Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linzo View Post
    can anyone really say that they didn't get their money's worth with D3 though?

Sure i don't play D3 right now, But i have about 200-250 hours played across my characters.

I finished Dishonored in 6 hours yet nobody complains.
    i can, i drop 15 hours in the game, i was hopping for the fun to pick up, but i found it excessively repetitive. Of course, this is totally subjective, i don't like the game, didn't have fun but bite to the hype being almost always satisfied with blizzard product thus far.

as a comparison, i drop 40 hours in dishonored that i bought for 13€ on Halloween sales.

To me (again, subjective), i compare diablo 3 to michael bay movie, last in date is transformers 3. Mostly negative review, yet the 2 highest grossing movie of 2011 and 5th highest grossing movie of all time. Huge financial success.

It just feels that, in movie and in game, we like to see brainded, empty product, with lots of polish, fast pace action and explosion everywhere.

Sad thing, i went to see transformers 3, didn't like it, but they got my money anyway
    I want a refund!

Deleted
    Im not going to deny Diablo 3 should have been so much better but that number is quite impressive for a game that's been out for almost 1 year.

I paid £40 for the game and got 600+ hours of entertainment and made £90 in profit via the RMAH. Maybe the game didn't have the longevity people were expecting but it's hard to complain when you look at the figures.

I see awesome games like Bioshock Infinite (love this game it's not a criticism) getting average scores of 9.5/10 and while I love the game I still wont get the sort of value and entertainment I did in those hours I played Diablo 3. People need to take it for what it is, they either got it free via WoW's 12 month deal or paid £40 for it and im sure even if you played through the game 2-3 times then you will find it hard to say it wasn't worth the box price.

That quote should get fixed to: one million players used to play D3 on a daily basis. I am sorry, but after all this time the terminal flaws the game has are more than apparent. Here's a slight (microscopic) hope that they might fix it with an expansion (remove RMAH, add a new variety of skills / items / AND WIDER, MORE VARIED, RANDOMIZED FUCKING LOCATIONS... how fucking hard can that be in 2013, 12 fucking years after Lord of Destruction came out... for fuck's sake).

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonshardz View Post
    That quote should get fixed to: one million players used to play D3 on a daily basis. I am sorry, but after all this time the terminal flaws the game has are more than apparent. Here's a slight (microscopic) hope that they might fix it with an expansion (remove RMAH, add a new variety of skills / items / AND WIDER, MORE VARIED, RANDOMIZED FUCKING LOCATIONS... how fucking hard can that be in 2013, 12 fucking years after Lord of Destruction came out... for fuck's sake).
    How can it be fixed to say that? Blizzard has the numbers, you don't

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Maybe if this was a single-shot game you play through once for the story I would agree with you.
    For a lot of people, it is. Diablo 3 isn't an MMO that's supposed to last years and years, it's a single-story game. If Diablo 3 lasted you more than 50 hours, that's above average in todays games.

As someone mentioned, Dishonored took 6 hours to playthrough. How much did you pay for that?
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    "playing"...

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    How can it be fixed to say that? Blizzard has the numbers, you don't
    They can also say the game is better than D2. Also, that people love the RMAH and it is a huge success. It's called PR. Damage control. They know they fucked up. This is them trying to "mend" all that negative publicity with the game every since it came out. I doubt it is going to help though.

I actually re installed the game this week for shits and giggles to finish the rest of Act 3 on Inferno, I never died once >.>. The only thing the game had going for it was how difficult it was at the start now its a walk in the park.

Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    As someone mentioned, Dishonored took 6 hours to playthrough. How much did you pay for that?
    The problem with that comparison is that Dishonored is a narrative you play through once; then you're done. You've experienced the whole game.

Diablo doesn't even START until you've completed it 4 - FOUR - times! I finished the easy mode in less than 6 hours; if you only play it once as a "story" type game, it's not worth $10.

Stop making stupid comparisons.

D3 is an item-farming monster grinder. The whole POINT of it is to get to max level, build a character then grind monsters for the best gear you can get. All of the hours preceding that don't matter because the journey is irrelevant after the first playthrough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Hmm.

12 million copies sold... and guess how many of those people wanted to return? A lot. Back within the first couple months, there were so many folks on here saying they wanted to return the game (and some actually pulled it off) that that should say something.

3 million unique playing in a month? Okay, and how many of those are really just multi-botters? Yes, they do exist.

1 million a day, wow... a whole million!

Now, I've been playing and enjoying Diablo 3, but I am not blind to the fact it really is not what people expected and obviously doesn't even come up to what D2 was (from what I've heard).

Frankly, a lot of online games tend to do this thing called growing if they are indeed truly successful, not only has D3 not grown, nor just lost players, it's lost a crap ton of players. How can you look at numbers of 1 mil and 3 mil in comparison to the 12 million copies sold and say that these numbers of active players are successful?

