Help with Horridon

We are currently working on Horridon. We finally made it through all four doors last night, but it seems we are making too many mistakes. I have included the logs. Best attempt was #6. Our warlock was dead during most of the 4th door on that attempt. One of our Shadow Priests is a third healer for the fight. We are working to get better and any suggestions for any class would be appreciated. We have cleared all the t14 on normal. Our group make-up and ilvl is warrior tank(505), Pally tank(495), SP(505), Mage(507), Hunter(503), Disc Priest(499), Druid Healer(497), Feral Druid(503), and SP/DP (497). I am confident gear is not the problem. Thanks for the help.

worldoflogs.com/reports/i76imiz37gpg812y/

Deleted
    We go with 3 Healers, 2 Tanks, 5 DPS, Composition doesnt really matter.

On each gate, just focus fire the Adds, Mark one Elite Add so your DPS can focus it, once the Dinomancer spawn, nuke it down and close the gate.
    Rince and repeat for every gate.

1st Gate= Kill adds, Dispell Magic, move from Sandtrap
    2nd Gate= Kill adds, dispell poison
    3rd Gate= kill adds, dispell disease, pop BL
    4th Gate= Kill adds

After this, just kill the boss. Once War God spawns, use CDs to bring him down, then finish off Horridon.

PS - I wrote a longer post, but it didnt get posted somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenroul View Post
    It seems we are making too many mistakes.
    If you have random people dieing, this is the problem, most likely not your tactic. The short description of the fight in Blablar's post above me is spot on. More specifically:

- Don't do anything stupid on the first door (doesn't really matter what your dps nukes, just don't die...)
    - Make sure your dps nukes down the venom priests @ the second door (prio these over the dinomancer)... INTERRUPT THE PRIESTS!!
    - Make sure your dps nukes down the warlords @ the third door, kill dinomancer when it spawns
    - Make sure your dps nukes down the bears AND shamans @ the fourth door, kill dinomancer when it spawns.

We swap the tanks at the start of every new door, and when the warlord spawns in the last phase. That's the entire tactic.

If you're people are dying, then I can only see two reasons for that:

- People are too slow to move out of frost orbs/sand puddles, or are bad at cleansing/interrupting. There's no 'easy' solution for this other than your raiders learning to play
    - Your tanks are too slow at picking mobs up resulting in them mauling people to death... again, a l2play issue.

Deleted
    Hi, i just had a short glance at your log. The heal of your off spec SP is mostly the problem. There are no "right in the face" mistakes by the raid. (Standing in the sand traps a second to long here and there, few orbs hitting ppl at 3rd door. but what killed you in the end is the "easy phase", where the addboss comes in place.
    First obviouse solution is to get your 3rd helaer up to the game. You will have no possible chance later in the instance without a good 3rd heal. (Council can be 2 healed, but there is no need for that after the nerf), but tortos and mageara would be another roadblock for you guys in this situation.
    Anyway a tip: on the last phase, stack on a side of the dino, tank the war god jalak on the group. Once he's dead just focus the dino. When targeted by charge, the selected player runs to the currently dinotanking tank, so the raid does not have to move at all.

We struggled for a while on this boss as well, but with proper execution it's really not all that bad.

Our group comp:
    Prot Pala
    Guard Druid

Disc Priest
    Resto Shammy x2

S.priest
    Enh Shammy
    Frost DK
    Destro 'lock
    Balance Druid

For the first two doors, the "special" mob that jumps down from the stands is the dangerous one. To make this enounter much, much easier, you need to be able to get the first "special" add down before the next set of 2 jump down, then get one of those two down before the dinomancer. I'm sorry I don't remember their names, but you get the jist. After the dino is at half way, kill the last big mob while closing the door, clean up the small adds, then move on. As a previous poster added, assign interrupts to the priests. Also, the Venemous Effusions that spawn from the poison puddles also apply the same stacking dot. These adds have very little health, so assign one person to focus them whenever they spawn. Again, they can be interrupted.

For the third door, the small adds that come out of the door put a stacking dot on people, and they have no aggro table. We used AoE slows (earthbind in our case, but anything will work), and prioritize them over the larger adds. We pop hero here. Keep up with them, dino --> 50%, close door. The tank takes the big frost guys away from the raid, and they go down while the door is closing and on the way to the next door.

