Thread: Mastery....

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mastery....

So I've read all the threads in the destro how-to thread...several times in fact and reforged a gazillion times with various haste, crit and mastery. I did pretty well dps wise but then today I looked at my character on Battle.net and read this bit...you know the bit...

Mastery: Emberstorm 'Increases the damage of Immolate, Incinerate, Fel Flame and Conflagrate by 9%. Increases the effectiveness of Burning Ember consuming spells by 24%.

I really started thinking about that. By going Mastery > Haste and Crit we improve our damage for our 'regular' spells and also our Chaos Bolt, do we not? If memory serves, crit increases Chaos Bolt damage by 30% but with enough mastery, won't you also reach that 30% damage AS WELL AS increasing the damage from your other spells? I simmed myself last week with every possible permutation of mastery, crit, and haste (only 9 variations) and the DPS increase/decrease was piddly...seriously...piddly...we're talking on the order of a 100dps or so which, in a raid environment, is nothing.

The destro guide says stack mastery for cleaving but that's not the way to go for single target. I'm at work so can't run a few LFRs to test and see but from just reading the above about Mastery, seems to me that going all mastery would increase your damage across the board for all spells.

I know I'm missing something. Again, I'm at work so can't test this myself....what am I missing!!
    Last edited by spaztom; 2013-03-31 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes, clarity

the reason u want crit or haste is for quicker ember generation, not for the extra stats they give (primary).
    Nowish <Envy> Washed up, classic hero - Feral + War dps/tank PoV-> http://sv.twitch.tv/viss3

What you're suggesting is a viable approach, just because of the fact that there are very few fights with no cleaving in it. There are some very high ranking warlocks who embrace this approach, and Zûmzum has stated he's done this to great success since mop release (and quite frankly, his logs support that claim).
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spaztom View Post
    So I've read all the threads in the destro how-to thread...several times in fact and reforged a gazillion times with various haste, crit and mastery. I did pretty well dps wise but then today I looked at my character on Battle.net and read this bit...you know the bit...

Mastery: Emberstorm 'Increases the damage of Immolate, Incinerate, Fel Flame and Conflagrate by 9%. Increases the effectiveness of Burning Ember consuming spells by 24%.
    The 24% and 9% you see on the armory are also just the base gain that you get from mastery for being speced as Destro. Armory doesn't add in any extra mastery percentage that you have gained from Mastery rating. I know that when raid buffed, I'm about 80 - 85% mastery which buffs not only Chaos Bolt, but Shadowburn (and I believe FnB as well since it is an ember consuming spell.

Personally I run a mastery==haste> crit but all of the secondary stats have really good synergy in Destro so I keep a decent amount of haste (around the 6636 threshold atm since I run an aff OS for some fights) and I get crit from trying to ensure that all of my pieces have crit on them that I will end up forging out of but I will increase my crit without having to forge into it (I went from around 2000 to 5382 so far).

Deleted
    Mastery build works pretty well idd. Every fight that lets you cleave a bit and generate some extra embers make mastery even more valuable.

I've always preferred faster over stronger, so I go haste>=crit>mastery. I avoid as much mastery as I can and I get some good numbers. Crit is best for useless damage cleave fights (meg says hi), while mastery shines on pure cleaves (council). Haste is probably the best pure single target stat.

Even on single target mastery is stronger then what simcraft makes it out to be. Atleast with the t15 set bonusses. When I sim my char the combined Chaos Bolt and Shadowburn damadge is about 35%. Even on single target Chaos Bolt/Shadowburn damadge is usually 40%+ for me, I guess it mainly has to do with using embers during procs which the sim does not do other then for Demon Soul. Now I'm not saying this is enough to make it better then haste and crit, that depends a lot on your gear and playstyle, but it's good to keep it in mind.

Then add into the mix that nearly every fight in ToT makes mastery better then on a patchwerk kind of fight, it's a good stat.

Deleted
    SimCraft says no...

So switched my reforges to mastery and used whichever guy would be best (observer or Imp) and I did very very VERY well on LFR. Unfortunately, my gear is much better than when I did LFR in the past so it's hard to compare apples to apples though some of my fights I did over 30K more dps!! I also ranked 8 times last night. Now these aren't the ToT fights since I'd already done them but Vaults and 2 others. First log is here:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...um/damageDone/ <-- This is overall...drill down to get specific bosses.

After that you can find the rest. And yes, I know that most folks on LFR are probably geared to crap and that's why I did so well but even so. I was really pleased with the results. I haven't looked at my uptimes but I'm sure they could be much better...even so not too shabby :P

I've used Simcraft extensively over the last few years and with MoP...just not feeling it as much. When I simmed myself as I am now...I should have done worse DPS...but I did better...much better.

Meh...everyone's mileage will vary I guess.

Cheers.

Hello guys!! I'm new here to this forum, I've been playing wow for 5 years, and this is the first time in my whole life as a warlock that i have something that confuses me....
    About priority of stats: This forums said:
    MMO: Haste==Crit > Mastery
    Icy veins: Crit>haste>mastery
    Noxxic: Crit>haste>mastery
    Maxdps: crit>mastery>haste (i don't trust this one not much)

all of them have in common that mastery is the less important, but for pets as a destru that stat is the most important, so u can't balance that.
    I've checked the top dps in WoLogs, and some Destruwarlocks have reforged all to Mastery, and some of them to haste... what should i do??
    This is my armory, should i do what mr robot says?: ww w. askmrrobot . com/wow/gear/usa/quel'thalas/zephonix
    (also, this page says that i make more dps as a affli, but i've make a lot of simscraft and destru's better)

thanks guys!