I'm not saying that Diablo 3 is the biggest failure ever, but only 3 million people playing a month, and we're hoping that is separating computers and not just accounts... that's really really low. 1/4 a month and 1/12 daily... ouch.

Meanwhile, look at WoW. I know they are two distinctly different game styles, but still, WoW even requires a subscription and it's better off, not to mention being older, a lot older.

1-3 million is a decent amount of people, sure, but real success would be at least 60%~ of your initial purchasers still playing a year later.
    Oh dear, someone else applying the MMO mindset to Diablo 3.

1) A million players per day is a success no matter which way you want to look at it.

2) Comparing total sales to the amount of people playing every day is fail. Did you expect that everyone who bought the game would continue to play it every single day, indefinitely? People buy games, complete them, and move on. The remainder who play long term are the minority.

3) Comparing a hack and slash game to an MMORPG? lol

This thread shows how pig-headed and ruthless a large portion of the gaming community is. D3 must have absolutely destroyed their lives based on their reactions even so long after release.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    So only ~8% of people who bought the game are still playing it?

Am i supposed to be impressed?
    So ~8% of the people STILL play it on a daily basis, despite the fact it "failed"?

Yes you are supposed to be impressed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    The problem with that comparison is that Dishonored is a narrative you play through once; then you're done. You've experienced the whole game.

Diablo doesn't even START until you've completed it 4 - FOUR - times! I finished the easy mode in less than 6 hours; if you only play it once as a "story" type game, it's not worth $10.

Stop making stupid comparisons.

D3 is an item-farming monster grinder. The whole POINT of it is to get to max level, build a character then grind monsters for the best gear you can get. All of the hours preceding that don't matter because the journey is irrelevant after the first playthrough.
    The point is how long did the game last you versus how much you payed for it. If a $60 game lasts you 50 hours, that's damn good.

The whole point of the game may be to get to max level, build a character and the grind for gear for you. Not everybody plays the game the same way.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by Myrlae View Post
    I admit that the start of D3 wasn't what people expected, but two things you have to keep in mind: 1. the game has improved drastically (although it kinda feels a bit easy these days, but that can be changed with higher MPs)
    2. a lot of the people who bought D3 never played D1 or 2. those are SC/WoW players that thought something like "oh nice a new blizz game" and then didn't enjoy the hack and slay gameplay.

D3 is different than D2 and that was the right move by blizz, personally i'd have been disappointed if D3 was just D2,5.

Personally I'm enjoying D3 and with every patch the game becomes better and better and i believe once the expansion pack hits a lot of people will think the same.
    I agree. People were expecting D3 to be some amazing thing. I'm pretty sure they were mostly basing their expectations from nostalgia of playing D2 back in the day. I'm willing to bet that when D2 was hot shit though that there weren't many other games like it out. With all of the high quality mmo's and games that are out there nowadays a game like D3 just can't live up to peoples expectations. I'm sure it would have been better off if there hadn't been an auction house but there's no use in arguing over it because it's done now and there's no going back.

I dont doubt the numbers at all. I still know a ton of people that log in and play regularly, its not everyday but at least a couple of times a week. With the changes over the last 6 months or so it is actually a pretty good game overall.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will actually begin to play again today.

I know it will feel good for a while, and maybe I`ll meet new nice people, like I did last time I was back to D3.

It`s a decent game that is constantly getting better and it just make me feel good playing it from time to time. So yea, thx blizz for making this drug that can make me forget RL for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    How can you look at numbers of 1 mil and 3 mil in comparison to the 12 million copies sold and say that these numbers of active players are successful?
    Well, I can say for a fact that I bought it, played through on normal and halfway through Nightmare, was satisfied with the story and fights that I had now completed once, and went on to other games that released around then. Never planned to go all the way to inferno or anything, just to see the story and have some fun with it. I did, and I'll be back when they release an expansion. Maybe if there's not much else being released at the time I'll finish my nightmare playthrough.

Now, one way you could say that those numbers are a success is that 3/4 of the people who bought Diablo III did so with the intention of playing it like a normal game and then moving on, and that Blizzard was aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    The point is how long did the game last you versus how much you payed for it. If a $60 game lasts you 50 hours, that's damn good.

The whole point of the game may be to get to max level, build a character and the grind for gear for you. Not everybody plays the game the same way.
    so is how long you played a game vs how much you payed for it the only thing that determines if you enjoyed the game?

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was a good game, I mean I played it to death, and beat the story mode 5 times. Honestly, I wouldn't have put that much time into it if it wasn't at least "Good". However, I haven't played the game since last summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    The numbers don't mean much when the devs admit the game didn't come remotely close to expectations.

But, really, those numbers are skewed anyway. What exactly does "every day" mean? Someone who skips a day every now and then doesn't fall under that list? I'm sure there's a lot more people playing regularly. Regularly doesn't have to mean every single day.
    dont forget a huge number of those are bots and farmers.