5.3 PTR: Is low level gathering in Pandaria worth it?

In case you haven't heard from the official patch notes:
    "Herbalists of low skill can now pick herbs in Pandaria for a small amount of usable material. The yield an herbalist will be able to harvest from each node is determined by skill level."
    "Miners of low skill can now mine mineral deposits in Pandaria for a small amount of usable material. The yield a miner will be able to harvest from each node is determined by skill level."

This means you can go directly to Pandaria to level your herbing/mining from skill level 1 (a welcome change). While doing this results in a speedier leveling time, you also miss out on all low level gathering materials used for Vanilla > Cata craftables. Not to mention the fact that gathering Pandaria "nuggets & stems" offers a significantly lesser reward than max level materials, yet still eating up the same node usable by everyone else. This means: less low level materials on AH, you make less money yet level quicker, and all Panda nodes are now much more contested.

So then, doesn't this mean Pandaria routes will be even MORE crowded? Are we bringing the CRZ issues back home? I know as it is that no matter what time of day I gather, there's always one other guy circling just ahead of my route. Now I'll be contending with every man and his dog. A perpetual flying conga line of gatherers.

Thoughts?

And no, skinners. I'm so sorry. There's nothing in the patch notes about you :'[

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm also somewhat torn on this, while it is nice to be able to skill up in pandaria alone. There's going to be more people doing that, compared to old world. So might as well stick to the old world anyway.
    I think that, if you are just interested in the high lvl stuff. And don't need anything for another profession. Then you might as well just lvl in pandaria, but if you need other mats. Might as well gather them yourself instead of paying for it. And with this new system, prices on old world materials will rise even more.

Which in turn will likely make some farmers stay with the old materials to make a profit, and voila nothing really changed.

And no, skinners. I'm so sorry. There's nothing in the patch notes about you
    That's too bad, skinning is the worst to lvl of the 3. And would benefit the most from this new system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    I'm also somewhat torn on this, while it is nice to be able to skill up in pandaria alone. There's going to be more people doing that, compared to old world. So might as well stick to the old world anyway.
    I think that, if you are just interested in the high lvl stuff. And don't need anything for another profession. Then you might as well just lvl in pandaria, but if you need other mats. Might as well gather them yourself instead of paying for it. And with this new system, prices on old world materials will rise even more.

Which in turn will likely make some farmers stay with the old materials to make a profit, and voila nothing really changed.

That's too bad, skinning is the worst to lvl of the 3. And would benefit the most from this new system.
    The old world is using cross realm zone technology, increasing competition for nodes. Up until this point Pandaria does not use X-realm, so you will probably still see less farmers even after this change.

This is a complete non-issue

1. spawn rates are determined by how many people are actively harvesting. Even if there aer more ´farmers´ now because of this change, it only means there will be faster respawn of ore/herbs.

2. The number of people doing this will be pretty small. Once you get to lvl 60, raising skill in herb/mining is very fast with flying mounts (even with CRZ). Most people who wanted herb or mining probably already have it. You are greatly exaggerating the number of people who will need to use this ´new´ method

3. The sky is not falling. There were very similar posts regarding blacksmithing and how it would make the AH crazy.. Ghost iron ore did not increase in value because of the changes to BS (mainly because, as I said, most people who wanted BS already had it).

4. As I pointed out above, the price of ghost iron ore and most herbs is very low.. in fact, in most cases, EVEN with the change to BS.. old world herbs/ore have a higher price than Panda stuff. So even if you have a level 85 character who decides they want to now raise mining/herbing.. many of them will choose to do it in the old world.

It really isn´t that many people that need/want to do it, and ore/herb spawn rates are determined by how much they farmed anyway.

In any case I would much rather sit in pandaria than to go farm it in other places.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a step in the right direction, just hope they go along with in by making it like that in future expansions, and pretty much any node that exists(Higher level vanilla/Outland/Northred/Cata).

Quote Originally Posted by Jdance View Post
    In any case I would much rather sit in pandaria than to go farm it in other places.
    Bear in mind this is for lvl 85+ only, but yeah I think it's safe to say sitting in Pandaria is the future of gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by mathezar View Post
    The old world is using cross realm zone technology, increasing competition for nodes. Up until this point Pandaria does not use X-realm, so you will probably still see less farmers even after this change.
    at least we wont have to lose nodes to randoms from other servers anymore

I'm confused why it needed to be done. I leveled a Miner/Herbalist during MoP and the old world flew by no problem. Blacksmithing needed it and got it, LW needs it but probably won['t get it.

Of all the profs that needed a boost, I don't see why these did, especially when you can fly in all the pre-MoP zones anyway.

They could always reintroduce the "scraps" system for skinning...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Didn't need to be done and it screws over legitimate farmers who make their profit from old world materials.

"Boo hoo somebody's taking my nodes CRZ" - Boo hoo if you played on a decent population server before CRZ there'd be people there too.
    I was competing back on WrA and even The Scryers in old-world zones from time to time. Welcome to "MMO".

I can only pray the benefit of this is so minor that this isn't the only route and instead only dangles a tiny piece of meat over people's heads;
    That and they don't boost crafting professions as well to make old-world nodes useless. Complete waste and completely unnecessary - Only catering to the absolute most lazy of players. (Not to mention; Emptying the zones that Blizzard tried so hard to repopulate in the first place.)

Quote Originally Posted by Millie View Post
    I'm confused why it needed to be done. I leveled a Miner/Herbalist during MoP and the old world flew by no problem. Blacksmithing needed it and got it, LW needs it but probably won['t get it.

Of all the profs that needed a boost, I don't see why these did, especially when you can fly in all the pre-MoP zones anyway.
    I recall burning through 1-525 in around a day or two, but it's more the fact that places like Twilight Highlands slow down the rate of progress SIGNIFICANTLY because of the no-spawnery. Then someone else would be flying the same route and your time spent is doubled.
    Though I agree, of all the profs (crafting) these gathering ones didn't exactly NEED a shortcut.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDDGuides View Post
    I recall burning through 1-525 in around a day or two, but it's more the fact that places like Twilight Highlands slow down the rate of progress SIGNIFICANTLY because of the no-spawnery. Then someone else would be flying the same route and your time spent is doubled.
    Though I agree, of all the profs (crafting) these gathering ones didn't exactly NEED a shortcut.
    fix alchemy pls

Quote Originally Posted by LimeWyndham View Post
    fix alchemy pls
    Try a different profession, sir.