Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Megaera... We meet again. Forgotten Depths inspiritation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEVMlICCQis

So clearly there's quite the amount of similarities between the level shown in that video and the underground cavern, The Forgotten Depths in ToT. Is Blizzard just paying homage to this great game or what?

For those who don't want to watch the video, it's a video of the level "Cave of Hydra" from a SNES game called "King of Dragons". The stage is literally a 2d version of the Forgotten Depths who's boss is a 3 headed Hydra. Not only is it a three headed Hydra, but the Hydra's heads consist of a blue necked with ice attacks, a red neck with fire attacks and yes, a green neck with poison attacks. But that's not all! You only fight two of the heads at once. The third one stays in the back, off screen and invulnerable, until you kill one of the other heads.

So is this just one of the many throw backs Blizzard has in their games? Is this blatant plagiarism? That's for you to decide. I have my thoughts, what are yours?
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

Well hydras are pretty ubiquitous in games. And red=fire, blue=ice, green=poison is universal. Might be a reference, I wouldn't say plagiarism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Oh sure, because that game obviously created the idea of red=fire, blue=ice, and green=poison. Also don't forget this is where the first Hydra came from.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard, plagerizing and ripping off other games?

Would never happen *cough*warhammer*cough*
    Putin khuliyo

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's just a light-hearted throwback. Not malicious plagiarism or anything, lol.

Sweet, nice find

15+ Year Old Account
    A reference, at best. They're all very universal colors.

Blizzard takes ideas from everything they have experienced and that's a good thing. There's also mario reference with Tortos. They are all very fun so who care?
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2013-03-27 at 02:28 AM.

I personally don't think it's plagiarism, I think it's cool. I mean clearly it's based off of it. You don't pick a Hyrda, use those same three colors and mechanics. I mean, this is the Throne of Thunder, why wasn't one of the heads lighting? I think it's cool tbh, just pointing it out since I doubt very many people have played the game.
    Priest Warrior

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    I mean clearly it's based off of it. You don't pick a Hyrda, use those same three colors and mechanics.
    Both have a cave both have a Hydra and that's where the similarities already end...

Greece called. They want royalties due to the usage of Hydras which were clearly created by Greeks and then blatantly plagiarized every where else.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Both have a cave both have a Hydra and that's where the similarities already end...
    Don't forget that when you kill one, another color takes it's place.

where is the arcane head?
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

It's only a reference to every god damn game that has ever had a hydra or similar multi-headed serpentine creature ever.

Tiamat says "Hi", by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    where is the arcane head?
    You either have to beat the game and play a new game+ or enter up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A at the title screen, you'll hear a chime if done correctly. You've just enabled Hard Mode, good luck!

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 02:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    It's only a reference to every god damn game that has ever had a hydra or similar multi-headed serpentine creature ever.

Tiamat says "Hi", by the way.
    Oh... you mean Chromatus?
    Priest Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Next to the dwarf carving his way through saurok, orcs and trolls too?

Personally I think it's a homage to it yes. Nothing wrong with that though in my book. They still have to add all their own mechanics and stuff to it. It's not like they copy and pasted Kingdom of Dragon's source code.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

and clearly kologarn was plagiarized from chrono trigger? right? right? I mean this guy has a body and 2 arms and you only see him above the waist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV3j0g-gpPE

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefudge View Post
    and clearly kologarn was plagiarized from chrono trigger? right? right? I mean this guy has a body and 2 arms and you only see him above the waist

Funny thing is, Kologarn is my all time favorite boss because he's modeled after your typical RPG boss, which is found through out many different RPGs, not just Trigger.
    Priest Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefudge View Post

Got the right group setup but they forgot to use charm with charm top

Seriously though cmon, not even close in similarity as the one mentioned in the OP.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    Greece called. They want royalties due to the usage of Hydras which were clearly created by Greeks and then blatantly plagiarized every where else.
    Egypt called; they want some of their mythology and gods back... thanks in advance.

But seriously ooh noes! Blizzard taking inspiration or to make a reference to something else! God forbid!
    Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
    Stranger: Indeed?
    Cassilda: Indeed, it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
    Stranger: I wear no mask.
    Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!