Poll: Did you enjoy fighting Kanrethad?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Kanrethad Ebonlocke: Love or Hate?

I'm genuinely curious what the consensus is among those who've fought him. Yea or Nay rather than the whole "Elites" vs "Casuals" prestige debate cause ugh. Just... was it fun?

Do you look forward to fighting him again on an alt? Or are you happy to never see that guy ever again?

Poll incoming!

"There is a thin, semantic line separating weird and beautiful. And that line is covered in jellyfish." - Welcome to Night Vale.

Had loads of fun doing it. Looking forward to doing it on my GF's casual Warlock when she gets a book of her own.

Best solo fight I've done in the game. I hope they expand on the idea of epic solo instances.

Fighting it back in low level gear got me very frustrated at times. That being said, I knew that once I beat it, I would look back on it and think that it was an awesome experience. Current me agrees with Past me. THE FIGHT WAS AWESOME!

I just wish they scaled all gear to a certain ilevel for it so that everyone is/was/will be on even footing for it. A true test of skillz

It's great but it's not perfect, the Imps destroy the FPS on not very good machines like on mine so it would have been better if it were half the imps with more HP/Damage and your gear should take no durability loss on fights like this, especially because all you get is green fire not some shiny epics or even a green felsteed.
    Overall the fight is well done but it's failing at the same time as the only hard part is getting the Felhunters down fast enough, everything else in this fight is not very hard once you simply go out and Soulshatter/Gateway the whole thing.

Loved it, took a bunch of trys to get done but i think it was greatly done. The fight itself is all about mechanics and dps is a non issue if you know what to do.

I also loved the lore, my favorite part being "...If I fail...., I need you to banish me forever..."
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Does anyone know if you leave the instance whether or not the place will reset? I had a bad time fighting him and had to go repair I have not gone back yet :/

(I think you can guess my opinion of him)
    Last edited by Poutinecrazed; 2013-03-29 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zehir View Post
    Does anyone know if you leave the instance whether or not the place will reset? I had a bad time fighting him and had to go repair I have not gone back yet :/
    when you zone back in you start on the final stage of the scenario. it ports you to the summit where you fight.

507, still havent beaten him.
    Think I've gotten to the second doomguard phase at least 12 times.
    Usually die on first or 2nd felhound phase.

I LOVED seeing the imp shout "MORE DOTS !!! MORE DOTS !!! Ok stop dots...."

Quote Originally Posted by Hijiri View Post
    507, still havent beaten him.
    Think I've gotten to the second doomguard phase at least 12 times.
    Usually die on first or 2nd felhound phase.
    Take the Talent "Unbound Will" place Soulshatter/Unbound Will inside a macro or use them both at the same time.
    Place your Pit lord behind a pillar, put RoF down at portal and use Soulshatter(+Unbound Will in case you still have debuffs) when Felhunters spawn, profit! Kanrethad will run to your Pit Lord, will not put debuffs on you and will not cast Chaos Bolt on you.

Be sure you have 4 Embers for the Felhunters so they actually die fast enough, this should be a piece of cake with your itemlevel.

one of the most difficult and fun encounters ive done on this game in awhile, spent a good couple hours on it on my 488 lock and was happy as hell when i finally got him down

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauni View Post
    I LOVED seeing the imp shout "MORE DOTS !!! MORE DOTS !!! Ok stop dots...."
    yeah.

i believe it's simple: hate before you down him, love after that. Green fire is awesome and every time another warlock wispers you "HOW DID YOU DO THAT THING??!??!??! I'VE WIPED FOR HUORS!1111|!!!!" it makes you feel "like a boss". Not to mention than the fight is damn funny.

15+ Year Old Account
    ilevel 485, I can consistently get him to around 10%, well past the second Doomguard phase. I usually bite it after getting overwhelmed by the second or third pack of imps he summons in a row, and I know I'm not maximizing my DPS enough earlier in the fight, but I'm not sure how to improve it short of improving my gear more. I imagine with ilevel 500 it would be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    ilevel 485, I can consistently get him to around 10%, well past the second Doomguard phase. I usually bite it after getting overwhelmed by the second or third pack of imps he summons in a row, and I know I'm not maximizing my DPS enough earlier in the fight, but I'm not sure how to improve it short of improving my gear more. I imagine with ilevel 500 it would be easier.
    You need to use charge every time it's off CD after the 1st cataclysm. Every other time you use it to maximize dps, then interrupt cata, then dps etc. It'll net you several hundred K more damage if done that way, and that's not negligible damage.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

15+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit I just did it! Just now. First attempt today, minutes after making that post.

http://i45.tinypic.com/v7uwic.jpg

I can't stop shaking.

Incidentally I did it with absolutely no add-ons or keybinds, just a few macros (charge @ kanrethad, fel flame @ me, demonic siphon, enslave demon & target kanrethad).

I changed my imp strategy ever-so-slightly and they died a lot faster.

On this third imp summoning in a row (after second doomguard) I popped soulshatter / cooldowns, jumped into a portal, and just dropped a rain of fire and soul burned him down the rest of the way. When he became untargetable I couldn't believe it.

The adrenaline is just starting to wear off.

Also, as rewarding a feeling as this is, I never want to fight this guy again!
    Last edited by xskarma; 2013-03-29 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Use large Thumbnails for linking large pictures next time, please

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I love the fight. Even tho i havn't killed the basterd yet. I am getting closer every time I'm in there. Got him to 24% yesterday. Wiped on the second Felhound phase.

Haven't beaten him yet, but damn! I wouldn't be without this experience. It's just awesome in so many ways.

It was pain in .. for me . Been here for about 6 hours with my 505ilvl lock and died several times to doom (yeah ultra low damage by me) . Then i saw one for me very helpfull video and killed him on 3rd pull right after first doomguard . Key is to carge/dispell as much you can .

Im happy that i dont need to come here again

I got the book yesterday night then went in an defeated him today. I would say the fight has been the most fun thing I've done this expansion. My Warlock is not my main, it's an alt I like to play due to it's competetive DPS. I went in there after speccing into Destro which I had not played since the beginning of Cata and wiped for around 5 hours before getting it.

It's like nothing I've ever done in WoW and it was a lot of fun to progress on, albeit frustrating at times, but overall I loved it.