Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

So Nether Tempest is going to get nerfed again.

so looks like our buff wont last long. maybe they should look at that fact our other bombs are basically useless in pve for most bosses.

Mage (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    "Shadow and warlocks were too strong in multidot". Nether Tempest says hello. With the difference mages are also OP on ST.
    Keeping an eye on NT. We want mages to have some dot capability, not be a dot class. (Source)

Where does it say we're getting nerfed? They said they were keeping an eye on us for awhile now. If you're playing ur mage as a dot class and just multidoting everything, ur doing it wrong.

I'm not playing mage as a multi-dotter. I'm simply saying for pve NT is our only decent bomb and the other cant compete so it looks like they are going to nerf NT so all 3 equally suck.

Deleted
    They're not going to nerf NT because whoever posted that for the blue to respond to is very dumb. No way in hell can a mage compete with a shadow priest or a warlock in muti dot situations.

A Mage Bomb(or just Nether Tempest as it seems to be the most op one) nerf would be more than welcome imo. I'm with Balo here, I'm a mage. If I wanted to play a multi dotter I would have rolled a spriest or a lock.

NT for fire is in no way op. And in most cases its barely even worth multidotting as fire. Our AoE is still 1 of the weakest as fire and our single target is just starting to catch up with other classes. So they wont nerf NT. At least in a way that would impact fire's dps.

Plus if you read the comment, there is no mention of a nerf, just someone who doesn't really know anything whining, and then reply that's just saying that they are keeping an eye on NT.

For frost and arcane, yes.. NT might need some tuning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well unless your hitting the haste break point to get that extra tick out of NT, LB does just as much if not more dmg (as long as you don't clip) than NT.

Of course this is just for Fire since Frost and Arcane can hit the break point very easily.

And if your just dotting up everything then your aren't maximizing your DPS like you should and really?! competing with Locks and SP?! we are just now getting close to most of them on ST let alone in a AOE situation (which we are very ill equipped) so no if Blizzard nerfs us again it will be the final nail in coffin and a pretty much FU to all mages imho.

This tweet was started by a ill informed spriest who was beaten by a fire mage on his council fight. Instead of looking at the overall picture he chooses to focus on mage bombs and compares it to 1 of his dots. By that logic perhaps we should nerf chaos bolt because it hits harder than a fireball?

What this player and many others fail to recognise is that some individual spells do better than others due to their design and the design of the fight. But its the overall picture thats important in a raid. Now im not a big fan of raid bots but its hard to find a situation where spriests have it bad.

And yes I am the Pyrostorm who responded to his BS tweet.

I just don't trust GC with mages this expansion. The wow community hates mages and wont be happy till there nerfed to the ground or deleted. When GC says were keeping an eye on NT what he really means is don't worry we will fuck mages somehow.
    Last edited by Balo; 2013-04-01 at 03:12 AM.

I too do not like being a dotting class. However, if NT is nerfed (and no1 is saying it will be) I would expect a buff somewhere else seeing as how the bomb buff was to bring mages up to a competitive lvl.
    Last edited by Babylonia; 2013-04-01 at 02:49 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I do not have one problem with me being pseudo-dot class now. Played lock for a long time so multi-dotting is kinda my second nature

But... abusing the living hell outta NT in multi-target situations (like Council) is crucial part of me being able to even keep up with our DK. If they revert the bomb buff and don't change anything else, I'm done. I'm already gradually losing the will to play my mage since 5.2 hit, another nerf would just be like a goodbye card at this point.

I'm just sick and tired of doing the same DPS as hybrids. If I wanted to be on par with everybody else, I'd bloody roll a hybrid in the first place. Actually looking at raidbot parses we're not even 'on par'. We're somewhere down the middle. 'Middle of the pack' kinda doesn't fit well for a class with three (equally shitty) DPS specs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Envyadams View Post
    Well unless your hitting the haste break point to get that extra tick out of NT, LB does just as much if not more dmg (as long as you don't clip) than NT.

