Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Can i get banned for using autohotkey like this ?

Hello
    After seeing Kripperians video i was wondering if using Autohotkey can get me banned or not , since kripp was not banned at all for using it.

So i would use the AHK software to do exactly what he did , bind keys that when kept pressed will "spam" a key faster then normal.
    As i will not want to do any illegal actions i really want to know if i were to use this , exactly as Kripp will i get banned or not ?

Deleted
    You can/will get banned for automisation ("botting"), not using a software spamming the very same button a few times in a row.

I do not see how this can be banable. There are keyboards that do the exact same thing.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    As long as it's one action per key it should be fine. I know plenty of people who use their keyboards to create spam keys. Also prevents a lot of wear and tear from button mashing all the damn time lol.

Deleted
    One hardware action = one software key press per client. Mashing a button being held down is more than one software key press.
    Yeah, you'd violate the ToS and/or EULA.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    One hardware action = one software key press per client. Mashing a button being held down is more than one software key press.
    If this is true then there are alot of keyboards that should be ban because many have that capability...

Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    If this is true then there are alot of keyboards that should be ban because many have that capability...
    People have been banned in the past for using such keyboards. It all depends on how you use the functionality, and many many people never get caught. But by Blizzards definition (and the ToS/EULA) they are effectively the same as a botting program.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    There is a difference between having the capability and using it.

Deleted
    You CAN get banned, but i doubt you will.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Using hardware macros via keyboards/mouses to do multiple(more then 1) actions in 1 keypress is considered botting. Same goes for software macros.

Basiscly anything that cannot be reproduced in-game with Blizzard macros with 1 keypress = bannable.

My mouse and keyboard both can do hardware macros and as handy as it may be for games like wow it's not allowed if it doesn't follow the in-game 1 action 1 keypress.

WoW's servers can tell the difference between server/client traffic on keypresses. Even can tell the difference between key being pressed and released.

The global cooldown is there for a reason. And skills that are off GCD are usually have internal cooldowns when used.
    Last edited by Teri; 2013-03-27 at 04:19 PM.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Theres way to many real bots and cheaters that blizz needs to take care of rather than autohotkey users i mean seriously. Many ppl use it to mill or disenchant bulks so i see no problem with that.
    Last edited by Glaziola; 2013-03-27 at 04:18 PM.

A better place to ask this would be on the official forums. There's a chance a blue could see it and give an official answer concerning this.

You won't get a useful answer. I asked tech support about a year ago with a ticket and the response I got was the same as what people posted here. "Anything that doesn't follow the 1 button = 1 action counts as cheating." We know blizzard is aware of programs like autohotkey and ignores people using it (anybody multiboxing for example). On the other hand they'll ban people using it to cheat (for example, to AFK in battlegrounds by wandering in circles). Asking us how they'll react in your particular situation isn't something we can do with any accuracy because we aren't Blizzard, and Blizzard isn't one person. You can imagine one tech support guy who sees you flagged for 'possible cheating' who says "300 keystrokes per second? That's cheating: banned!" and another guy who does a bit more research and sees that you weren't doing any more than 1 action/GCD and lets you slide.

Treat it like jay-walking. There's a good chance you won't get stopped even if a cop notices you but you would be breaking the rules. On the other hand, a cop might notice you doing something else (like carrying a suspicious package) and use your small crime as a chance to nail you for the other one where normally you wouldn't have been noticed. It could also be that they'll be looking for people doing some other crime (like fleeing a robbed bank) and pick you up because you were breaking the rules in the same place other people were. If you're not comfortable with some very small chance that you'd get called out and banned then don't do it.

Deleted
    Note what I said. "One hardware action = one software key press per client". Multiboxing is perfectly fine if you use 3rd party programs to send your "d" keystroke to four windows. Multiboxing is no longer fine if that "d" keystroke is no longer simply a "d" keystroke, but becomes a "d on client A, press c twice on client B, do nothing on client C" type of thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Software macros are considered automation and are actionable if I recall correctly.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would use it personally.
    You can make the argument that 1 keypress=1 action. As long as you're there controlling it you should be fine.
    (use at your own risk though. I couldn't care less about a ban these days)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    this

blizzard has something against this kind of behavior because it would be an unfair advantage in regard to regular users
    and (this depends on what the local wow client and their server handles) dozens or hundreds of spammed keys a second
    probably also flood their server with commands. imagine many users would do this kind of spamming... that would be
    something similar to a ddos attack on a server... and i'm sure blizzard would not like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    Software macros are considered automation and are actionable if I recall correctly.
    First they'd have to catch you, then they'd have to care. The way a Blue explained it one day when someone asked about their G15 keyboard (Which can do all this) is if you're doing it in such a way that you don't respond if we come talk to you (because you've automated aoe grinding and aren't even watching the monitor while you tap a key over and over) then yes you can be banned for it. This was like 4 years or more ago though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could you get banned? Yes. It's automation. Will you? Doubt it, but it's possible.
    Look! Words!

You won't. Tons of people use it not only for WoW but for Diablo. You can macro the same stuff to blizzard mouse devices and how can they ban you for doing something their hardware/software allows.

They're not watching to see how fast people spam a button, look at Asians play Starcraft....