On the last door, we again focused the small adds first, specifically the flamecasters (also interrupt). We found it very helpful to not knock any Shaman off their mounts until the door was closed and things were under control. By the time the dino is dead, all the warbears are <20% HP, kill one at a time focusing the Shaman that spawns before killing the next. These Shaman can be very dangerous, because their totem hits like a truck.

We got this kill on the very first pull where we cleaned up all of the doors on schedule. The last phase is a piece of cake compared to all of the adds. Just nuke the warlord, using heal CD's if necessary. Once the big guy is dead, it's basically a kill.

Good luck!

I see your dps is giving in to the temptation to fight the big dinosaur instead of the little trolls. How much trouble is Charge + Double Swipe giving your group?

What helped us overcome this and focus on the doors was to take the dinosaur out of the equation entirely. At the beginning of the fight, just before the first door opens I take the dino clear over to the Drakkari door, and bring a healer with me. The other 8 raiders go to the Farraki door and deal with the stuff there. But the dino is far enough away so that he only ever hits me or my pocket healer with Charge or Double Swipe, aside from right after he runs off to a door. Charge has a 100 yard range.

Once the first door is down, the main raid moves on to the Gurubashi door and I clear my stacks and drag the dino to the Amani door. And so on around the room. I have a priest healer for doors 1, 2, and 4 and the shaman comes to help me at door 3, since she doesn't have anything to help with diseases.

We save bloodlust for when Jalak comes out, since the first few times we were skating close to berzerk.

This method changes the first part of the fight from a chaotic confusing mess into a much more managable encounter. My part of the fight is somewhat boring, to tell the truth. But it works, and it lets me sit serenely still and practice my rotations without having to worry about sandtraps or cleansing poisons or diseases.

In my group's last kill, 88.4% of my damage taken was from Horridon, 11.6% from Jalak. Your paladin had only 50.3% of her damage taken from Horridon. She also took significant damage from Frozen Warlords and Wastewalkers. I submit that this damage probably made her health spike and made the healers cry, especially since she's not as well geared as your other tank.

If she's off on the other side of the arena away from the need to dodge sand traps it's much easier to focus on having a Shield of the Righteous up for every single Triple Puncture. And it's much better when she's not stealing aggro away from the other tank.
    Last edited by Ninotchka; 2013-03-28 at 05:56 PM.

That sounds interesting, Nino. Are you a Prot Pala and that's how you are dropping stacks?, or are you able to outrange and kite 'till they drop off?

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it interesting that everyone is suggesting 3 healing. In my raid as well as a raid I pug occasionally on my alt Priest (which this happened to first) we started with 3 healers, but found that since everything died quicker and had extra intterupts etc, the fight was easier and less mana costly with 2 heals. Just an idea to toss around in raid especially if your spriest is a GOOD spriest and just an OK healer.

We started keeping Horridon away from the door and more to the center of the room. His side is facing the door. When someone is targeted for charge, they just run to the head or the tail. 90% of the time this is working great and Horridon doesn't move. Occasionally, someone is slow, but it is not causing any deaths or damage.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 02:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by royals View Post
    I find it interesting that everyone is suggesting 3 healing. In my raid as well as a raid I pug occasionally on my alt Priest (which this happened to first) we started with 3 healers, but found that since everything died quicker and had extra intterupts etc, the fight was easier and less mana costly with 2 heals. Just an idea to toss around in raid especially if your spriest is a GOOD spriest and just an OK healer.
    Our SP/DP is good dps. Though, our thought was that with other three healing fights coming up, it was better for him to master his offspec now. Someone mentioned today that it might be a problem having two priests being disc because of the weakenend souls debuff. Would it better for him to spec Holy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenroul View Post
    We started keeping Horridon away from the door and more to the center of the room. His side is facing the door. When someone is targeted for charge, they just run to the head or the tail. 90% of the time this is working great and Horridon doesn't move. Occasionally, someone is slow, but it is not causing any deaths or damage.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 02:00 PM ----------

Our SP/DP is good dps. Though, our thought was that with other three healing fights coming up, it was better for him to master his offspec now. Someone mentioned today that it might be a problem having two priests being disc because of the weakenend souls debuff. Would it better for him to spec Holy?
    That is just going to depend on his skill level and how the two priests work together.. I think having 2 disc is annoying in a 10m. But, when used right very powerful. Heck, look at Paragons kills, they used 2 discs. (I'm sure they were mostly smiting their brains out and letting the pally carry the heals load). Divine hymn would be sweet for you guys during the last phase when Horridon calls down his troll friend after an aoe pulse (he would have to be holy)... but I wouldn't have this guy swap around a bunch, have him one heals spec or he will never be great at any of them.

