Performance issues. AMD = fail?

Hey guys,

my game actually runs nicely when there is not much going on. Lowering and increasing the settings does not really change much. But as soon as it get's crowded, the game is near unplayable.

Problem: Big PvE Events and WvW battles with 30+ players.

Now I wonder if my system sucks or if this game is just poorly optimized for my AMD quad core since it's a very cpu heavy game?

My system:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ ~ 3,5ghz (slightly oc)
    Nvidia Geforce 570 GTX
    4 GB Ram Dual Channel
    Motherboard: MA77OT-UD3P

I play on 1280x1024.

I'd appreciate any tips and what not .

10+ Year Old Account
    Nvidia has been notorious for being the culprit in many of these issues. Try getting the beta drivers.

Also, check the sticky.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ormance-thread
    Valar morghulis

Thanks for the help . I just installed the 314.22 (I was still using 306.97) and will have to wait until tomorrow to test it out. I'll let you know if my performance has improved.

And I meant to type "issues" in the headline -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont you worry, when i readed it I didnt nottice it, but pretty much what karizee said, updating the drivers up to the beta ones will give you a performance boost

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You still have to note that the Phenom CPUs are for lower budgets and not optimal for newer games.
    Intel currently has a way better price/performance ratio and also offers processors in the lower price segment like the Core i3-3220.

The coin flips for GPUs: NVidia is simply too expensive in most price segments, regardless of dubious arguments like "better drivers" or "PhysX"

10+ Year Old Account
    Get an i5 if you can afford it, should run it with no probs, this game does hate nvidia but I am still using a 550 ti and don't think it's a vcard issue. Everything was pretty much fixed after I swapped out my shitty dual core amd processor, but nothing can save you from zerg battles. Pretty much 10FPS no matter what you have unless you have a 1k dollar video card and processor. Game is still horribly unoptimized and ANets only solution is massive culling instead of fixing their engine or adding ability to alter particle effects. Options that should have been in the game since day 1.

My bro still has FPS drops on his 650 in WvW so I think that says something
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2013-04-02 at 03:07 PM.

Intel you pay for 90% brand and 10% increased performance over budge brand. Yes i know interwebz statistics

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    AMD Phenom II x4 975 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
    8192MB RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series 4095 MB

The Most unforgiving game ive played so far has been rift on ultra but everyone know its cpu intensive or w/e
    GW2 graphics are pretty nice I stoped playing about 3-4 months after launch Never had any problems doing WvW
    AMD is far from fail.
    OP your stock processor is a little slower than mine but with OC you are probably faster. What OS are you using ? I would suggest increasing RAM. Filter through your background applications Anti virus etc.

Ive been doing a lot of forum reading lately reading about new games an such. A lot of game companies don't take into consideration spell effects when there are 30+ people in one location. WoW did succeed at this eventually giving spell effect option. But when I do a raid rift in RIFT I feel like I am running my first computer windows 95 again. Be warned tho you may come in the crossfire of the AMD/Intel fanboys. I hope it stays constructive for you. I love my PC depending on which new MMO I switch to in coming months I will be doing some upgrading to keep my pc on par.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Pretty much 10FPS no matter what you have unless you have a 1k dollar video card and processor.
    You can easily get over 10 fps in large battles without expensive high-end components. Those are not expensive because they are so much better, they are because they're new and find enough buyers who want to increase their e-peen
    Reducing some options can help a lot before upgrading. The last patch introduced two new culling settings which should be the first to look at if someone wants to improve his WvW performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    My bro still has FPS drops on his 650 in WvW so I think that says something
    I'm confused - are you implying that the GTX 650 is a high-end card that can handle WvW without any problems?
    It is actually in the same lower-mid tier as the GTX 550 Ti and therefore expected to have problems with many players & effects at higher settings.

The GTX 570 of the OP, on the other hand, is in the higher-mid tier (+ overpriced ^^) and should offer enough performance for high-max settings at 1920x1080, if driver problems are not an issue. The Phenom is clearly the bottlebeck at CPU-heavy games like GW2, then.

Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    Be warned tho you may come in the crossfire of the AMD/Intel fanboys.
    Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    Intel you pay for 90% brand and 10% increased performance over budge brand.
    Yep... you should definitely be aware of those fanboys

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socram View Post
    You can easily get over 10 fps in large battles without expensive high-end components. Those are not expensive because they are so much better, they are because they're new and find enough buyers who want to increase their e-peen
    Reducing some options can help a lot before upgrading. The last patch introduced two new culling settings which should be the first to look at if someone wants to improve his WvW performance.

I'm confused - are you implying that the GTX 650 is a high-end card that can handle WvW without any problems?
    It is actually in the same lower-mid tier as the GTX 550 Ti and therefore expected to have problems with many players & effects at higher settings.

The GTX 570 of the OP, on the other hand, is in the higher-mid tier (+ overpriced ^^) and should offer enough performance for high-max settings at 1920x1080, if driver problems are not an issue. The Phenom is clearly the bottlebeck at CPU-heavy games like GW2, then.

Yep... you should definitely be aware of those fanboys
    It's a TI, only slightly better than mine, but comparing the min specs that ANet released for the game it should run no problem. 570 should run it no prob which is why I said get a better processor. And I'm not a fanboy of intel lol just got a good deal on an i5 and it works great. People just love to hate intel I guess. It may be hard to believe but money is not an issue for some people.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2013-04-03 at 04:17 PM.