Question Question Regarding Pet Management in Raids

This might seem like a really noobish question, but I'm curious how other hunters manage their pets for raids. For the longest time I've just left them on Assist and had them go at it. This has given me ok results, but as I'm getting better and better gear... I'm trying to find more ways to min/max. Also, I noticed the other day in the raid that even though my pets Rabid is on auto cast, that it was off cooldown and not being used. Its got me paranoid that it doesn't use it as soon as it comes off cooldown now. I'm assuming I should macro that into a shot as well.

What do you guys normally do? Do you keep your pet on passive and macro in /petattack on all of your main abilities? or only certain abilities? What about pet specials? Do you macro those in as well? For large multi target fights like Horridon or even Council, do you leave your pets on a single target and then ignore it?

It seems like Assist is bad to use since you have to deal with all that travel time on some fights, so I'm guessing that Passive/macro is the way to go.

Sorry if this has already been answered, I did my best to search here and on bnet forums, but couldn't find anything definitive.

Passive always.

Pet attack bound, pet follow bound, pet move to bound. All individually, not paired with anything.

/cast Rabid attached in a macro on some frequently used abilities like Arcane.

Rabid has been bugging out on some fights again (like Ultraxion all over again), I think it has something to do with bosses floating in the air (noticed it on Durumu).

I keep a pet on passive just because it's easier to target switch with a passive pet, if you bind /petattack to something you put up on a new target almost immediately (SrS in most cases). This also allows you to keep your pet on the boss while you burn things that die quickly enough to warrant not using SrS (like basilisks on H-Horridon, comes to mind). The latter suggestion is obviously less useful in BM.

Mine is on passive most of the time. With a /petattack macro hotkeyed whenever I want it to attack a target.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Rabid has been bugging out on some fights again (like Ultraxion all over again), I think it has something to do with bosses floating in the air (noticed it on Durumu).

I keep a pet on passive just because it's easier to target switch with a passive pet, if you bind /petattack to something you put up on a new target almost immediately (SrS in most cases). This also allows you to keep your pet on the boss while you burn things that die quickly enough to warrant not using SrS (like basilisks on H-Horridon, comes to mind). The latter suggestion is obviously less useful in BM.
    Actually Durumu is the fight I noticed it on, maybe thats why. It'll be good to macro it in regardless. For the /petattack macro does it matter if its before or after the shot its macro'd with? Is there a benefit to one way or the other?

/petattack
    /cast Arcane Shot

vs.

/cast Arcane Shot
    /petattack

No difference, no. Except if you're using #showtooltip at the top, the first might not show AS? IDK, I usually use the more specific #showtooltip SpellName

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    No difference, no. Except if you're using #showtooltip at the top, the first might not show AS? IDK, I usually use the more specific #showtooltip SpellName
    You're correct on how this would work, either have the 'spell' you want the tooltip for first or explicitly type it.