Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

About 1 Milllion Players are playing D3 on a daily basis.

The article is at :

http://www.gamespot.com/events/gdc-2...ml?sid=6406151

Its a JW interview and he states that according to D3 logs the game has 1M players playing daily and 3M unique per month. Also +12M copies were sold but this we already know.

I have seen so many topics claiming D3 is dead and whatever and also many other people defending the game and claiming the game is still healthy.

1 year after release and +12M copies sold at least 1M are playing daily and 3M unique players log in each month ... where exactly did Diablo 3 failed ?

10+ Year Old Account
    The numbers don't mean much when the devs admit the game didn't come remotely close to expectations.

But, really, those numbers are skewed anyway. What exactly does "every day" mean? Someone who skips a day every now and then doesn't fall under that list? I'm sure there's a lot more people playing regularly. Regularly doesn't have to mean every single day.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm.

12 million copies sold... and guess how many of those people wanted to return the game for a refund? A lot. Back within the first couple months, there were so many folks on here saying they wanted to return the game (and some actually pulled it off) that that should say something.

3 million unique playing in a month? Okay, and how many of those are really just multi-botters? Yes, they do exist.

1 million a day, wow... a whole million!

Now, I've been playing and enjoying Diablo 3, but I am not blind to the fact it really is not what people expected and obviously doesn't even come up to what D2 was (from what I've heard).

Frankly, a lot of online games tend to do this thing called growing if they are indeed truly successful, not only has D3 not grown, nor just lost players, it's lost a crap ton of players. How can you look at numbers of 1 mil and 3 mil in comparison to the 12 million copies sold and say that these numbers of active players are successful?

I'm not saying that Diablo 3 is the biggest failure ever, but only 3 million people playing a month, and we're hoping that is separating computers and not just accounts... that's really really low. 1/4 a month and 1/12 daily... ouch.

Meanwhile, look at WoW. I know they are two distinctly different game styles, but still, WoW even requires a subscription and it's better off, not to mention being older, a lot older.

1-3 million is a decent amount of people, sure, but real success would be at least 60%~ of your initial purchasers still playing a year later.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2013-03-29 at 08:43 PM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Diablo 3 Director Jay Wilson: Auction Houses 'really hurt' the game

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/28/di...lly-hurt-game/

A more drastically version about the auction house topic. ^^

i would be shocked to find out that those numbers are accurate.

Bots mostly I guess...

My friends 5 bots that run 24/7 are part of that 1M...
    Other friends dont play or bot aswell, but dont know bout their amounts of "real playing".
    Last edited by Rapti; 2013-03-29 at 07:41 AM.

Deleted
    You ask how can diablo fail when it has over 1m players ,,, when there are haters and trolls saying that WoW died and failed with almost 10m ?

Hint : I gave you the answer in my question .

So only ~8% of people who bought the game are still playing it?

Am i supposed to be impressed?
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Deleted
    Jay Wilson, who fucking cares; guy's a wanker. Those numbers are probably full of shit. How many of those logins are botters/farmers making money from the AH? I seriously doubt it's 1mill legit players who are really enjoying the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    i would be shocked to find out that those numbers are accurate.
    I would not. Knowing that at least 1/4 of active "players" connexions are from botters / multiboxer 5+ accounts playing for $$ and not for the game itself. I guess the accurate number is around 200/300k. Seems more accurate imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post

Am i supposed to be impressed?
    Almost 11 months after release? For a game that doesn't collect subscription fees to sustain frequent content updates?

Yeah, I'd say that's pretty impressive. Most games that I pay $60 for I play through in about a week and never touch again.
    Chiqaboom / Proudmoore-US

Quote Originally Posted by Chiquihuite View Post
    Almost 11 months after release? For a game that doesn't collect subscription fees to sustain frequent content updates?

Yeah, I'd say that's pretty impressive. Most games that I pay $60 for I play through in about a week and never touch again.
    Maybe if this was a single-shot game you play through once for the story I would agree with you.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Deleted
    Less than a quarter of the total actually bought the game, The bulk of D£ was given away with the WoW annual pass. If they got rid of the real money AH it would most like improve drastically.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    Less than a quarter of the total actually bought the game, The bulk of D£ was given away with the WoW annual pass. If they got rid of the real money AH it would most like improve drastically.
    Not the bulk. AP numbers were between 1 and 2 million. It's a good bit of the 12mill figure they like to throw around, but at least 10 of those were actual purchases. Of course because of the draw of real cash, AH botters and farmers are also part of that number so the amount of people who bought it to actually *play* is far lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Letsbefair View Post
    ... snip ... where exactly did Diablo 3 failed ?
    In being fun? Financially I am sure they are doing fine, after all they sold 12M copies on the coattails of previous diablo games.

However, how many of those players are just playing the AH, how many are playing it like a job, and how many are really having fun.
    Everyone has a different definition for failure/success. For me games are about fun. If I game has a contest for a chance at winning a PC for players with more than 100 hours, I might be tempted to crank out the hours for a chance to win, but that doesn't mean I had fun doing so. The RMAH brings real world rewards into the game, and gives an incentive to play the game even if it isn't fun. Which would be fine if the game was fun, but to make the RMAH/AH work they had to break loot which was the very core of the game. Getting loot should be fun, even FTL Jay understands this is where the game failed and said so in a recent interview. Failing to have good graphics in an RPG game that isn't about graphics wouldn't be a game killer(just an arbitrary example here), however loot be a failure in a game that is purely about loot IS a game killer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiquihuite View Post

I don't know man, I know a lot of people that still play Skyrim. And this game has been seeing consistent updates, whether it be new content or game balance.

There's still a lot of work to be done, but I expect the bulk of it to be fixed for the expansion. I'm willing to bet that when that hits, there will be more people playing regularly.

In being fun? Financially I am sure they are doing fine, after all they sold 12M copies on the coattails of previous diablo games.
    I have to agree here, they sold 12 million copies so they made there cash so if you want the
    where exactly did Diablo 3 failed ?
    well on profit it did not.

If you want to go on what is a sequel to one off the most loved games of all time in terms of what diablo gamers really wanted,well its a pile of shit to be fair.

can anyone really say that they didn't get their money's worth with D3 though?

Sure i don't play D3 right now, But i have about 200-250 hours played across my characters.

I finished Dishonored in 6 hours yet nobody complains.
    Gamers are too obsessed with the death of games. Imagine if all that energy was channeled into the LIFE of games.

I admit that the start of D3 wasn't what people expected, but two things you have to keep in mind: 1. the game has improved drastically (although it kinda feels a bit easy these days, but that can be changed with higher MPs)
    2. a lot of the people who bought D3 never played D1 or 2. those are SC/WoW players that thought something like "oh nice a new blizz game" and then didn't enjoy the hack and slay gameplay.

D3 is different than D2 and that was the right move by blizz, personally i'd have been disappointed if D3 was just D2,5.

Personally I'm enjoying D3 and with every patch the game becomes better and better and i believe once the expansion pack hits a lot of people will think the same.