Deleted
    isnt destro simcraft abit shitty as afaik using chaos bolts like a mong?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    I've always preferred faster over stronger, so I go haste>=crit>mastery. I avoid as much mastery as I can and I get some good numbers. Crit is best for useless damage cleave fights (meg says hi), while mastery shines on pure cleaves (council). Haste is probably the best pure single target stat.
    but how many single target fights are there this tier?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephonix View Post
    Hello guys!! I'm new here to this forum, I've been playing wow for 5 years, and this is the first time in my whole life as a warlock that i have something that confuses me....
    About priority of stats: This forums said:
    MMO: Haste==Crit > Mastery
    Icy veins: Crit>haste>mastery
    Noxxic: Crit>haste>mastery
    Maxdps: crit>mastery>haste (i don't trust this one not much)

all of them have in common that mastery is the less important, but for pets as a destru that stat is the most important, so u can't balance that.
    I've checked the top dps in WoLogs, and some Destruwarlocks have reforged all to Mastery, and some of them to haste... what should i do??
    This is my armory, should i do what mr robot says?: ww w. askmrrobot . com/wow/gear/usa/quel'thalas/zephonix
    (also, this page says that i make more dps as a affli, but i've make a lot of simscraft and destru's better)

thanks guys!
    well, it all comes down to which grimoire you're using, if you're using gosup then haste==crit>mastery is the way to go due to more of your dmg is moved away from your ember spenders(chaos bolt/shadow burn etc.) and added to your pet dmg and ember generators(incinerate etc.) making haste superior to mastery, but if you're using gosac(afaik the grimoire talent that does the least dps now) then the stat weighs is mastery==crit>haste bcoz you're main dmging spells are your ember spenders, atleast thats what ive been told/read and that is how i understand it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    well, it all comes down to which grimoire you're using, if you're using gosup then haste==crit>mastery is the way to go due to more of your dmg is moved away from your ember spenders(chaos bolt/shadow burn etc.) and added to your pet dmg and ember generators(incinerate etc.) making haste superior to mastery, but if you're using gosac(afaik the grimoire talent that does the least dps now) then the stat weighs is mastery==crit>haste bcoz you're main dmging spells are your ember spenders, atleast thats what ive been told/read and that is how i understand it.
    true for single target. as i said above though, their really arent many of those this tier. mastery is a VERY strong stat this tier. there are tons of opportunities to lay down rain of fire and spam chaos bolts into the burn target even what you arent aoe'ing. i personally would advise a mastery heavy build for anyone that isnt reforging between fights or progressing on a single target dps check boss

Deleted
    yeah thats true, i just tend to focus more on the single target dps bcoz i value that higher than aoe, and its better for the bosses but as you said, there really isnt many, if any, tank and spank bosses this tier, so you have to do well on both types of dmg and mastery is usually the better stat when it comes to multitargeting for destro due to all the ember spenders for aoe.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    yeah thats true, i just tend to focus more on the single target dps bcoz i value that higher than aoe, and its better for the bosses but as you said, there really isnt many, if any, tank and spank bosses this tier, so you have to do well on both types of dmg and mastery is usually the better stat when it comes to multitargeting for destro due to all the ember spenders for aoe.
    its not just aoe though that makes mastery so powerful. almost every fight has additional targets that causes our ember generation to skyrocket. from RoF and immolate on both heads on mageara to sticking a RoF on the bats on tortos while you just pump chaos bolts into the turtles, imo heavy mastery is a dps gain even when you are single targeting this tier. only exceptions so far are jinrokh (which is so pathetically easy it doesnt matter) and ji-kun if you arent killing eggs

Deleted
    I raid with about 15750 mastery and ive never had so much fun on my lock, my chaos bolt hits for over a million with a potion (and im not raiding with skull banner)

Quote Originally Posted by AjayxD View Post
    I raid with about 15750 mastery and ive never had so much fun on my lock, my chaos bolt hits for over a million with a potion (and im not raiding with skull banner)
    Seems like Zumzum does the same. Stacks mastery and doesn't give a fuk about anything else.

I'll admit, I have no idea how to reforge. I have spent hours going over WoL parses of top locks; looking up their gear, spec, gems reforges etc and the one thing I can sum up is that everybody does what the fuk ever they want. There is zero consistency between top ranked locks.

You can look up Zumzum and he has like 12k mastery and 3k haste and he does like 10 billion dps but then you have locks in Method that have 12k haste and 3k mastery and they also do 10 billion dps. Like wtf implication can I draw from that?

The ONLY thing I know is that stacking mastery and using GoSac is good on fights like Horridon. The rest of the fights it really doesn't matter how you gear just as long as its good gear.

edit: and why is the top aff lock on heroic jin'rohk using GoSac? I thought it forever sucked now
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...ction_Warlock/
    Last edited by Darkith; 2013-04-04 at 05:01 AM.

The pet does not get the pool buff.

Quote Originally Posted by crysilaero View Post
    The pet does not get the pool buff.
    It does. Been proven in other threads.