View Poll Results: How would you compare Throne of Thunder compared to Ulduar?

Voters
424. This poll is closed
  • better than Ulduar

87 20.52%
  • comparable to Ulduar

174 41.04%
  • a little worse than Ulduar

116 27.36%
  • a lot worse than Ulduar

47 11.08%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't say yet; we're still working on Council (like every other casual raid in the universe).

I like ToT so far, although I think the tuning is a little too brutal on normal, particularly the ramp up between Jin'rohk and Horridon. But the general design seems cool, and I like big expansive raids. The bosses are neat and judging from LFR have many unique mechanics. Overall, it feels like Blizzard put a lot of effort into it and I'm please on that level.

Ulduar isn't my #1 but it's in my top 5. If ToT keeps up the pace -- and if we actually are able to even clear it at this pace -- it will probably rank pretty high. I couldn't say which would be higher, though.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to revise my ranking now that I've experienced all 12 bosses on 25 man for ToT. I think I'm actually enjoying ToT a bit more than Ulduar. It's a little hard to compare as I was in a completely different guild raiding back then, but the raid really seems to be well thought out both in boss design and appearance. There are some trash packs I could do without (bridge trash), but Ulduar had that too (pre-nerf Ignis trash or Vezax trash). I experienced both from a 25 man perspective and I've only just started heroic ToT, but I think they did a great job with the raid.

Deleted
    Liked that Ulduar had more choice + (the "little girl" robot guarding the door was hilaruous ) And imo Ulduar had some fun tactics on bosses, ToT is superboring for tanks until last boss..

E: Tziva, were casual and after the nerfs every boss are totally doable with like 500avg ilvl raid (Lei Shen is all about doing it right, not gear). Your raid just needs to not cover behind the casual badgee and step up the game a bit
    Last edited by mmoc7f4ca4fed4; 2013-04-03 at 02:45 AM.

Too early to say. Not even half complete at the moment, but so far I like the fights, parts of the environment are very cool, but lore-wise there isn't much too it, and none of the voice acting for the bosses really stands out as something special so far. It's solid, but for now it wouldn't rank that high in my list:

ICC
    Ulduar
    Firelands
    Karazhan
    Sunwell
    Blackwing Descent
    Heart of Fear
    ToT

Room to move either way, we'll see...

I still don't get why people hold up Ulduar on some huge pedestal. It was fine, but it wasn't OMG ZHE BEZT RAID EVAR. It wasn't perfect. But I'm guessing it was loads of people's first raid or something, so they now look back on it with rosy glasses.

Anyway, I enjoy ToT. Or I would, if I had a halfway decent guild for it.

I always find it amusing how every new raid needs to be compared to Ulduar. It's really not as amazing as everyone thinks; it's very good, don't get me wrong, but it's become this revered raid, only talked about in breathless, excited whispers. I personally think T14 is better than Ulduar, and T15 is shaping up to be even better than that. So y'know.

It is on the same level as Ulduar. A lot of what people think is the best raid is coming from nostalgia from having their first raids. I know I enjoyed ZG and MC when I first started raiding, and really liked seeing Kael'thas shatter his room in The Eye, but just because I saw some awesome things doesn't make them better.

I would go more into how a lot of people are wrong with "Hard modes made you do interesting things" and "You did them during the fight", but that would be incredibly dumb of me to do that.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

My favorite is karazhan then ulduar, so far I think ToT got good mechanics and it's not all about nuking the shit out of something for profit. I'm totally enjoying raids now atleast.

I've only seen the first half through LFR so far, but from what I've seen I wouldn't rate it up there with Ulduar. It's good, and there's some pretty neat stuff, but the aesthetic is nowhere near as varied and interesting as Ulduar's.
    The linearity and wonky pacing with some of the trash bothers me a bit as well. I'd say ToT is probably on the tier below Karazhan/Ulduar for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    but just because I saw some awesome things doesn't make them better.
    actually it does

The fights in ToT are interesting but I can't escape the feeling that most of the instance is just the remnants of the discarded Zul'drak raid that Blizzard has pulled out the gutter. It's visuals and layout just aren't very interesting.

Most of the bosses made me shrug even though they are some of Blizzards best to date.

Fact of the matter is that with all their money and resources Blizzard are still failing to deliver original, interesting and cohesive raids in a consistent manner. It's really quite pathetic that they haven't been able to top Karazhan and Ulduar in two expansions even though their boss design has improved greatly.

It is obvious that Blizzard just rushes out most of the tiers and don't have time to make something special.

Take ICC for example - they couldn't even be bothered putting an epic staircase up to the Lich king or make any sort of interesting use of space in the design of the instance. Why couldn't someone design an interesting winding tower akin to Kharazan? ToT, the so called "Ulduar" of MoP is just a single corridor.
    Last edited by mmoc4dd7e3fc9a; 2014-09-18 at 10:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We didn't need to dredge up a thread whose last post was in April 2013.

Closing.