elite gear.

and they put in gear progression because otherwise people would be bored fast and all reroll fotm.
    might as well remove leveling because its not needed for a mmo because its all about end game.
    might as well remove gear from pve so we can't blame rng for your suc6.

gear progression is needed. if you like it or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Siddown View Post
    WAGs about every PvPer aside, I don't think you really get it.

This is not a change meant for you (or me for that matter), this is a change meant for what Blizzard believes is a much large percentage of it's player base. People like Bublex a few posts up want to disparage them by labeling them "casuals" as a derogatory term, Blizzard on the other hand sees them as paying customers. And the nice thing about this change, most of the "high level" PvPers are actually happy about the change. Outside of ridiculous corner cases that people have fabricated in their mind (like evil PvE wearing yet PvP gemmed/enchanted/glyphed tanks attacking characters at random world locations), this change is harmless to people like you, me and Bublex who would have grinded up all our honor/conquest gear anyway.

Also, getting pwnd by fully decked out twinks in BoA gear won't change because of this either, so low level BGs will still be the gauntlet it is today. No change.
    I welcome the 5.3 changes. I only state the obvious in my post.

It's opposite for me -
    I just wanted to quit the game because I know I won't be able to kill these full conquest 2/2s for several months, so why bother trying if the season's gonna end before you ever get remotely in par with them.

Honor gear grind is understandable, but conquest+upgrade(that is gated by caps) isn't.

I never liked gear progression. The most fun time I had was at the end of Cata, when I had full conquest gear, and was able to forget about all that Conquest point shit and just enjoy PVP

Scrubs will still get smashed in 5.3 and they won't have gear to blame anymore. I wonder what they'll blame at that point; surely not their keyboard-turning, ability-clicking incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    I welcome the 5.3 changes. I only state the obvious in my post.
    You named your post "What Blizzard Doesn't Understand" and you go on about gear gaps being a good thing because it made you "tougher". At least that's what it appears you are on about, but that is somehow in support of 5.3?

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post

I'm sorry, but that's completely fallacious.
    My priest which is my current PvP toon plays on Tich, I'm personally only 1800 in RBG's right now but the group I run with has 5 or 6 Gladiators, and all but my priest have been(and currently are) 2200+ in arena's and/or RBG's, Not a single one of them like this change and all agree that its total BS of a change, as do most players on the server, the ones not complaining about this change are the ones too lazy(or too bad) to put the time into getting some PvP gear, which is kinda sad because if its not an AV week(end) and you have a healer/tank to que with its faster run heroics to get the gear so they can get their valor caps while gearing up for pvp instead of running BG's.

Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's completely fallacious.
    My priest which is my current PvP toon plays on Tich, I'm personally only 1800 in RBG's right now but the group I run with has 5 or 6 Gladiators, and all but my priest have been(and currently are) 2200+ in arena's and/or RBG's, Not a single one of them like this change and all agree that its total BS of a change, as do most players on the server, the ones not complaining about this change are the ones too lazy(or too bad) to put the time into getting some PvP gear, which is kinda sad because if its not an AV week(end) and you have a healer/tank to que with its faster run heroics to get the gear so they can get their valor caps while gearing up for pvp instead of running BG's.
    Um nobody whined about honor grind...

Have to agree with you on the most part,

I remember seeing a twink druid at 19, bear form 3k hp, although he decimated me and the rest of teh team, I still looked up to that player, and remebered when they nerfed twinks, meh ruined it but thats a different arguement