I still contend that 2 healing will be better for your raid progress, have him l2 heal better on council, I found that a less demanding fight mechanically.

Sorry it took a while to respond. Yes, I'm dropping stacks as a prot paladin. If you don't have a paladin you can still use this method, just swap the boss when he charges the door.

The real advantage of this strategy is that nobody has to move for the boss swipes except the two people on the away team. This is already a movement-heavy fight, so anyone who has a lot of stand-still-and-cast abilities will love you for this strategy. I think our mage gained 20k when we started doing this.

Deleted
    The way we did it was popping BL at the 3rd door, either on the 1st one or the 2nd two of the Warlords.
    We basically nuked the stonegazers at the first door the second they come in. 2nd door Venom priests, we had 2 ppl marking them and interrupting them, so that no efussions could spawn. 3rd door BL. 4th door interrupt flamecasters and just nuke the bears. If dps is no problem Horridon should be a kill after the 4th door.

Your atonement priest is doing it wrong...I play atonement on that fight in our 10 man and I pull 70k dps and 45k hps.

First, make sure he is glyphed to cast penance on the move.

Basically he wants to be casting penance on CD, power word solace on CD and smiting in between. Your try #6 only has him casting penance a few times....and way to many flash heals. His only job on this fight is to DPS horridon and use that for healing. The reason is that horridon takes 50% more damage every time he crashes into a gate. I literally do nothing but penance/smite/solace horridon the entire time for healing.

Make sure he is using a rapture proc tracker and doing this on CD to keep mana up.

Other tips:

For first gate, have 1 priest do a mass dispel for blazing sunlight, since you have 2 priests they can take turns, it's usually cast on the melee/group and 1 mass hits everyone.

Priests can alternate popping spirit shell and POH the raid for stacks of poison on 2nd gate.

Since you have 2 discs, have them each take a tank for power word shield/rapture proc's. Have them communicate when they are going to use hymn of hope. You might be able to have both of the atonement heal after first gate when horridon is taking 50% more damage. If not, have one focus tank, have the druid keep hots rolling and have the 3rd priest focus on horridon via atonement healing.

Make sure priests are dispelling the disease on 3rd gate.

Pound it into your DPS heads that the high threat targets are always the ones that Jump down and need to be killed first (other then dinomancer).

Here is a video from 2 weeks ago, this PoV is me on my disc priest, doing nothing but atonement healing. Have your priests watch that and notice how I focus 95% of the time on horridon.

Video: youtu.be/YmehOdgD1Mk

logs: worldoflogs.com/reports/4z1mstbh5znfd58v/dashboard/?s=2561&e=3254

Quote Originally Posted by Crazily View Post
    Altho you did better than the priest in the OP's raid your healing isn't really a great example. Power infusion used once in almost 12 minutes. I also don't see your cascade / w/e talent used (tho its late and I may be missing it)

Make sure you have everyone who can dispel as much as they can. DPS, tank, healer, doesn't matter. It will help your healers a LOT and you could then switch to 2 healer, which is what my guild did (1 and a half healer actually, Disc priest atonement most of the fight, used shields for dire call).

Lust is not needed on the 3rd gate either if you ensure that all of your dps have their CDs up at that point (and they will if they use them on the wastewalkers). Make sure to have ranged interrupts for the casters on the 4th gate to help grouping.

Thanks for all the help. Last night was our first attempts since all the great advice. We killed him.

Oh, excellent! What do you think made the difference for your group?

Our healer practiced atonement from post #13. His healing jumped from nearly 14% to 30%. Also, our warlock(with advice from a post on the warlock forums) increased her dps dramatically. We started marking the first priest who dropped so he could be burned before the next two spawned(big help). Still had to avoid dumb mistakes and it wasn't perfect, but he is dead. Time for council tonight.