Of course this is just for Fire since Frost and Arcane can hit the break point very easily.

And if your just dotting up everything then your aren't maximizing your DPS like you should and really?! competing with Locks and SP?! we are just now getting close to most of them on ST let alone in a AOE situation (which we are very ill equipped) so no if Blizzard nerfs us again it will be the final nail in coffin and a pretty much FU to all mages imho.
    The thing is that for Frost Mages NT are awesome in PvE. More tics equals more Brain Freeze proccs. Frost bomb does more burst in AoE situations but it only gives us Brain Freeze once per bomb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokhyllan View Post
    The thing is that for Frost Mages NT are awesome in PvE. More tics equals more Brain Freeze proccs. Frost bomb does more burst in AoE situations but it only gives us Brain Freeze once per bomb.
    I thought brain freeze could only proc from one NT, even if you have 8 up.
    “The Jedi…the Sith…you don’t get it, do you? To the galaxy, they’re the same thing; just men and women with too much power, squabbling over religion, while the rest of us burn.”-Atton Rand

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wargon View Post
    I thought brain freeze could only proc from one NT, even if you have 8 up.
    It does. The person you quoted is wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    It does. The person you quoted is wrong.
    I know it only procs from one NT. But NT has alot more tics than LB and that makes a bigger chance to get a Brain Freeze procc.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I know it only procs from one NT. But NT has alot more tics than LB and that makes a bigger chance to get a Brain Freeze procc.
    Not really. It has the potential to chain proc, but that's far from the norm. The average is roughly the same between the two.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nerf mage CC. Over half of all 2s/3s comps have a Mage on them. And one of the highest 2s teams is double Mages.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    Nerf mage CC. Over half of all 2s/3s comps have a Mage on them. And one of the highest 2s teams is double Mages.
    lol, so in a thread that is completely focused on NT, u go to the "nerf mage cc" card...brilliant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    Not really. It has the potential to chain proc, but that's far from the norm. The average is roughly the same between the two.
    Lets just play with MY MAGES numbers (my haste), my Living Bomb has 5 tics with ~15% chance of proccing and Nether Tempest has 12 tics with ~15% chance of proccing. Theoretically the magebomb has to tic 6 times to proc Brain Freeze. LB has a chance of not proccing during the duration NT has a chance to proc 2 times during it's duration.

Rounded up:
    Nether Tempest has 12 tics and has a chance on all the tics to give me a Brain Freeze.
    Living Bomb has 5 tics and has a chance on all the tics to give me a Brain Freeze.

They do almost the same dmg single-target. The exception is that Nether Tempest comes with more small dmg tics and Living Bomb with lett large tics so it has a chance to crit bigger and give more dmg.

It is just easy math to chose which one you should go with on a single-target fight.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lets just play with MY MAGES numbers (my haste), my Living Bomb has 5 tics with ~15% chance of proccing and Nether Tempest has 12 tics with ~15% chance of proccing. Theoretically the magebomb has to tic 6 times to proc Brain Freeze. LB has a chance of not proccing during the duration NT has a chance to proc 2 times during it's duration.

Rounded up:
    Nether Tempest has 12 tics and has a chance on all the tics to give me a Brain Freeze.
    Living Bomb has 5 tics and has a chance on all the tics to give me a Brain Freeze.

They do almost the same dmg single-target. The exception is that Nether Tempest comes with more small dmg tics and Living Bomb with lett large tics so it has a chance to crit bigger and give more dmg.

It is just easy math to chose which one you should go with on a single-target fight.
    It's the best bomb even on multi-target fight. Theoretically you'd want Frost Bomb if there's more targets. But the damage gets wasted if the mobs aren't nicely clumped together. And it severely lacks in the MF proc department...
    And the fact that it isn't limited to fixed number of targets makes it perfect to spread on anything you can reach while on the move. There's no downside really...