Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I don't see anywhere in those links that says the 660 Ti is an overclocked 660. I love it when people just link drop and shout "THE SUPPORT FOR MY ARGUMENT IS IN THERE SOMEWHERE".

By the way, you linked to the OEM edition of the 660, not the retail edition that can be bought at the store.

Anandtech's 660 review shows that the 660 Ti is GK104 where as the 660 is GK106. In fact, we see that the 660 Ti is clearly not an OC edition of the 660 as the 660 Ti has lower clocks than the 660. They are different GPUs from different wafers.

Moreover, it doesn't really matter whether one GPU is an OC version of another (even though it isn't in this case). Lower tier GPUs from the same wafer have disabled cores and lower clocks due to voltage leaks. There's only one pair of GPUs in which one is a true OC version of the other: 7970 and 7970 Ghz. Even then, the 7970 Ghz is a higher binned version of the 7970.

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    Comparing the sapphire-x vapor 7950 to a 660ti is stupid, the vapor-x will come ahead in overclocking & performance. They are both in same price-range, so why would he take the 660ti?
    Because not everyone overclocks to the limit and you're paying for the extra performance in electricity?

660ti are voltage locked and bad at overclocking, the 7950 vapor-x will overclock past 680/7970Ghz cards, so why are you so obsessed to make him change his mind?
    Nowhere am I obsessed at making the OP change his mind. The OP noticed that the Anandtech bench notarget linked showed to that the 660 Ti is significantly better and a 660 Ti is ~$10 cheaper. I pointed out that there has been driver optimizations that swing the balance in AMD's favor and linked him TechPowerUp's Catalyst 12.11 benches in which the 7950 pull ahead marginally. I also pointed out to the OP that the two are roughly equivalent at stock and that:

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    The 660 Ti pulls way ahead in SC2. The 7950 pulls ahead in Skyrim and they're about the same in BF3. Overall, their performance is roughly the same at stock. The 7950 overclocks better but consumes more power. The 7950 consumes roughly 50W more at the wall OC compared to the 660 Ti. Note: The Gigabyte 660 Ti has +20W power due to their custom VRM circuitry. Power consumption figures might be important for UK gamers due to high gas/electricity prices.

With a $10 price difference, its up to you to determine whether you care about overclockability, Sapphire vs Asus, the value of $10 and your opinion of the stability of Nvidia vs AMD.
    The OP decided with the new information that he rather go with the 660 Ti.

Then you come along all upset that the OP didn't choose the 7950, your secret crush, and start spreading blasphemy: comparing a factory OC 7950 to a stock 660 Ti, using stock 7950 power consumption figures to bash my power consumption argument and claiming that the 660 Ti is just an overclocked version of the 660.

Also I bet Linustechtips gets paid to publish benchmarks in AMD's favour, you have lost all credibility Yurano.
    I think you're the one who lost all credibility when you started using Youtube video guides as factual information instead of using articles from renown benchmarking sites. It got even worse when you pointed to the 660 OEM specs instead of 660 retail specs.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Oh my god, the 660 Ti is 7% faster than the 7950, you should buy that instead! /sarcasm
    I find it amusing that you bitch out Toffie for linking an OC card after you use an OC card to prove your point here.
    Bolded the most important part that you missed.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    There's not exactly an argument over the power consumption - the disagreement is over performance.
    Take the HIS 7950 Toffie linked with an average 40W increase in load power consumption. If the OP plays 4 hours a day at UK's average $0.15/kWh, it will cost him an additional $8.76 per year in electricity. Take into account the fact that one of these cards is $240 and the 7950 no longer seems like such a great bargain.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-03-29 at 10:12 PM.

Thank you for summing pretty much everything up Yurano. I learnt more about graphic cards then I thought I ever would lol. I was thinking of either getting one of these two cases:

Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Midi Tower

or the cheaper:

NZXT Source 210 Elite Black Midi Tower

At first I did not like these minimalistic designs however they seem best for their price. I have heard people saying though that the Fractal define r4 is not good for air flow? Is this a vital thing or should I not even worry about it? Thank you again for the help everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like you want to have the last say, everyone is getting smarter and it's part of doing a discussion. Theres no reason to get slightly angry Yurano. I know which card will perform better, I know which card I would get if it was my money; he have decided and good for him
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by InfernoXV8 View Post
    Thank you for summing pretty much everything up Yurano. I learnt more about graphic cards then I thought I ever would lol. I was thinking of either getting one of these two cases:

or the cheaper:

At first I did not like these minimalistic designs however they seem best for their price. I have heard people saying though that the Fractal define r4 is not good for air flow? Is this a vital thing or should I not even worry about it? Thank you again for the help everyone.
    If cost isn't an issue then definitely the Fractal case and no I wouldn't worry about thermals one bit.

or the cheaper:

i may be mistaken but i believe the R4 is their airflow case. in any case (see what i did there? :P) "airflow" is just as much of a gimmick as huge heat spreaders on ddr3 memory. any case can have great airflow as long as it has openings for at least one intake, and one exhaust. your airflow is going to be affected more by poor cable management than whatever text a case manufacturer puts on it's shipping boxes.

One final question about graphic cards..

Should I worry about whether the card as SC or an extra 1GB of GDDR5 memory?

I only ask because I was deciding between these:
    EVGA GF GTX 660Ti 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card = £220
    EVGA GF GTX 660Ti SC+ 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card = £250

And I cannot find a benchmark website that compares the two so I am unsure whether paying an extra £30 is worth it.
    Thank you

And then there is this "FTW" card for enthusiasts apparently:
    EVGA NVIDIA GTX 660Ti FTW Signature Edition 2GB DDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card

Which is actually cheaper = £246.50
    Last edited by MayronWoW; 2013-03-30 at 09:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    One final question about graphic cards..

Should I worry about whether the card as SC or an extra 1GB of GDDR5 memory?

I only ask because I was deciding between these:
    EVGA GF GTX 660Ti 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card = £220
    EVGA GF GTX 660Ti SC+ 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card = £250

And I cannot find a benchmark website that compares the two so I am unsure whether paying an extra £30 is worth it.
    Thank you

And then there is this "FTW" card for enthusiasts apparently:
    EVGA NVIDIA GTX 660Ti FTW Signature Edition 2GB DDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card

Which is actually cheaper = £246.50
    The signature 2 is superior in everything, it's cooling is better and performance is clocked higher than any other 660 ti card. I would get that.
    As for the 2gb vs 3gb, depends if you play skyrim to mod or want to play on a higher resolution. If you stick to 1080p then I would not get anything higher.

Fractal Design R4 is an amazing case with great build quality and cable management, the only thing that pulls it down is the thermal performance like I said earlier.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...ne-r4-review/3

But I'm someone who value airflow higher than anything, It's airflow is not bad, it's just OK. For the same price you could get something with better airflow. Depends on what you value in a case. It's very quiet also.
    Last edited by Toffie; 2013-03-30 at 09:56 AM.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Okay thanks for that. I do not think the thermal performance of the R4 should be much of a problem... I hope. So I will go with that case as I would really like a quiet PC especially since this case offers mostly everything I want.

Shame there is no benchmark website to compare that signature 2 performance compared with other 660Ti's and other AMD's etc but I'm sure it will be great. Thank you for helping me decide. I think that is everything sorted for my new build I will update the List on post 1!

EDIT: I will have to go with the NZXT Source 210 Elite Black Midi because of my budget sadly. Hope it won't be a drastic downgrade lol. Don't think it will be much of an issue but maybe one day I can get the R4
    Last edited by MayronWoW; 2013-03-30 at 11:11 AM.