5.2 3v3 comps with Holy Paladin and Unholy DK

Hey all,

Was thinking about starting a 3v3 team, and was looking for some feedback on what good additions are to Holy Paladin and Unholy DK. From what I've been able to gather, it looks like hunters, s priests, and warriors are popular choices. Which comps would be most effective? Are any less effective but easier to play? I'd love to hear from everybody. Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunter and SPriest would be effective. People still saying warrior are stuck in a WOTLK mentality.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Hunter and SPriest would be effective. People still saying warrior are stuck in a WOTLK mentality.

why ? TSG was one of the best comps in s9 and was decent in s10

in s12 it was amazing too because of how retarded warriors were

you can play frost TSG this patch since they buffed dk's , but playing unholy with this comp is not effective because it relies on cc immunity and massive damage, unholy is better with a caster for swaps and dotting everyone

15+ Year Old Account
    Hunter would be the best option by far, I've seen that comp many times now this season already - and I think it's becoming more popular. Swapping a DK in for the warrior is basically the new KFC.

Barring that, I'd recommend Hunter > Frost Mage > Spriest > Lock > Feral > Rogue. Rogues are obviously very strong this season, but stacking up too many melee isn't the best option this expansion due to the abundance of aoe CC's (aoe stuns in particularly, like Leg Sweep, Fists of Fury, Shockwave, Capacitor Totem, Remorseless Winter) - so generally a hybrid comp (melee + caster) or double caster comps are stronger than double melee - certain melee classes are exceptions who can be paired well with other melee (ferals, warriors, windwalkers), but rogues aren't usually among them.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2013-03-30 at 04:05 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    good old PHD making a comeback

Thanks for the quick replies and helpful information. We'll probably stay away from TSG, the DK is pretty adamant on Unholy, I think. 2 questions:

1. Yvaelle mentioned Frost Mage as a pretty solid choice as a 3rd candidate. What is Frost Mage, Holy, Unholy like?

2. Based on this information, I'm heavily considering Hunter (BM I assume?) and Frost Mage, but was also interested on SPriest and Warlock play. How would these 4 comps compare in ease of play? I am the holy paladin in this comp, btw.

Thanks for all the feedback

Either a shadow priest, hunter, or warrior... maybe even a rogue.

Honestly holy paladins are the worst healers right now, there is no reason to run with one when you have druids/shamans/priests available.

Quote Originally Posted by Nude Tayne View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies and helpful information. We'll probably stay away from TSG, the DK is pretty adamant on Unholy, I think. 2 questions:

1. Yvaelle mentioned Frost Mage as a pretty solid choice as a 3rd candidate. What is Frost Mage, Holy, Unholy like?

2. Based on this information, I'm heavily considering Hunter (BM I assume?) and Frost Mage, but was also interested on SPriest and Warlock play. How would these 4 comps compare in ease of play? I am the holy paladin in this comp, btw.

If your DK is adamant about playing unholy this is going to limit your options, much like you already knew. Playing a paladin in 3v3 is just not the same these days. You really are super susceptible to CC, ontop of that 3/4 teams run a shadow priest... and pretty much that ruins your plan of bubbling when in trouble. Probably your best bet like stated in the prior post is to run a cleave. I played TSG/PHD to around 2k rating the first 2 days of the season (2200+mmr) on ruin battle group, and it was pretty hectic with the DK being unholy, with the warrior it wasn't so bad... but the split pressure provided by the DK's aoe dots kinda of fucked with our hunter a tad bit. After he went frost with the hunter, the burst was just uncontrollable for enemy teams. Pretty much every other game was Rsham Sp something, we just put pressure on shadowpriest at the start with instant CC train on shaman, soon as we pushed some cooldowns out of the opposing team we immediately ran game and just s@^# on the opposing teams shaman. The dk+ anything comp was and is extremely strong at killing healers, specifically Rsham/Rdruid... that is just my 2 cents... so i would highly rec running a cleave in the true essence of the word cleave.... playing with wizards as a paladin this season is just no as viable as it used to be... GL

I noticed you mentioned the key word 'ease' in one of your post... if you are looking for a faceroll comp... then prolly just run PHD/thug... since those are literally faceroll, with thug there is gonna be a lapse in switching capabilities... pretty much gonna force cooldowns with initial dance, then wait (depending on how good the hunter is) for next dance to get a kill.

