[Prot] Request for feedback

Hey guys, one of our core raiders just re-rolled a prot warrior this expac to fill our tanking needs and it'd be awesome if you guys could provide some feedback on his spec/gear/playstyle etc.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...otser/advanced
    Last night's logs (6/12N kill, started to progress on 7th boss): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/dzy9ls2fa494jqtn/

I personally don't know much about warrior tanking, but I'm quite not sure about his decision to pick bladestorm over shockwave. Also his alchemist trinket seems pretty bad, wouldn't the DMC tanking trinket be A LOT better? Or the new VP trinket?

Also, not sure about active mitigation on warrior tanks, is he doing it right?

Anyways, appreciate ur feedback.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by land View Post
    Also, not sure about active mitigation on warrior tanks, is he doing it right?
    Sadly not at all. I really wonder what he's doing with all his empty globals, he devastates less over the entire night than i do in a single encounter. He uses cleave on all occassions instead of prefering heroic strike for single target and ... well you should just link him to any warrior guide, he really should to some basic research.

Trinkets: IF he's into mastery that alch trinket is okayish but the VP trinket is miles ahead. If he isn't (as he gemming suggests) there's no reason to use it at his current gear state.

Active Mitigation: he got the general idea but there's no reason *not* to fish for rage-generating proccs. And he should think about hitting button x in situation y like: physical damage reduction won't help against magical damage.
    Last edited by mmoc9d5efa7d44; 2013-04-03 at 05:31 PM.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    He's certainly using most of his Active Mitigation correctly, good uptime on Shield Block, could maybe be better at using Shield Barrier when it's warranted (Horridon, Tortos, etc) on the big attacks that can't be blocked. As Klaus mentioned, he could be a LOT better on damage done with Devastate use. Not only is it just more damage overall, it can/will proc more Shield Slam refreshes. I have an average up-time of about 15% on Sword and Board (the proc that refreshes Shield Slam). This is very important for rage generation. If he's keen to talking shop, he's welcome to add me to realid if he'd like. JinxDagor#1357

Deleted
    High sword and board uptime from WoL is NOT a good thing, this means you aren't reacting quickly to your procs of it and using shield slam when you should be, 15% generally being too high, aiming for around 8% apart from a few specific situations when AoE tanking
    High number of buffs generated however is a good thing

The number generated from your prot warrior @the OP is alarmingly low and he needs to start using devastate and start using heroic strike on his ultimatium procs and only then and stop wasting it on cleave on single targets even when ultimatum isn't procced

With those major things out of the way this leads me to my little list of things that he really needs to fix;

He didnt flask for the entire evening on progress
    His shield block uptime is a little low and he probably needs to work on that a little
    He needs to get rid of that horrific enchant colossus on his weapon asap
    He needs to change his shield slam glyph to something useful such as Hold the Line
    He has a veritable SMORGASBORD of gems, that need to be fixed, instead of STR / Mastery for red sockets he should be using Exp / Stam
    He needs to change his meta gem to Stam / Armor
    He should change from Bladestorm to Dragon Roar for the majority of fights, there are just so few fights that I would even possibly consider taking it over DR for
    His reforges are all over the place and even reforging to dodge of all things on one item, get reforgelite

He has two on use trinkets but didn't use either ONCE, the entire night????? I cannot begin to describe how much of a loss that is

Honestly these just seem to be general brain issues and you should, in my opinion, consider just replacing him all together as they just seem frankly like a really bad player, with so many basic things that should just come naturally to anyone raiding =s
    Last edited by mmocae83d35844; 2013-04-04 at 01:10 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    By no means am I the best prot war out there but when I swapped form my mage over to prot war in cata the one thing I aimed for was to try and get my buffs cast up there with the better wars. If you go to your WOL and look at his buffs cast in your megaera fight vs mine here you will see a huge discrepancy.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/1...=10242&e=10766

This is what I tend to look at first when people say they are having a prob with a prot war because it's the best indicator to see if they are using all the tools at there disposal or if they don't grasp the basics of the prot war.

As you can see he/she is missing ALLOT of potential tools that he/she should be using to help mitigate dmg and increase dmg.

I would send them to the prot guide in these war forums and then have them watch some vids from the POV of other prot wars to get a better grasp of how to play active mitigation war because at the moment you are getting like 50% of the tools you should out of that raid spot and that is unacceptable as a tank!
    Last edited by Odina; 2013-04-04 at 09:26 PM.

Deleted
    For video's see my channel, watch my keys light up like a spider is watching the banned episode of pokemon!

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    High sword and board uptime from WoL is NOT [SIZE=4][SIZE=2]a good thing, this means you aren't reacting quickly to your procs of it and using shield slam when you should be, 15% generally being too high, aiming for around 8% apart from a few specific situations when AoE tanking
    High number of buffs generated however is a good thing

Yeah, I was reading the wrong line, I average around 8-10% on most fights with some being higher due to specific mechanics, or simply having other priorities on gcd's for a few seconds. You are correct though, the number of procs is far more important.

Deleted
    He needs to get rid of that horrific enchant colossus on his weapon asap
    Been using dancing mostly for the dps increase, but isnt Colussus pretty strong ?
    Works on both melee/magic, wont waste the proc while offtanking/kiting (like avoidance) and is pretty consistent ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    Been using dancing mostly for the dps increase, but isnt Colussus pretty strong ?
    Works on both melee/magic, wont waste the proc while offtanking/kiting (like avoidance) and is pretty consistent ?
    An 8k shield = s, its pretty weak even at the best of times even in 5 man heroics, and it only gets worse as you get up to anything hitting harder, he would even be better off using Windsong both in terms of damage and mitigation from when you get the mastery proc
    It is consistent, but then again so is nasal hair growth

Deleted
    An 8k shield = s, its pretty weak even at the best of times even in 5 man heroics, and it only gets worse as you get up to anything hitting harder, he would even be better off using Windsong both in terms of damage and mitigation from when you get the mastery proc
    It is consistent, but then again so is nasal hair growth
    Was going off theck's blog from a couple months ago, 205 mastery average doesnt seem to hot either tbh.
    And colossus beats it in terms of TDR.

I have to admit tho, all the math in his blogs make me dizzy, i might have misunderstood some parts :P

Deleted
    You're right, Windsong isn't to tempting either. So just stick to Dancing Steel and enjoy the damage increase + little avoidance boost and never look back.

On the sword&board thing: interesting, haven't bothered with the percent uptime before but it's clearly something that can indicate problems with reception (eg: bad ui) and reaction.

Deleted
    Colossus is rubbish and anyone who thinks it is any good whatsoever just loses my respect completely, I do feel rather strongly about this particular enchant, it looks bad on paper and even that is making it look better than it should, an 8k shield will make SO little difference while you are tanking its not even worth mentioning

You can expect over a 7 minute fight around a 400k shield, if you think this is worth getting over a random 1.5k in either crit or mastery with a pretty damn high uptime then be my guest

One thing I've learned by using the openraid website is that there are ALOT of tanks out there that have good gear and no skill. This guy's guild has been carrying him pretty hard. You really should either have him reroll or replace him outright. I would lean towards outright replacement as the logs don't indicate a bad prot warrior as much as they indicate a bad player in general.

After reading this I realize how harsh I came off and I apologize.
    Last edited by mongoose6; 2013-04-05 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Too harsh