Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How big of a role does social media have on you politically?

I am doing a research essay on the role of social media in political activism. I was hoping the good people of MMO-Champion would share their insights on this topic with me. I have included a very basic survey, only 10 questions. However, I welcome comments, suggestions, and/or experiences. Thank you for your time and perspectives!
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZB9ZVKN
    Last edited by 44104; 2013-04-02 at 06:03 PM.

Flawed survey, assumes everyone uses social media. I am part of the largest political funding group, and we have no presence on social media at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Social media has no bearing on my political views/activism in any way.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Easier to communicate with fellow libertarians. Doesn't change my views much. Just easier to gather and commincaute.

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by goodwrench View Post
    Flawed survey, assumes everyone uses social media. I am part of the largest political funding group, and we have no presence on social media at all.
    Ok, what should I add specifically? My line of thinking was that a "no" meant someone who doesn't use social media. The essay is on the use of social media, so the survey reflects that.

I would however like to have a better understanding of what you mean by "largest political funding group", and how you go about getting people to be politically active. How do you gather support and presumably money for this group?

I am more interested in the individual's perspectives, than any group for this particular survey. But if you get specific I would be happy to take your thoughts into consideration.
    Last edited by 44104; 2013-04-02 at 04:43 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have not really cared about politics much before social media and neither after it. Sure, I checked how parties see things and base my vote on that, but nothing more really. I also use social media rarely and only follow/befriend people I know IRL, so no politics in social media for me.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

We'll I befriended 2 politicans from my own country inn Denmark. Occasionally they both write something on facebook, so that way I see abit off whats going on, from there POV.

One of them are Head of nato, Anders Fogh. The guy is a legend to me personally. He maybe aint the perfect prime minister Denmark has had, but he is still the (now) the most powerfull Danish citizen ever inn newere time.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

When picking political affiliation, if you pick other it won't allow you to progress until you've chosen one. As someone who is further left than most American parties yet not as idealistic as the Green Party, there's not really any decent option other than Democrat I guess which isn't exactly accurate.

For some personal input, my social networking activities usually revolve around real life friends and while I enjoy their company and respect their opinions, most of them are woefully ignorant of how politics and government function, as such I usually keep things light while using social networking and get more in depth where there's a degree of anonymity (usually this forum :P)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't read the news paper, I don't watch TV, I don't visit any sort of website that would post that sort of stuff (barring posts like this on MMO-Champ). I am about as disconnected from politics as I can get lol. I don't even talk about it at work, and when I do, it's usually "Sorry, I don't really pay much attention to politics" and the conversation changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Yes, actually. It is what made be interested in classical liberalism/right-libertarianism. Although I am wary around mass media, I don't really trust them.

Also, nice survey, but a little bit too US-centric.

10+ Year Old Account
    Social media has no effect on my political leanings. I have voted in every local and national election since I turned 18 and my decisions are based on my beliefs, not the internet's. If there's an issue that I don't have an opinion on I research the social and economic pros and cons and go from there.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    When picking political affiliation, if you pick other it won't allow you to progress until you've chosen one. As someone who is further left than most American parties yet not as idealistic as the Green Party, there's not really any decent option other than Democrat I guess which isn't exactly accurate.

For some personal input, my social networking activities usually revolve around real life friends and while I enjoy their company and respect their opinions, most of them are woefully ignorant of how politics and government function, as such I usually keep things light while using social networking and get more in depth where there's a degree of anonymity (usually this forum :P)

Did the "other" option not work? I fixed it thank you for pointing that out for me. I understand what you are saying, I didn't want to really get to caught up in parties, and I was hoping that option would allow for perspectives other than those I presented. I knew posting here would give me a worldly perspective and I wanted that, but I couldn't list everyone's party, I was really hoping the option would help with that.

I want to thank you for taking the time to assist me and share your perspectives I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by 44104; 2013-04-02 at 12:40 PM.

None at all, since i don't really use any social media.

Almost none. My Facebook feed's political activity consists of idiots posting picture memes that they think make valid or cutesy points.

10+ Year Old Account
    None , dont use social media in any way, shape or form to follow politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    I cant help but to comment on people, posting political stuff on for example facebook - but ONLY when they're being idiots about it..
    example: Someone posted an article saying "so much this" - the article was about a politician who wanted to lower the money we give to the farmers, because they were getting too rich. - It's BS, we all now that. I couldnt help myself, I had to call the guy an idiot and demand the politicians head.
    I like juice

Deleted
    Completed survey.

As a side note; I feel social media is a good tool to spread information. However said information can often be heavily influenced/tainted by those who choose to relay it. Cherrypicking for the most part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Next to none. Social media does give me good insight as to which of my friends I consider to be idiots politically though.

I am a news junkie. Watch Bill Maher every Friday and MSNBC. Also watch CNBC, CNN, and Fox to get varying views. If you watch only one thing you get a very very very skewed view of the world to the right or the left.

10+ Year Old Account
    0.005%. I don't spend much time on Facebook/Twitter, but occasionally the news will mention something someone tweeted that I'll take note of.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!