Make sure you do your research on which of your CC's are gonna DR with another... that is prolly most important thing atm in pvp.

---------- Post added 2013-03-30 at 10:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Hunter would be the best option by far, I've seen that comp many times now this season already - and I think it's becoming more popular. Swapping a DK in for the warrior is basically the new KFC.

Barring that, I'd recommend Hunter > Frost Mage > Spriest > Lock > Feral > Rogue. Rogues are obviously very strong this season, but stacking up too many melee isn't the best option this expansion due to the abundance of aoe CC's (aoe stuns in particularly, like Leg Sweep, Fists of Fury, Shockwave, Capacitor Totem, Remorseless Winter) - so generally a hybrid comp (melee + caster) or double caster comps are stronger than double melee - certain melee classes are exceptions who can be paired well with other melee (ferals, warriors, windwalkers), but rogues aren't usually among them.
    I literally have yet to see this spell used in any arena above 1600 in any bracket other than 2s.... pretty much any DK who runs this garbage shit is kill target lol... aoe stun that takes longer than capacitor and is easier to counter... or a free trinket... hmm i wonder.
    Last edited by hopethisnameisnottaken; 2013-03-30 at 05:12 PM.

Hpala/Hunter/DK is probably the only viable one right now.

Deleted
    Hunter or SP, both are good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hopethisnameisnottaken View Post
    I literally have yet to see this spell used in any arena above 1600 in any bracket other than 2s.... pretty much any DK who runs this garbage shit is kill target lol... aoe stun that takes longer than capacitor and is easier to counter... or a free trinket... hmm i wonder.
    In a list of aoe stuns, which is the context you are reading it from, it is a valid member of that list ;p If you read things without context, it's easy to get offended by them.

---------- Post added 2013-03-30 at 11:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nude Tayne View Post

1. It's the same old Frost Bomb->Shatter Combo, but now with necrotic stacks and 30k dot ticks rolling along. Brewski suggested Holy Paladins are the worst healers right now, which is absolutely untrue - but they do need support now (like every other healer except perhaps rshamans) - they don't just get to run around spamming instant blinding lights and sprinting off all the time. A frost mage provides the peels they need to stay effective - while also providing the burst an Unholy DK needs to turn Unholy pressure into kills. It also allows for some very strong CC chains via Mage CC -> Hpal CC, now that Hpal's don't have the instant CC's they needed before to land Repentances as follow-up - but they can still follow-up a Poly, for example.

2. Actually, BM is still obviously a strong option, but I was thinking of MM at the time. The combination of BM and Unholy pets though does sound kind of appealing for a lower-skill version of the comp, but I think you'll get more out of MM via higher burst in response to Unholy's pressure. Spriest+Unholy is Unholyplay - it's a pretty strong comp that shines at overcoming enemy CC chains and surviving enemy burst - which makes it more adaptive to different enemy compositions than Shadowcleave. Shadowcleave is Affliction+Unholy, it boasts higher effective pressure than Unholyplay (slightly higher damage and CC uptime) but lower burst, as well as some very powerful map control (warlock portals) that can allow powerful fight resets when things aren't going your way.

Shadowcleave has some harder counter-comps than Unholyplay, which makes it more challenging to learn - for that reason alone I put it below Unholyplay - but generally Shadowcleave is the more capable comp between the two. Or to put it another way, you are more likely to do well sooner with Unholyplay than with Shadowcleave, but at a mastery level, you would ultimately achieve more with Shadowcleave than Unholyplay.

Regarding ease of play between the four comps, Frost Mage > Hunter > Shadowpriest > Warlock.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2013-03-30 at 11:28 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Like others have said, I would say hunter and spriest are definitely your strongest options. Either way you still have to realize with an hpally you are running a subpar healer which makes spriest more attractive imo to keep stuff alive.